cost?

I would like some idea of the cost
before I send it in.

It's a blued gun.

Thanks!

John
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 12:28:32 AM EDT
[#1]
I don't know the answer but I'm interested in finding out as well.
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 9:29:32 AM EDT
[#2]
Please don't hold this as gospel.  I believe Ruger will not make a cylinder for your gun unless it already came as a convertable.  I love my single actions and have several but this is one combo 357/9mm that I have avoided.  I have read due to the differences in size between the 9mm and 357, that the 9mm does not shoot that good.  You may look into selling yours and buying one that is already a convertable.  Good luck!
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 11:33:47 AM EDT
[#3]
have you considered spending the money on handloading instead ?
Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:24:23 PM EDT
[#4]

If this question is directed at me, yes
I do reload, but not .38 or .357.

John

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
have you considered spending the money on handloading instead ?
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 1:58:59 PM EDT
[#5]
.357 is a wonderful round to handload.

you can make everything from bunny fart loads the kids can enjoy, to full house magnums with H-110 / W-296

I guess my question is....because 357 is so versatile   . . . . why bother with 9mm ?

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:30:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I load 9mm so I can shoot all
I want and not have to spend
a lot of cash, but I will still
have versatility to shoot
.38's & .357's.

I really want a .45 colt and
.45 ACP convertible, but I
am getting a good deal on
this BH that I can't pass it
up, and I would like a .357
lever gun sometime too.

John

Quoted:
.357 is a wonderful round to handload.

you can make everything from bunny fart loads the kids can enjoy, to full house magnums with H-110 / W-296

I guess my question is....because 357 is so versatile   . . . . why bother with 9mm ?

View Quote

Link Posted: 2/16/2015 8:53:52 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I load 9mm so I can shoot all
View Quote

One thing about 9mm....is cheap brass.  

I also want a 45LC  . . . . . . and 41mag to go with my 44 SBH

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 11:27:36 AM EDT
[#8]
Just start reloading 38.  You can use the same primers and powder.  Dies are cheap.

I suspect accuracy with a 9mm cylinder will not be to your liking.  357 barrels are typically a couple thousandths bigger than a 9mm plus the nine is having to jump a pretty good gap from cylinder to forcing cone.
Link Posted: 2/17/2015 1:04:56 PM EDT
[#9]
Unless the cost of adding a 9mm cylinder is
pretty cheap, I suppose I'll pass on it.

I agree with the idea of the 9 jumping
the gap causing issues. And if that's
the case with the .375/9mm, then I
suppose it would be the same for the
.45C/.45ACP conversion, as well, correct?

John

Quoted:
Just start reloading 38.  You can use the same primers and powder.  Dies are cheap.

I suspect accuracy with a 9mm cylinder will not be to your liking.  357 barrels are typically a couple thousandths bigger than a 9mm plus the nine is having to jump a pretty good gap from cylinder to forcing cone.
View Quote

Link Posted: 2/17/2015 3:22:31 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

John

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

John

Quoted:

Friend has a Blackhawk 45lc/45 acp.  In Long Colt its a tack driver.  In acp its a fair shotgun.   Big difference in performance.  
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:36:24 PM EDT
[#11]
That's odd they told you that, their newest policy (for the last few years at least) is that they will not install a "conversion" cylinder in any gun that wasn't originally sold as a convertible model.  There are gunsmiths who will do it though.

I have a Blackhawk .45Colt/.45acp Convertible that is just awesome, it's as accurate in .45Colt as it is in .45acp, which is very accurate.  I love it
Link Posted: 2/18/2015 4:52:08 PM EDT
[#12]
I had the convertible , they shoot like crap. bore size is wrong and I believe the twist is off also. Don't really think it is the bullet jump thing , 38 works fine in a 357.

I have to believe that dies for 357/38 (same dies do both) are going to be like 1/4 or 1/2 the cost of buying and fitting a cylinder.
If you have a 357 you really need to be reloading for it . 357 brass will take some hunting but there is 38 brass laying on the ground anywhere folks shoot.

I have a friend who claims he gets reasonable accuracy in the convertible with oversize cast bullets but it is still way more effort than it is worth.

Many years ago I had my 9mm Blackhawk cylinder drilled out to 357 Bain&Davis which is a 44mag case necked down to .357 . I paid something
like $90 to drill the cylinder and for the reloading /case forming dies. In theory it gives you 150+ FPS over 357 loads but it is a pain to form the brass . This would have been 1975 or so
Link Posted: 3/8/2015 1:20:55 AM EDT
[#13]
I have a .357/9MM convertible and although I haven't shot a lot of 9MM through it I thought accuracy was acceptable out to 15yds. My gun like the 147gr HST's best.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top