Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/7/2015 9:49:33 AM EDT
Wanting a small revolver for ccw and stuck between the 357 or the 38 special. I know the 357 will shoot both but will I really need the 357.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 10:08:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Go find a 357 snubby to borrow or rent and shoot a box of self defense loads through it.  Your hands will then tell you if you want it or not.  357 in a snubby is not fun to shoot.  Some can handle it some cannot.

There is the argument  that even if you don't want 357 Mag you should still get it since it gives you options to shoot either 357 Mag or 38 Special.  I would offer this to tempered that common advice.  The 357 Mag version will be more expensive and your 38 Specials will perform slightly worst out of a 357 Mag chamber.  Your 38 Special loads will loose ~50fps due to blow by as the bullet jumps down the longer 357 chamber.  Accuracy might be effected also.

38 Special +P in a Snubby will get the job done nearly every time.  357 Mag will certainly deliver a lot more ballistic performance but IMHO it is not worth the abuse.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 12:09:15 PM EDT
[#2]
MCB makes a good point, however, if you're in real need of your ccw gun, I'd advise the most powerful caliber you can handle.  I've never shot a 2 or 3 inch 357 mag that was pleasant, but under duress I'd perfer the power over a 38.  My daughter owns a S&W Model 66-4.  We shoot .38s for practice and she carries 357 mags for defense.  While you might lose a little something shooting .38s out of a 357 mag gun, but, it not the gun we choose for a long range sessions or precision shooting.  Just my 2 cents.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 1:17:40 PM EDT
[#3]
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 3:10:35 PM EDT
[#4]
Get the 357. Those couple extra ounces will make 38's more pleasant to shoot. It also gives you the flexibility to shoot magnums once you are accomplished enough.
Link Posted: 1/7/2015 11:18:43 PM EDT
[#5]
In one regard it is a bit of a on brainer - get a .357, as you'll always have the option of shooting .38 special in standard or +P loads in it.

I also agree the extra weight will make it more pleasant to shoot, regardless of the loads you choose to shoot in it.

A major problem with snub nose .38s is that with standard pressure loads, they tend to have poor terminal performance.  While many .38 special loads perform well in a 4" revolver, even the best standard pressure self defense loads when fired from a 2" pistol are not any better than the best .380 ACP loads fired from a 3.9" semi-auto.   From that perspective, .38 +P loads are pretty much the minimum for 2" revolver use.

Personally, if I were set on a 1.85" to 2" revolver, I'd select an all steel 2" revolver in .357 Mag, something like the S&W 627.  It's a pound heavier than an LCR, but IMHO much more controllable with .357 Mag or .38 +P loads.  The extra weight helps in terms of making it much more shootable and with a decent belt an holster you won't mind the extra weight.

If you have your heart set on the LCR, consider the 3" barreled 5431.  It's a .38 +P pistol that only weighs a pound, but it's a good compromise between weight, size and ballistic performance as a .38 +P load in a 3" barrel won't be far behind a .357 Mag in a 1.85" barrel, yet it will be less painful to shoot.

Link Posted: 1/8/2015 6:43:14 PM EDT
[#6]
Get the .357.

It gives you options.

You won't mind the extra couple ounces.

Those extra couple ounces give you a true steel frame around the barrel/cylinder.

I actually find the LCR to be more shootable than all-steel snubbies. The polymer in the grip flexes and takes a lot of the recoil out where the steel just transfers it to your hand (even though the extra weight helps a bit with muzzle flip).

I own the LCR-357 and it's a fun little gun to shoot. It's a pussycat with .38 target loads and very controllable with .357s (although, more than about 10 make my hand tingle a bit). I find it a bit wide for CCW for my tastes, though and prefer the 6+1 and .9 inch width of my Kahr.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 1:47:31 AM EDT
[#7]
I got the 357, and would advise you to get the 38. The weight is different enough to make the 38 much better in the pocket, and 357 out of that gun was painful. Good 38+p is still a fine and proven man-stopper.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:32:16 AM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I got the 357, and would advise you to get the 38. The weight is different enough to make the 38 much better in the pocket, and 357 out of that gun was painful. Good 38+p is still a fine and proven man-stopper.
View Quote

X2
I did the same thing. The 357 was too heavy to carry in my pocket. Believe me the 4 oz. or so makes a big difference in your pocket.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:48:07 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

X2
I did the same thing. The 357 was too heavy to carry in my pocket. Believe me the 4 oz. or so makes a big difference in your pocket.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

It's too big for 90% of people's pockets (including mine) anyway. I don't know how people can pocket carry something so wide and with such a fat grip.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 10:40:25 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's too big for 90% of people's pockets (including mine) anyway. I don't know how people can pocket carry something so wide and with such a fat grip.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

No problem for me to pocket carry with Dickies work pants/ shorts, cargo pants or shorts. I don't wear jeans at all. I have the Ruger/Hogue boot grips on mine that are not only slightly shorter, the sides are hard plastic and I think about 1/2 oz. lighter than the Tamers it came with.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 11:18:30 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:

No problem for me to pocket carry with Dickies work pants/ shorts, cargo pants or shorts. I don't wear jeans at all. I have the Ruger/Hogue boot grips on mine that are not only slightly shorter, the sides are hard plastic and I think about 1/2 oz. lighter than the Tamers it came with.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

I definitely wouldn't want to load .357s in mine with those boot grips on it. I debated getting them, but the Tamer grips are much better for gripping the little hand cannon. I don't ever wear dickies or cargo pants. I do wear cargo shorts on the weekends in the summer, but that would be the only time I could pocket this thing. My Kahr 380 (and even the 9) are more pocket-appropriate and I get 2 more shots. Different strokes for different folks. I don't consider it a pocket carry, but if you do, great.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 12:03:12 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Go find a 357 snubby to borrow or rent and shoot a box of self defense loads through it.  Your hands will then tell you if you want it or not.  357 in a snubby is not fun to shoot.  Some can handle it some cannot.

