Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/13/2015 11:18:12 AM EDT
I'll be in the market for a small 9mm CCW piece soon.Thoughts on the Ruger LC9S as opposed to the Shield or 43?

Thanks for any thoughts,
Sundance
Link Posted: 5/13/2015 12:57:06 PM EDT
[#1]
IMO the LC9 Pro has the best trigger of the three.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 2:56:46 AM EDT
[#2]
Im in the same boat, considering all 3. Next monday is free gun rental at the range n i plan on trying them all to see which one i like best
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 3:59:27 AM EDT
[#3]
I'd go with exactly how you asked:
LC9S Pro
S&W M&P Shield
Glock 43

But go and shoot all 3 and see which one fits YOU the best and get it.

Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:48:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
LC9S Pro
S&W M&P Shield
Glock 43

View Quote

I agree. I own a Shield and an LC9s PRO and I prefer the PRO. Also, I know I'm in the minority, but I don't like Glocks at all.
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 5:52:20 PM EDT
[#5]
+1 on LC9s Pro
Link Posted: 5/14/2015 10:05:16 PM EDT
[#6]
Hell, I can't even find an LGS with all three in stock so I can compare at one time!
Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:40:48 PM EDT
[#7]
Did you really think you were going to get support for the G43 in the... Ruger forum???

G43 hands down.

Glock > all others

Link Posted: 5/15/2015 8:57:49 PM EDT
[#8]
The only one I have experience with is the Shield. It shot reasonably well.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 12:06:34 PM EDT
[#9]

Was lucky enough that the lgs had the lc9s and the shield. The lc9s' trigger was hugely better than the shield when compared back to back. The shield felt mushy compared.
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 10:18:22 PM EDT
[#10]
The LC9s conceals better in the pocket than the Glock; it's too blocky (duh, it's a Glock.) The Ruger is smooth and rounded.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 7:24:26 PM EDT
[#11]
I did that comparison today along with several other 9mm single stacks.  I bought the Ruger LC9s Pro.

Trigger, weight, size and shape won me.

Glock is blocky.  It is nice, though.

Shield is a shield.  I personally do not like any of the M&P guns.

Looked at a new Bersa.  Nice trigger BTW.  But bigger and heavier.

I was looking for light, concealable with good trigger.  

LC9s Pro.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:01:23 PM EDT
[#12]
I have a LC9s and love it. The trigger out of the box is amazing. The Lc9's' has the safety and the Pro does not.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 9:23:39 PM EDT
[#13]
LC9s is a excellent pistol.

Got one a short time ago. I am in love with it!

I compared it side to side with the 43 and Shield. For me it was best.

I chose the standard model with thumb safety and then the bypass mod on the mag disconnect.

The thumb safety is not a terrible feature. If you dont want to use it, then dont use it. I LIKE IT.

The trigger is outstanding.

The accuracy is impressive.  

The tapered lines of the slide make it a race car instead of a box car that the Shield and 43 are.

After shooting the piss out of it lately, I have only one con on it. The slide release is a bitch to use. I hope it wears in and gets easier to use.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 10:04:31 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
LC9S Pro
S&W M&P Shield
Glock 43

View Quote

the best advice possible.
I got the LC9S Pro for myself.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 7:50:16 AM EDT
[#15]
I had been wanting to get to the range to rent the LC9s, Shield and a G17 (for other reasons), but the other day I stopped by the LGS to compare the Shield and LC9s side by side for just a brief moment.  The last time I held an LC9 or LC9s, I don't recall it fitting my hand as well as it did the other night.  The Shield of course felt better, since it's bigger.  But I'd been searching around for deals on either.  The other day, I re-realized sort of how close the Shield is to my G26 in size, and that basically pushed me towards the Ruger, as it is, to me, noticeably smaller.  And it is more streamlined or smoothed out.  As luck would have it, found a place with the LC9s Pro at a price I couldn't pass up.   linky

Free shipping too!

If I didn't already have the G26, I'd probably have gone with the Shield.  Hard to find anybody not happy with it.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:01:13 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.

