Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/10/2014 9:39:33 PM EDT
I have been looking at buying a revolver with a wallop, particularly for hiking in the back country with large animals that put me at the bottom of the food chain.  

I've read a lot about the Ruger Alaskan Revolvers, and people seem to love them.  

A couple of questions:

1.  Should I stick with the Alaskan and the short barrel, or go with something longer that might have more weight on it, hence less recoil and better accuracy?

2.  .44 mag or .454 Casull?  The .44 mag is better for availability of ammo.  Obviously the .454 is more powerful.  

3.  To those who have fired both, what is the recoil difference like?  Having shot some fairly powerful rifles, I am familiar with recoil, but I have never shot a large caliber revolver.  I shoot often and such, but it is primarily .40 or .223/.308.  This isn't anything like the recoil of the Alaskan.

4.  At what distances are these short barreled revolvers accurate to in the hands of a good shooter?  Not Jerry Miculek, but your decent shooter?

Help me decide!  I do not have any reloading components right now for either caliber.  Outside of training to get competent with the gun, I don't plan on shooting it a ton like I do my Glock 22.  Like I said, I will primarily use it while hiking and camping.

Thanks for the information!
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:06:10 PM EDT
[#1]
The snubby Alaskans are for when the dangerious game is less than a stones throw away. You also loose quite a bit of energy chopping of inches

Personally I i like my revolvers with at least 4" but no more than 6" long

If im not mistaken (and please correct if im wrong) That if you have a 454. Casull you can use .45 Long Colt much like the 38 Spcl being used in a 357 Mag. Like I said correct if im wrong on this

Either or will get the job done thats for sure I have a .44 Mag but in a S&W 629
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:15:15 PM EDT
[#2]
a 454 will punish you with hot loads, if you shoot it hot and often it can cause nerve damage.  I have never owned one, but shot my brothers for a while.  It is not a "fun" gun to shoot.  I believe his had a 7.5" barrel. so it was not the Alaskan.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:21:49 PM EDT
[#3]
Unless you reload, or don't mind spending a lot of money for ammunition, the .44 would be the logical choice.

The recoil impulse out of a short (4" or so) .454 is exciting to say the least.  If you do get a .454 and do manage to find some .45 colt to fire, be sure to clean the forcing cone really well before going back to .454.  Freedom arms warns about that, you can find it on their website.

I have a Freedom Arms .454 which I had magnaported because the first shot had too much recoil to get back on target fast enough for me.

I find myself using my S&W model 29 a lot more in the woods these days, there's not much in the woods of Idaho that need a .454

Link Posted: 8/10/2014 10:50:15 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a smart man...

2.5" 44 mag worth it for backpacking (bear and/or two-legged creatures..)?  What if I already bought it...
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:07:35 PM EDT
[#5]
I would go 454 and shoot mostly 45LC.  454 is nothing compared to 460 S&W so don't worry too much about it imo.
Link Posted: 8/10/2014 11:28:01 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the SRH full-sized revolver in .454 and traded the .44 version to get it. Fairly significant difference in recoil. I really would not want to fire it out of a short barrel, but then again, it is really for up close defense where you won't notice the recoil anyway. I personally prefer the longer version just because it is very versatile as a hunting weapon, where I doubt the accuracy of the Alaskan would cut it for moose hunting. Don't get hollow points, no need for them. Stick to hardcast or jacketed flat points. Better penetration and you don't need to mushroom when you start out that large.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 8:37:13 PM EDT
[#7]
Whatever you choose be sure you can make at least two very fast accurate shots with it when so scared that you may be simultaneously peeing and pooping your pants.  Not directed at the OP, I've never met him and he may be the size of The Rock but I'll bet most people who buy these .454 Casulls, .460S&W or 500 magnums won't get a second shot because after the first shot the recoil has the gun pointing at the sky and bears/cougars/boar hogs/Sasquatch's are really fast.  If you have the ability to manhandle a big bore and make fast accurate followup shots then by all means carry one but if not you might want to reconsider your choices.

