Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/22/2015 4:34:21 PM EDT
I just took my wife's new SP101 out to shoot some reloads in to be sure everything is GTG before letting her shoot it.

Two different loads exhibit very hard extraction.  I can push them out with my gloved hand but just barely.

I don't have any factory loads in .357Mag as I have always shot reloads.

These are two new loads, but not at max.

Wondering if anyone else has had this with the SP101?  I'm going out now to try the same reloads in my S&W 686.

BTW, Ruger chambers measure .380"  S&W measure .384"?????
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:36:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Have you been shooting 38's through it?
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 4:49:04 PM EDT
[#2]
Rugers at times can have rough chambers. I would check for this visually and maybe run a toothpick or something along the chambers to feel for any imperfections. Also look for any sharp spots on the extractor and around the rim of the chambers.

I had an SP101 that had rough chambers.  I could still extract though.  I have a 32 H&R Single Six birdshead that had a small burr in one of the chambers that I had to buff out.  Extracts well now.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:01:42 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Have you been shooting 38's through it?
View Quote

No, I have owned and shot .357Mags all my adult life.  I know about that problem.

But, thanks for asking.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:04:30 PM EDT
[#4]
I just returned from shooting the same reloads through my S&W 686 and it liked them just fine.  No hard extraction at all, in fact, most dropped out before I used the ejector.

So I guess I'll call Ruger tomorrow.  Bummer.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:07:37 PM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
Rugers at times can have rough chambers. I would check for this visually and maybe run a toothpick or something along the chambers to feel for any imperfections. Also look for any sharp spots on the extractor and around the rim of the chambers.

I had an SP101 that had rough chambers.  I could still extract though.  I have a 32 H&R Single Six birdshead that had a small burr in one of the chambers that I had to buff out.  Extracts well now.

View Quote

I looked at the chambers and they don't look bad at all.  They look polished except for the very end, where the case doesn't touch.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:12:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Exactly what brands of ammo were you shooting? I had not one, but two sp101's do this to me within 6 months. I sent the first one in for warranty and they made the extraction better, but it came back with crappy timing. The other one had the same issue initially, rough extraction. After that I was done with Ruger. They told me they will only warranty it if it fails to extract with American ammo that is on their list, which is reasonable I suppose, except every other gun I have works with PMC bronze and blazer brass, etc.

BTW mine only had the shells getting stuck with 357's. 38's didn't have any problem extracting. When the 357's got stuck, they were REALLY stuck. I had to pick them out with a knife. Unacceptable quality control in my opinion. Especially since this has been brought to their attention multiple times and they haven't bothered to track down the faulty machine or whatever is causing this.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:22:20 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Exactly what brands of ammo were you shooting? I had not one, but two sp101's do this to me within 6 months. I sent the first one in for warranty and they made the extraction better, but it came back with crappy timing. The other one had the same issue initially, rough extraction. After that I was done with Ruger. They told me they will only warranty it if it fails to extract with American ammo that is on their list, which is reasonable I suppose, except every other gun I have works with PMC bronze and blazer brass, etc.

BTW mine only had the shells getting stuck with 357's. 38's didn't have any problem extracting. When the 357's got stuck, they were REALLY stuck. I had to pick them out with a knife. Unacceptable quality control in my opinion. Especially since this has been brought to their attention multiple times and they haven't bothered to track down the faulty machine or whatever is causing this.

View Quote

I only shot two of my reloads through it and my S&W 686.  10 rounds of each load through each.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:29:37 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:
I only shot two of my reloads through it and my S&W 686.  10 rounds of each load through each.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Well they may take it back and fix it anyway. My particular customer service agent asked what ammo I had been using and when I told her it was foreign she said that I should shoot some winchester and get back to her.

Link Posted: 11/22/2015 5:47:07 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Well they may take it back and fix it anyway. My particular customer service agent asked what ammo I had been using and when I told her it was foreign she said that I should shoot some winchester and get back to her.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, they probably won't like the idea that I shot reloads.
Link Posted: 11/22/2015 11:17:47 PM EDT
[#10]
Maybe you should shoot some US made ammo just to ensure that it'll have the same malfunction when they test it. My experience with this issue is that it is very ammo dependent. Most 357's did it but I found that high end defensive ammo did not cause the jam.

For clarification, my issue was the same as yours. 357 was the first ammo shot out of the revolver and I only shot 38 to see if it got stuck as well, so I know it wasn't due to carbon buildup from the 38's.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 1:02:24 AM EDT
[#11]
Yes, I plan to buy some Winchester, Remington, etc., what ever I can find and give it a try.  I don't expect it to be any different though.  But in case they ask.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 2:21:34 AM EDT
[#12]

Quoted:

Yes, I plan to buy some Winchester, Remington, etc., what ever I can find and give it a try.  I don't expect it to be any different though.  But in case they ask.

View Quote
I don't SUSPECT that it will be different. Update the thread as you make progress please. I'm interested to see how it pans out and if they take care of you.