For me, after shooting both, it came down to which one I could find for the best price.

Went to Psa and they had the river for 350. After .mil discount its was a little under.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:39:40 AM EDT
[#17]
WTF, $310 shipped.

This pistol gets better and better.

Ruger is going to capture the large percentage of the entire CCW small 9 market.

Even if all three were the same price. I feel the Ruger is better.

At prices like $310 shipped, the LC9s is a MUST BUY!
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 11:32:59 PM EDT
[#18]
I have both the LC9s and the Glock 43.  I like the look and feel of the Glock but I actually shoot the Ruger better.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 12:45:13 AM EDT
[#19]
I finally shot mine and love the way it shoots. The only problem I have is that  the grip is really small for my mitts. What slip on grips are there for it other than the Hogue?
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 2:29:38 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
View Quote

This.  I tried one out last night, my heart melted.  It's THAT smoothe.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 5:09:02 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
I finally shot mine and love the way it shoots. The only problem I have is that  the grip is really small for my mitts. What slip on grips are there for it other than the Hogue?
View Quote

Pachmayr has one also.

http://www.pachmayr.com/home/tactical-grip-gloves.php

I agree the grip is too small. Was thinking about trying one on mine.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:39:16 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
View Quote

You should try some Talon grips. They significantly improve the feel of the LC9s.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 11:50:54 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
LC9s is a excellent pistol.

Got one a short time ago. I am in love with it!

I compared it side to side with the 43 and Shield. For me it was best.

I chose the standard model with thumb safety and then the bypass mod on the mag disconnect.

The thumb safety is not a terrible feature. If you dont want to use it, then dont use it. I LIKE IT.

The trigger is outstanding.

The accuracy is impressive.  

The tapered lines of the slide make it a race car instead of a box car that the Shield and 43 are.

After shooting the piss out of it lately, I have only one con on it. The slide release is a bitch to use. I hope it wears in and gets easier to use.
View Quote

It is a "slide lock", not a release. It functions how it is supposed to. Rack that slide back and you will be better off.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 4:41:05 PM EDT
[#24]
LC9s Pro has the best trigger. Also the best mag capacity with the 9-round extended, while also the smallest in form with the stock mags.
Link Posted: 6/21/2015 5:26:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I suspect the Ruger forum is a bit biased. I like all three but I'd have a hard time picking the LC9s Pro over the other two. A stainless or melonite option would bring it closer. The Glock is my preference but the Shield is very good too. The Ruger just doesn't feel as solid. I think you probably have to handle and shoot them all to really decide.
Link Posted: 6/23/2015 7:09:34 PM EDT
[#26]

Quoted:

I suspect the Ruger forum is a bit biased. I like all three but I'd have a hard time picking the LC9s Pro over the other two. A stainless or melonite option would bring it closer. The Glock is my preference but the Shield is very good too. The Ruger just doesn't feel as solid. I think you probably have to handle and shoot them all to really decide.
View Quote
I agree. If you posted in Smith &Wesson forum, then everyone recommends the Shield. In Glock forum, everyone recommends the Glock!!

Link Posted: 6/24/2015 3:45:15 AM EDT
[#27]
i am a ruger fan but i just got the G43.  
The trigger is a little on the heavy side and i shoot it a little low and to the left because of this.
I think its a really good gun though.

The Ruger LC9 Striker has a really nice trigger.  The only reason i went with the Glock is because i wanted something a little different.  
I dont care for the Smith and Wesson for some reason though.  I like their revolvers and the full size M&P pistols but not that smaller one.  I think its a good gun but there is something about it that i dont like as much.

All three are pretty good.
I like the Glock (well, because i have one) and the LC9s of the three you mentioned.
The trigger on it is pretty darn nice.

The Ruger comes in two flavors, a standard and pro model.  The Standard has a magazine-dissconect and an external safety.  The Pro model does not have these two features.  I like external safeties but that is a personal preference; i know a lot of people do not care for them.

I think Ruger dropped the hammer version from their lineup and only make the striker model now.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top