Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/22/2014 11:40:30 PM EDT
Any complaints with the ruger sr1911. How is the fit and finish? I can pick one up for 400 new in the box. isn't this there first attempt at a 1911
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:32:48 AM EDT
[#1]
At that price I'd be all over that. The reviews on it have looked pretty decent.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:06:11 AM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Any complaints with the ruger sr1911. How is the fit and finish? I can pick one up for 400 new in the box. isn't this there first attempt at a 1911
View Quote

It's Ruger's first attempt, but the bugs have been worked out of the design over the past 103 years.  

My FIL has a SR1911.  I prefer the trigger in my STI, but the Ruger is a nice gun for the money.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:33:22 AM EDT
[#3]
Like mine and would jump all over it at that price. Is this from a gun shop? Do they have more?
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:51:29 AM EDT
[#4]
I recently checked out a Ruger Commander.  It was a surprisingly nicely built weapon.  I didn't fire any rounds through it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:06:36 AM EDT
[#5]
We have sold quite a few at the shop I work at. I have yet to hear a bad word about them. Best mid price 1911 on the market IMO. At $400 it is a no brainer.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 8:08:13 AM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Like mine and would jump all over it at that price. Is this from a gun shop? Do they have more?
View Quote

No its a privet party
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 9:30:54 AM EDT
[#7]
I had the chance to fire a friends at the range functioned flawlessly and was accurate.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 12:28:22 PM EDT
[#8]
As others have said, at $400 for a NIB one it is a no brainer. Heck for that price i'd buy a second one.

That said, the only issues I know of are some folks had the front sight break off.. which ruger will fix... Since they are Novak sights not sure ruger is really to blame on that one. And some folks have had the stainless finish tarnish with blackish grey spots in some areas. Mostly under the grip panels. I personally have this second issue and from what I have read about others who have had it they sent their guns back and got them refinished with mixed results or replaced completely.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 4:28:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
As others have said, at $400 for a NIB one it is a no brainer. Heck for that price i'd buy a second one.

That said, the only issues I know of are some folks had the front sight break off.. which ruger will fix... Since they are Novak sights not sure ruger is really to blame on that one. And some folks have had the stainless finish tarnish with blackish grey spots in some areas. Mostly under the grip panels. I personally have this second issue and from what I have read about others who have had it they sent their guns back and got them refinished with mixed results or replaced completely.
View Quote

The STAINLESS is not a finish. If it discodors, it's from something got on it that shouldn't have. As for the OP's question, mine has been extremely flawless and at that price I would buy at least 2 more.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:28:39 PM EDT
[#10]
I was not in the market for a 45 but it is a no brainer one can never have to many guns.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 7:20:30 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote

At 400 bucks, I'd be sure that I was wearing insulated gloves when touching it.    
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:39:22 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

The STAINLESS is not a finish. If it discodors, it's from something got on it that shouldn't have. As for the OP's question, mine has been extremely flawless and at that price I would buy at least 2 more.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Yes, thank you for that. Last I checked it was still uncertain why exactly this was occurring, I have yet to see ruger officially say what the problem was but they keep replacing or refinishing the guns on their dime. There was speculation it may have been a bad batch of metal in the casting or also possible contamination from the bead blasting process applied to create the finish on the metal. Then there is speculation it is because of the wood grip panels.. Either way it is something to be aware of and keep an eye on. On my gun it is under the grip panels and it seems most folks with the issue also get it there too but I have seen it in other places. There are some instances I have seen a sr rust and clearly the owner does not take good care of their gun but some like myself are meticulous and there is no reason for the issue to appear.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 12:43:34 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's an excellent point. I would ask for the serial number and try to check it against stolen firearms databases...
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 1:00:55 PM EDT
[#14]
$400!? That's what I paid for my SR40c.  I'd be all over an SR1911 for that price!
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 2:28:17 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

View Quote

Yep might front sight broke off the third time I shot it. Ruger fixed it and sent me an oily rag for my trouble . In all honesty, nice gun.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:07:14 PM EDT
[#16]
400 is an absolute steal. They're really nice guns. I'd compare it to a more expensive SA TRP.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 9:41:46 PM EDT
[#17]
I have close to 2k rounds through mine without a hitch. I had a trigger job done ($75) right after I got it and it's a zero creep 4.5lb trigger now. Out of the box the trigger was pretty good with just a tiny bit of creep.

$400 is a steal.
Link Posted: 5/30/2014 1:47:40 AM EDT
[#18]
I would do it at that price. Cheapest I have seen is around 650.00.

I had a SR22 that had finish issues on the slide. Turned a sort of plum color. Ruger replaced it after sending pictures. Never said what it was or why.Looks good for now.

Link Posted: 6/3/2014 3:34:26 AM EDT
[#19]
I absolutely love mine.  I have had zero issues with it so far.  As far as this being Ruger's first attempt at a 1911, that may be true, but they have been turning out parts for high end 1911 manufacturers for years.
Link Posted: 6/3/2014 6:37:34 PM EDT
[#20]
I've got around 4000 flawless rounds of lead reloads through mine. Love it.
Slide has been sloppy since day one but it's accurate.
I've got some black VZ G-10 grips on it and the frame has been discolored under the grips. Whatever on that.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:30:56 PM EDT
[#21]
I just took mine to the range today. Had it for several months before taking it today for whatever reasons. LOVE it.
Link Posted: 6/10/2014 4:35:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I like mine, for the money it is a good value.
Link Posted: 6/13/2014 8:08:09 AM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
View Quote

I realize this is an older post but couldn't resist.......

No Complaints,

cp
Link Posted: 6/16/2014 10:04:10 PM EDT
[#24]
Is that just a strip of grip tape on the front strap of your 1911?  That's the only thing I don't like about my SR1911, I wish the front strap was checkered.  Other than that, mine is a freakin' tack driver!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 11:40:10 AM EDT
[#25]
Yes, Just scate board tape extended under the VZ grip panels. Have used the same piece for a year now and still plenty of tracktion.
cp
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 3:33:47 AM EDT
[#26]
there not bad...

My first full size SR went back to ruger for rust and accuracy issues..

they replaced it, as the frame is not real stainless, just a "stainless like coating" they told me..

Then it went back again for the front site breaking off while shooting it..went back and they replaced it.

Just got a commander i na trade, was sloppy as shit, and didnt shoot for snot, accuracy wise, call them up..back it goes, comes back with full top end new and then some other parts replaced, barrel re crowned, and by there test papers shoots great.

All in all, one thing about ruger, is they have awesome customer service, last month i sent in the commander, the day after they received it , it was on its way back to me..For the dollar its a great 1911 to get your feet wet in this platform..
Link Posted: 8/9/2014 11:16:03 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
View Quote

I have owned two recently. Still have one and it is absolutely flawless. Accurate and well worth the money. I cannot say anything negative about it!! If you can acquire one for $400.00, you would be a fool to pass it up!
Link Posted: 10/5/2014 11:27:57 AM EDT
[#28]
Sportsmen's warehouse in my area sales them all day for $449
Link Posted: 10/6/2014 7:22:26 PM EDT
[#29]
This thread needs more pics

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top