There is the argument  that even if you don't want 357 Mag you should still get it since it gives you options to shoot either 357 Mag or 38 Special.  I would offer this to tempered that common advice.  The 357 Mag version will be more expensive and your 38 Specials will perform slightly worst out of a 357 Mag chamber.  Your 38 Special loads will loose ~50fps due to blow by as the bullet jumps down the longer 357 chamber.  Accuracy might be effected also.

38 Special +P in a Snubby will get the job done nearly every time.  357 Mag will certainly deliver a lot more ballistic performance but IMHO it is not worth the abuse.
View Quote

This.  I agree 100%. Be sure to read up on and select the right .38 +P ammo. It makes a difference.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 4:46:20 PM EDT
[#13]
Try firing one of each in a dimly lit area. I find the flash from a short barreled .357 to be blinding.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 5:24:08 PM EDT
[#14]
I would go .357 but I also went with the SP101 for the extra weight. I don't find the recoil unmanageable with the sp101. The flash however is an issue. Supposedly Buffalo bore makes some nice low flash .357 snubby ammo. I've never tried it.
Link Posted: 1/10/2015 9:03:00 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I would go .357 but I also went with the SP101 for the extra weight. I don't find the recoil unmanageable with the sp101. The flash however is an issue. Supposedly Buffalo bore makes some nice low flash .357 snubby ammo. I've never tried it.
View Quote

That BB ammo is great out of my fiances 2.25 SP101. The .357 125g and 140g both have over 400 ft lbs out of that short barrel and the recoil is very manageable. It is nothing like a full blown magnum round and actually closer to a .38 Special +p. 400lbs is also way better than most .38 offerings out of a short barrel and they are loaded with excellent bullets. The .38 special loadings from them are also very good.

Link Posted: 1/11/2015 11:07:24 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

^^ this. I use a .38 SW 649 and feel completely secure with 158gr+P JHP. Tried a LCR with .357 and will not go that way again.
Link Posted: 1/11/2015 1:49:49 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

I definitely wouldn't want to load .357s in mine with those boot grips on it. I debated getting them, but the Tamer grips are much better for gripping the little hand cannon. I don't ever wear dickies or cargo pants. I do wear cargo shorts on the weekends in the summer, but that would be the only time I could pocket this thing. My Kahr 380 (and even the 9) are more pocket-appropriate and I get 2 more shots. Different strokes for different folks. I don't consider it a pocket carry, but if you do, great.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

X2

The Ruger/Hogue boot grips still retain that little gel pack in the back strap of the grip. I don't think I can feel any difference in recoil between the the 2 grips firing 38+p or magnums.
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 1:29:53 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Wanting a small revolver for ccw and stuck between the 357 or the 38 special. I know the 357 will shoot both but will I really need the 357.
View Quote

.38 all the way - lighter weight, very easy to carry and plenty of power. Can't stress the light weight enough, makes it a very comfortable CCW. I also have an all-steel 3" SP 101 in .357 and even that one hurts my hand a bit after firing two cylinders.
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:00:21 AM EDT
[#19]
I'm a firm believer that bigger is better

However, I'll say that 38+P in an Air weight is all I really want to shoot more than a few times in a row.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 2/5/2015 12:19:04 AM EDT
[#20]
I have the .357. After 15 rounds, my hands hurt quite a bit. So I practice with .38s and keep it loaded with .357. I figure in actual defensive use, I'll never notice the sting.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 1:17:05 PM EDT
[#21]
I debated this as well and went with the .38 LCR simply because it's so light-i mean really light, like a ball point pen or paper clip light- it's the perfect pocket carry gun.
Had I purchased the .357 model I knew actually shooting .357 loads would be few and far between becasue it would hurt so much.
I use nice Hollow point .38 +P loads for SD but no argument .357's are better.
Link Posted: 2/10/2015 2:37:23 PM EDT
[#22]
If weight is you prime criteria the lightest snub nose 38/357 revolver I have seen is a S&W 340PD & 342PD.  I believe both models are currently not in production  The 340PD is only 11.4oz unloaded and is chambered for 357 Magnum.  The 342PD is only 10.8oz unloaded and is chambered for 38 Special +P.  The both are Aluminum frame with titanium cylinders.  The 340PD only hurts for the first one or two rounds then your hand goes numb and then shooting the rest of the cylinder feels OK.  Reloads with only one functional hand are slow...  
Link Posted: 2/15/2015 11:39:13 PM EDT
[#23]
LCR in 9mm
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top