Link Posted: 11/23/2015 3:38:26 PM EDT
[#13]
I called Ruger customer service today and got a RMA# to send the gun back.  They are sending UPS to get it tomorrow.

No questions, except what is the problem.

I'll update as I learn more.
Link Posted: 11/23/2015 8:27:19 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

I called Ruger customer service today and got a RMA# to send the gun back.  They are sending UPS to get it tomorrow.

No questions, except what is the problem.

I'll update as I learn more.
View Quote
Please do update. I'm betting they'll replace the cylinder and ejector.

Link Posted: 12/10/2015 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#15]
Any updates on this?
Link Posted: 12/10/2015 9:13:38 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
Any updates on this?
View Quote

The gun is back from Ruger.  Just haven't had time to shoot it.

I will update.

Link Posted: 12/19/2015 2:04:18 PM EDT
[#17]
I promised to updated this so, I finally got out to shoot the SP101 I got back from Ruger's repair shop.

It's better, at least I don't have to beat the empties out.  But the ejection is still extremely difficult.

Debating now whether to send it back to Ruger or just have a gunsmith here in town fix it.

I own and have owned many Ruger guns over the years and never had anything like this happen.

To say the least, I'm very disappointed and will think twice before I ever buy another Ruger.
Link Posted: 12/19/2015 10:47:13 PM EDT
[#18]
The
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:16:11 AM EDT
[#19]

- they
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 12:15:20 PM EDT
[#20]
First, welcome to ARFCOM.  I hope you didn't come here just to bash Ruger.  I understand your pain, and appreciate your disdain for them.

I don't think I will be working on this gun myself.  I will send it back to them as many times needed and will report such to this board and all other gun related boards when the subject comes up.  Each time I will express my disgust for their shoddy quality control and amateur repairs.

With that said, I'll be calling Ruger support tomorrow morning.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 1:54:34 PM EDT
[#21]
I'm sorry. You can continue to monopolize the bashing. Enjoy your pistol - don't cut yourself on it.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 2:06:50 PM EDT
[#22]
Nothing to be sorry about, just hoping you will contribute more to ARFCOM, than Ruger bashing.

Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:10:07 PM EDT
[#23]
<please read the Code of Conduct>
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 5:53:03 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
View Quote

We really don't need people like you here.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 6:45:26 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Four posts in, and already an issue
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 9:12:53 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

I looked at the chambers and they don't look bad at all.  They look polished except for the very end, where the case doesn't touch.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I couldn't visually tell on my Super Redhawk .454 either, but I had to pound some cases out with a dowel. Ruger installed a new cylinder for me and it has been flawless since then.
Link Posted: 12/21/2015 6:51:09 AM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:

I promised to updated this so, I finally got out to shoot the SP101 I got back from Ruger's repair shop.

It's better, at least I don't have to beat the empties out.  But the ejection is still extremely difficult.

Debating now whether to send it back to Ruger or just have a gunsmith here in town fix it.

I own and have owned many Ruger guns over the years and never had anything like this happen.

To say the least, I'm very disappointed and will think twice before I ever buy another Ruger.
View Quote
This is pretty similar to my experience. I have a 70's super blackhawk that is top notch. No issues, beautiful gun all around. My experience with multiple sp101's has me very weary to buy ruger.

Link Posted: 12/21/2015 10:23:11 AM EDT
[#28]

I shot about 25 rounds of reloaded 357 mag through a 2.5" SP101 yesterday.  I've also shot a bunch of commercial 38 through this particular revolver and I've never had an issue with it.  I'll be really interested in what the root cause of the extraction issues are.
Link Posted: 12/22/2015 3:46:58 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

I shot about 25 rounds of reloaded 357 mag through a 2.5" SP101 yesterday.  I've also shot a bunch of commercial 38 through this particular revolver and I've never had an issue with it.  I'll be really interested in what the root cause of the extraction issues are.
View Quote

I think it's like anything you buy, there are going to be a certain percentage of flawed one come out.  I'm not saying it's ok, their QC should catch this kind of flaw.  

But what really is inexcusable is the returned after repair, was no better.
Link Posted: 12/25/2015 11:04:17 AM EDT
[#30]
My 101 had one cylinder that was always just a bit sticky even with factory ammo.
Link Posted: 12/26/2015 3:48:45 PM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
My 101 had one cylinder that was always just a bit sticky even with factory ammo.
View Quote

Something I noticed was that if I would shoot just one round, and I tried all five holes, it would eject fine.

But if I loaded all five holes and shot then, damn difficult to eject.  It hurt my hand trying to push the ejector rod.  Then could just barely get them out???

Link Posted: 1/24/2016 3:19:48 PM EDT
[#32]
Well to update this thread as promised, I got the Ruger SP101 back Wednesday 1-21-2016  Sent 12-28-2015

I sent the gun in for hard ejection/extraction issues for the second time.  I bought the gun new in November.

