Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/17/2015 11:53:48 PM EDT
I have been looking at some ammo to feed my new Blackhawk and was wanting some idea what other people are using out there. I know and understand that every round has its pros and cons not looking for that good for everything bullet.

First I'm looking for a good two legged round not that this will be my go to weapon just want something that will work and is not to much over kill. Next I'm looking for I guess a working round one that would be for day to day use able to take out anything the size of a mountain lion. Last I'm looking for that bear round yes I don't like e in bear country but have a job offer in it and have the right tool for the job but like to know I have back up.

Thanks for the help!
Link Posted: 11/19/2015 4:12:28 PM EDT
[#1]
I would think that any loads with HP or lead bullets in the 220gr to 255gr size should do just fine for 2 and 4 legged critters. The standard load for 45 Colt is 240 or 250 gr bullets. I'm just getting back into reloading and for normal loads will be loading 250gr hard cast lead bullets. I shot them for 8 years doing cowboy action shooting. I used full standard loads not weak loads and they worked just fine. If you are going into bear country I would probably look at 280 to 320gr lead bullets. Buffalo Bore would be a good choice for heavy loads. The Blackhawk should handle them just fine. But give them a call and see what they recommend.
Link Posted: 11/20/2015 6:06:39 PM EDT
[#2]
300 grain cast lead.  :)
Link Posted: 12/24/2015 5:29:34 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, a Ruger NM Blackhawk I bought years ago at a gun show. I shoot mainly lead cowboy rounds in the 200 gr range. But for serious work I like the Cor-Bon JHP 200 gr load with a listed velocity of 1100 fps. The Blackhawk has never let me down, I'd use it in bear country. Just be prepared to (remember) that its a single action. Knew a guy that forgot and got mauled pretty bad.
Link Posted: 12/30/2015 5:01:03 PM EDT
[#4]
You definitely need to remember to cock that SA.  One of the reasons I opted for the Ruger Alaskan as my mountain protection gun.

Not much experience with 45 Colt self defense loads, but heard good things about Winchester PDX but believe there are a lot of good options.

For the mountains, by preferred four legged load for protection and hunting is Buffalo Bore's 325gr WFNGC heavy 45 Colt loads.  They are a handful in the standard XR1 frame Blackhawks.  My Super Blackhawk has the Bisley grip frame that makes the round more comfortable to shoot.
Link Posted: 1/8/2016 2:02:38 PM EDT
[#5]
if you handload ( and you should )
the SIERRA load data book has 45LC Ruger only loads

Link Posted: 1/12/2016 12:35:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I would think that any loads with HP or lead bullets in the 220gr to 255gr size should do just fine for 2 and 4 legged critters. The standard load for 45 Colt is 240 or 250 gr bullets. I'm just getting back into reloading and for normal loads will be loading 250gr hard cast lead bullets. I shot them for 8 years doing cowboy action shooting. I used full standard loads not weak loads and they worked just fine. If you are going into bear country I would probably look at 280 to 320gr lead bullets. Buffalo Bore would be a good choice for heavy loads. The Blackhawk should handle them just fine. But give them a call and see what they recommend.
View Quote

Agree on the Buffalo Bore, in the 300+ range. Good stuff for hunting or self-defense... just be sure to practice with it to be certain you are able to control it.
Link Posted: 1/22/2016 7:28:42 PM EDT
[#7]
Keith's 255 hardcast SWC and 8-9 grains Unique has a well deserved reputation for an all purpose field load.

Speer's 250 grain Gold Dot Hollowpoint with a healthy dose of 2400 will handle anything 2 legged and most 4 legged animals including cougar and the smaller bears.

If you think you need more Ommph than these 2 loads you need more rifle, not more handgun.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 4:07:26 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Keith's 255 hardcast SWC and 8-9 grains Unique has a well deserved reputation for an all purpose field load.

Speer's 250 grain Gold Dot Hollowpoint with a healthy dose of 2400 will handle anything 2 legged and most 4 legged animals including cougar and the smaller bears.

If you think you need more Ommph than these 2 loads you need more rifle, not more handgun.
View Quote

This is the exact load I use.
Link Posted: 1/24/2016 6:19:40 AM EDT
[#9]
Don't know much about the caliber...yet. Does Speer make any Gold Dots in .45LC? *google* Well, yes they do, 250gr of awesomeness apparently.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p04Mggfnj00
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WX77YhewH1I
Link Posted: 1/31/2016 12:19:15 AM EDT
[#10]
A 335 cast with a maximun charge of 296 will get you to 1350 fps in a 5.5 " gun, how fast do you want to go ?
Link Posted: 2/20/2016 1:07:56 PM EDT
[#11]
Some info for you:

Linebaugh on the 45 Colt
Link Posted: 2/23/2016 2:15:51 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

View Quote

My favorite load since 1982.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top