I'd love to own a S&W460V, I will have one someday, but it's not what I would carry in bear country just because it has too much recoil for me to make fast accurate follow up shots and I'm not betting my life on one shot.
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 9:56:49 PM EDT
[#8]
454 in the 460V feels like my 629's 44... 460 has some punch and recoil If I have a light grip and dont hold it up high on the grip I can pound out doubles sounds like one shot first time I was like wtf now only load one round of 460 for new shooters... the 460 recoil is not that horrible the shockwave that you feel  and ringing in your ears for a few minutes w/o double ear pro is what I noticed love my 460  ...OP the Ruger Alaskan is a heavy mother helps in recoil but if you are hiking a lot a fair distance maybe a night guard or a 329 series might be better or new S&W 69 maybe? 460 V     329's I swapped a stainless cylinder in the 329pd I dont have my 69 yet still on layaway   I love my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt for short hikes though load it with some heavy buffalo bore and not much is going to stand up to it.     .... I want a Ruger SBH 44mag 4.62" though I will pick one up soon.... but if set on Ruger I would get the 454 Alaskan use heavy 45 Colt ammo and be happy
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have the SRH full-sized revolver in .454 and traded the .44 version to get it. Fairly significant difference in recoil. I really would not want to fire it out of a short barrel, but then again, it is really for up close defense where you won't notice the recoil anyway. I personally prefer the longer version just because it is very versatile as a hunting weapon, where I doubt the accuracy of the Alaskan would cut it for moose hunting. Don't get hollow points, no need for them. Stick to hardcast or jacketed flat points. Better penetration and you don't need to mushroom when you start out that large.
View Quote
Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:28:01 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Whatever you choose be sure you can make at least two very fast accurate shots with it when so scared that you may be simultaneously peeing and pooping your pants.  Not directed at the OP, I've never met him and he may be the size of The Rock but I'll bet most people who buy these .454 Casulls, .460S&W or 500 magnums won't get a second shot because after the first shot the recoil has the gun pointing at the sky and bears/cougars/boar hogs/Sasquatch's are really fast.  If you have the ability to manhandle a big bore and make fast accurate followup shots then by all means carry one but if not you might want to reconsider your choices.

I'd love to own a S&W460V, I will have one someday, but it's not what I would carry in bear country just because it has too much recoil for me to make fast accurate follow up shots and I'm not betting my life on one shot.
View Quote

Have you seen the new S&W 460 featured in this month's GUNS magazine?

Link Posted: 8/11/2014 10:57:21 PM EDT
[#10]
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/specials/Trade-shows-2014/SHOT-show-2014/pistols/smith-wesson-460-performance-center/Smith-Wesson-Performance-Center-460-1.jpg?resize=600x

No I havent.  Do tell....
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 8:47:44 AM EDT
[#11]
I already have a 44 mag so it would be a 454 for me. I actually have a 454 on my want list. I blame my friend for getting me into them.
Link Posted: 8/21/2014 12:09:15 AM EDT
[#12]
I do some remote off trail hiking so I bought the Alaskan in .44 mag.  Ended up leaving it home most of the time- too heavy.  Bought a Glock G2SF instead. Download to 10 rounds for even lower weight and GTG.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 4:04:31 AM EDT
[#13]
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://www.all4shooters.com/en/specials/Trade-shows-2014/SHOT-show-2014/pistols/smith-wesson-460-performance-center/Smith-Wesson-Performance-Center-460-1.jpg?resize=600x

Holy frijoles Batman!!! That is a beast! I really, really, really want one!!!! My budget says "tough luck" LOL.  I love that PC versions matte finish and unfluted cylinder but if one wanted to use it for hunting it has to have a 4" barrel at least and that one has to be right on the line.  Plus, I gotta think that shooting the .460 out of the the 5" compensated barrel of the standard 460V would be far more comfortable and easier to score a faster follow up shot than the PC versions shorter, uncompensated barrel.  It sure looks good though...if they made a combo of both it would be perfect! A 5" compensated barrel on a matte finish gun with a smooth unfluted cylinder... Now that would be the perfect 460 in my opinion.  Thanks for posting that Warhawk!
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:06:29 PM EDT
[#14]
Let me know if you're interested in a four inch S&W 500.

Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:21:34 PM EDT
[#15]
I am but my budget is not.  It's so bad my budget has actually started to speak...it's more swear words than anything but it's made it's point.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:23:48 PM EDT
[#16]
Buy a 44 in 4". Smith or Ruger. Easy, powerful enough and fun to shoot. The 454 is a beast and will hurt you. 454 has no chance for decent follow-up shot. The 44 is good for anything smaller than brown bear in North America.  Don't use either for brown bear in AK. Anyone who tells you different is a fool. I have faced an Alaskan brown bear on the Kenai and they are nothing to mess with. Guides carry shotguns or really big rifles.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 5:25:01 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
454 in the 460V feels like my 629's 44... 460 has some punch and recoil If I have a light grip and dont hold it up high on the grip I can pound out doubles sounds like one shot first time I was like wtf now only load one round of 460 for new shooters... the 460 recoil is not that horrible the shockwave that you feel  and ringing in your ears for a few minutes w/o double ear pro is what I noticed love my 460  ...OP the Ruger Alaskan is a heavy mother helps in recoil but if you are hiking a lot a fair distance maybe a night guard or a 329 series might be better or new S&W 69 maybe? 460 V    <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SamsonXD/media/20131206_142848.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/20131206_142848.jpg</a> 329's I swapped a stainless cylinder in the 329pd I dont have my 69 yet still on layaway  <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SamsonXD/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140505_183451.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/Mobile%20Uploads/20140505_183451.jpg</a> I love my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt for short hikes though load it with some heavy buffalo bore and not much is going to stand up to it.     <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SamsonXD/media/20130522_182556.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/20130522_182556.jpg</a> .... I want a Ruger SBH 44mag 4.62" though I will pick one up soon.... but if set on Ruger I would get the 454 Alaskan use heavy 45 Colt ammo and be happy
View All Quotes
Quoted:
454 in the 460V feels like my 629's 44... 460 has some punch and recoil If I have a light grip and dont hold it up high on the grip I can pound out doubles sounds like one shot first time I was like wtf now only load one round of 460 for new shooters... the 460 recoil is not that horrible the shockwave that you feel  and ringing in your ears for a few minutes w/o double ear pro is what I noticed love my 460  ...OP the Ruger Alaskan is a heavy mother helps in recoil but if you are hiking a lot a fair distance maybe a night guard or a 329 series might be better or new S&W 69 maybe? 460 V    <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SamsonXD/media/20131206_142848.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/20131206_142848.jpg</a> 329's I swapped a stainless cylinder in the 329pd I dont have my 69 yet still on layaway  <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SamsonXD/media/Mobile%20Uploads/20140505_183451.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/Mobile%20Uploads/20140505_183451.jpg</a> I love my Ruger Bisley 45 Colt for short hikes though load it with some heavy buffalo bore and not much is going to stand up to it.     <a href="http://s28.photobucket.com/user/SamsonXD/media/20130522_182556.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i28.photobucket.com/albums/c223/SamsonXD/20130522_182556.jpg</a> .... I want a Ruger SBH 44mag 4.62" though I will pick one up soon.... but if set on Ruger I would get the 454 Alaskan use heavy 45 Colt ammo and be happy
Quoted:

