Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 9/25/2014 2:35:16 PM EDT
I'm looking at 4 inch gp100's and I have eyes on a half lug with fixed sights which I like. Is there any advantage to a half vs full lug or is it all weight/looks? I will be using some hot loads from time to time, does the full lug aid in durability or accuracy?
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:28:55 PM EDT
[#1]
Mainly personal pref.....
The metal lug might protect the ejector rod from impact damage .. possibly?  
The full lug adds weight some complain, I do not mind and I actually like the looks a lil better and it might just help recoil abit....
Maybe it can be used to clobber someone over the head when I run out of boolits.
I have a full lug 4inch blued GP100 and like it.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 4:45:58 PM EDT
[#2]
Ok, thanks for the reply. I kinda figured it was mainly personal preference. About the ejector shroud and possible damage... on the 4 inch I am looking at the shroud still covers the ejector, so I don't think that will be a problem. I was mainly concerned about losing some strength or ruggedness, but I don't think that will be an issue.
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 7:48:44 PM EDT
[#3]
If the shroud is covered, it boils down to a point of balance/recoil control preference.  I like half underlugs like the -six series and match champion, some people don't.  Whichever.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 5:22:21 PM EDT
[#4]
The main function of the lug is extractor rod protection. Length of the lug is purely personal preference. I also prefer the Six Series partial lugs over the full length.

That said, my two Six Series revolvers are short enough to look like full lug.

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:09:48 AM EDT
[#5]
I think its a matter of preference since nowadays it's not that hard to design a handgun balanced however you like with or without a full lug.  Personally, I just don't like half lug guns, they just look unbalanced aesthetically to me.  On the other hand I love full lug guns for the same reason, they just look complete.  There are others who are completely opposite so...just personal preference.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top