It came back the first time with the same exact problem as when new, basically had to hammer the ejector rod on something solid to get the spent casings out of the cylinder.

Took the gun out today to see if it was fixed after being back to Ruger the second time.

I fired 5 rounds of Federal 158Gr SJFP and they ejected, but not easily, but they did eject.  Major improvement.

I then fired 5 more Federal 158s and they ejected, but not easily at all, but didn't have to pound them out.

I then shot 5 rounds of my reloads, 158Gr Extreme FP, mild load.  Ejection was noticeable easier.

It's my wifes gun so I'll have her shoot it to see if she wants to keep it or trade it for something else.

Although I'm still not satisfied with the way it ejects, at least I would not feel bad about trading the gun as it does now work OK.

To say the least I'm dissatisfied with Ruger Warranty repair work.  

This experience will make me think twice before buying another Ruger product.

BYW, I own and have owned several Ruger firearms and enjoy them.  This is the first Ruger I've ever had a problem with.
Link Posted: 1/25/2016 8:27:45 PM EDT
[#33]
Sorry to hear they didn't completely resolve the issue. Mine were both still quite sticky after getting worked on. It's too bad because it's sweet tank of a little gun but lately QC has been terrible.
Link Posted: 1/27/2016 5:32:43 PM EDT
[#34]
Later Sunday evening I sent an email to the Ruger CEO and the last guy that I was in contact with in Concord.

I just told them I was very disappointed in their warranty/repair work and was fed up with it all.

Monday morning, someone from Ruger called me, not sure who as the connection was very noisy.  He apologized for me having trouble with the gun and wanted me to ship it in again to be repaired.

I told him they had already had three chances to get it right and I would not be sending it in again.

I'm going to let my wife shoot it and if she doesn't mind the difficult ejection, we'll keep it.  If she has trouble with it, I'll trade it off for something else.

When I told the guy on the phone the above, he seemed satisfied and hung up.

Very disappointed, but hey, that's life and on we go.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:49:21 PM EDT
[#35]
Check the ejector plate (star) often time the material over hangs the chamber wall (it doesn't take much) when the gun fires and the base expands the ejector plate binds up. If it will eject from every chamber when loaded single from every chamber but not when fully loaded this would explain it. I've had this issue with a couple of RHs as well as a couple of 454 SRHs. This is one of those places where removing a little material is a lot.
Link Posted: 1/30/2016 11:54:08 PM EDT
[#36]

Quoted:

Later Sunday evening I sent an email to the Ruger CEO and the last guy that I was in contact with in Concord.

I just told them I was very disappointed in their warranty/repair work and was fed up with it all.

Monday morning, someone from Ruger called me, not sure who as the connection was very noisy.  He apologized for me having trouble with the gun and wanted me to ship it in again to be repaired.

I told him they had already had three chances to get it right and I would not be sending it in again.

I'm going to let my wife shoot it and if she doesn't mind the difficult ejection, we'll keep it.  If she has trouble with it, I'll trade it off for something else.

View Quote
Pretty much how the acted towards me too. They expect you to pay 500 dollars for a new gun and then have it tied up in repairs/shipping for 3 months. IMO if they can't get it right after the first repair then they should give you a new gun. It put me off to ruger in a big way.

Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:49:55 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
Pretty much how the acted towards me too. They expect you to pay 500 dollars for a new gun and then have it tied up in repairs/shipping for 3 months. IMO if they can't get it right after the first repair then they should give you a new gun. It put me off to ruger in a big way.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm put off also, but I still like my Ruger guns and will buy Ruger again, but not new.  I'll look for good used older guns, like I do with S&W.
Link Posted: 3/10/2016 3:07:55 PM EDT
[#38]
An update is in order.
Since I decided not to let Ruger disappoint me again, after two previous trips back for repair, I thought I'd try to fix it myself.

Removed the cylinder, checked to see if the ejector was over-hanging the chambers, no for all five.

So I put some cloth backed 240 grit tore into 3/4" strips in a split mandrel and sanded out all five chambers a little at a time till the case that was the hardest to eject would come out of all five holes with just my finger nails.

I then polished all the chambers with crocus cloth on the mandrel to a high shine that was very smooth.

Cleaned everything up, assembled and test fired.  Hard extract/eject problem solved.

My reloads eject with just a touch of the ejector rod, factory .357mags take a bit more effort.

My wife has no problem ejecting anything now and kinda likes the gun.  I like it too, it shoots very well.

Now why couldn't the Ruger repair shop do that.  They are parts changers, not gunsmiths.  And I certainly don't consider myself a gunsmith, but I am mechanical by nature.

So my dealer, not knowing that I had fixed the problem, from whom I bought the gun calls Ruger and tells them the story of two repair trips and still not fixed.  Customer not wanting to send in again, what could they do to resolve this problem.  He, the dealer, suggested they needed to replace the gun.

They called him back today and they want me to send gun into repair shop again so they can fix it.  What a shame, I expected more from Ruger.

I now consider their customer service poor.  YMMV.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top