That Bisley is sweet! I have a .44 magnum version of that gun on my "must have" list.
Link Posted: 8/26/2014 6:29:58 PM EDT
[#18]
I'll suggest a Ruger BlackHawk with a 5.5" barrel in .44 Mag.

I've shot SASS and guarntee you that two quick aimed shots are possible.
Link Posted: 8/28/2014 2:30:56 PM EDT
[#19]
If I were going that route I would go with the 454. Much more versatile. I like 44 and use my model 29  a lot, but the 45/454 has it beet all to hell power wise.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 12:54:49 PM EDT
[#20]
Hi Brandi you talking about the Ruger Bisley hunter in 44 mag or the Bisley 44 Special, if you mean a Bisley 44 mag in bigger then the 3.75" barrel I would be most interested.....I want a Ruger 4.62 SBH 44 mag just for grins I like both frames but I have never seena Bisley 44 mag 4.62" factory model that would be to cool
Quoted:

That Bisley is sweet! I have a .44 magnum version of that gun on my "must have" list.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Link Posted: 9/6/2014 1:24:38 PM EDT
[#21]
454 not fun to shoot.  very not fun....
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 7:51:22 PM EDT
[#22]
Does anybody here shoot the Alaskan in .480 Ruger?
One is for sale local.Thx.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:37:09 PM EDT
[#23]
Unless you reload I'm not sure it's a good decision. I'm not sure it'll last, it's already faded into obscurity.  Too bad because it had great potential as big bore without the massive recoil of the current favorites.  I've got my eye on a S&W 460V since it shoots .460, 454 and .45 Colt.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 8:42:01 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
Does anybody here shoot the Alaskan in .480 Ruger?
One is for sale local.Thx.
View Quote

.480 is the proper choice, but like ruger they kill everything good.  

Much heavier slug that can perform well from a short bbl.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:01:38 PM EDT
[#25]
Thanks for the replies.On Ruger's site,it is listed as "NEW" in the Alaskan, and Standard.
Maybe they are trying to generate interest in it again.
Link Posted: 9/6/2014 9:30:26 PM EDT
[#26]
They have released it several times.  It's a great cartridge for what you intend.  It hasn't gained traction because it was released when the s&w magnums were and was overlooked.

I keep emailing them though and reminding them of their mistake dropping it, along with many others.
Link Posted: 9/7/2014 6:56:04 PM EDT
[#27]
This is relevant to my interests.

Just traded a 6.8 SPC for a Ruger Toklat- Looking forward to shooting it some.  I had a BFR in .475 Linebaugh for a while- was fun to shoot but too big to consider carrying for big animal protection.   The 5.5" barrel on the Toklat is perfect to me.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 9:00:50 AM EDT
[#28]
Had to look that up,lol.[Toklat]
I think i like the lines of the Alaskan much better,myself.
Link Posted: 9/8/2014 4:26:41 PM EDT
[#29]
I agree, that barrel sticking out of the barrel thing is one of the most hideous abominations done to an otherwise beautiful gun.  I'm not a fan of "snubbies" but I'll take the Alaskan any day.  Now if they would make an Alaskan with a longer barrel...that would be the shiznit.
Link Posted: 9/11/2014 10:56:34 PM EDT
[#30]
I have the alaskan in 44 mag. Yes, ruger needs to increase the barrel to 3 inch in my opinion. they did add a quarter inch in the new redhawk though. http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawkDE/models.html
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:45:49 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:
I have the alaskan in 44 mag. Yes, ruger needs to increase the barrel to 3 inch in my opinion. they did add a quarter inch in the new redhawk though. http://www.ruger.com/products/redhawkDE/models.html
View Quote

Would love this in 45LC!
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top