Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/23/2014 7:31:02 PM EDT
I bought an LC9s today and brought it home and read the manual and disassembled it no problem, but when trying to reassemble it I messed something up pretty bad I think

While pulling the slide back trying to line up the holes to put the takedown pin back in, the slide locked up solid and I can't get it to move forward or backward.  I read that if I can get the end plate off the back of the slide the striker assembly comes out and that should free up the slide, but the slide isn't sticking far enough out to access the part that you slide forward to take the spring pressure off the plate to slide it off, so I haven't been able to take off the plate.  Is there any way to remove the plate from the back? I tried using a screwdriver to pry it a little bit like you can with a Glock but I'm afraid of tearing up the plastic.  Should I just call Ruger on Monday and mail it off to them? Mine is an early production with the flat end guide rod that they are replacing with a conical shaped one I think to prevent issues like I had with reassembly.

EDIT: I got the striker out but the slide still won't move at all in any direction

Link Posted: 8/24/2014 8:17:08 AM EDT
[#1]
Have you tried with the dummy mag inserted that they give you with it.
Link Posted: 8/24/2014 1:57:16 PM EDT
[#2]
Yeah the magazine doesn't change anything.  The hold up seems to be toward the front between the barrel and guide rod and slide.
Link Posted: 9/4/2014 9:56:17 PM EDT
[#3]
All I can say is WOW Ruger is awesome! They emailed me a shipping label and I shipped the gun back last Wednesday.  They received it last Friday and shipped it back on Tuesday this week and I got it back today.  They fixed the slide, replaced the guide rod with the new version, test fired it 28 times, and returned it to me.  Absolutely no cost to me for anything, even though I'm the dummy.  I won't be taking it apart again to clean it in a long, long time
Link Posted: 9/12/2014 5:59:36 PM EDT
[#4]
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:34:55 PM EDT
[#5]
"Mine is an early production with the flat end guide rod that they are replacing with a conical shaped one I think to prevent issues like I had with reassembly."

This interests me since I also have what I guess is an early production LC9s with the flat end guide rod as is in the picture of yours that was hung up. My gun, IIRC was manufactured 7/18/14. Should I be concerned about the flat end guide rod and will Ruger send me a replacement if I call them or is it something I have to send to Ruger to have swapped out?...Thanks for any info....<><....:)  
Link Posted: 9/15/2014 8:53:38 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
"Mine is an early production with the flat end guide rod that they are replacing with a conical shaped one I think to prevent issues like I had with reassembly."

This interests me since I also have what I guess is an early production LC9s with the flat end guide rod as is in the picture of yours that was hung up. My gun, IIRC was manufactured 7/18/14. Should I be concerned about the flat end guide rod and will Ruger send me a replacement if I call them or is it something I have to send to Ruger to have swapped out?...Thanks for any info....<><....:)  
View Quote

They should send you a newer one if you call them up.  I was beyond impressed with Ruger customer support and you have nothing to lose by asking.  I don't know if the guide rod had anything to do with my problem or if the stars happened to align just as I was trying to put the slide back together, but either way they got it all fixed and back to me with no questions asked.
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 8:10:49 AM EDT
[#7]
Thanks, I'll call today and post later about what they do....<><....:)
Link Posted: 9/16/2014 10:50:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I just got off the phone with the Ruger CS in Prescott AZ. The guy Matt could not have been nicer. He is sending a new cone shaped guide rod assembly, it should go out tomorrow and be here within 5 to 7 days.
GREAT Customer Service!!!!!!!!!!....<><....:).
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 12:17:30 AM EDT
[#9]
Ruger came through in grand style.The new cone shaped recoil guide rod assembly arrived in the mail today!!! 3 days from the call to it being dropped off at the house by the mailman. And there was no charge from Ruger!! They could not have been nicer. Great CS!...<><....:)
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:43:18 AM EDT
[#10]
Looks like you managed to engage the safety while the slide is back.
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:47:34 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Looks like you managed to engage the safety while the slide is back.
View Quote

It's still red in the picture which means the safety is off
Link Posted: 10/10/2014 12:09:59 PM EDT
[#12]
Just heard about the guide rod replacement. I'm calling Ruger to get one. That little bit of "hang-up" is annoying.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top