Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/8/2014 9:46:17 PM EDT
Went to the range to site in my Springfield Armory 40 cal that I just installed a red dot on. Always take my Alaskan 44 mag to get off a few rounds. It was an indoor range. Anyways, after firing some reloads in the alaskan, loaded up some remington 240 gr loads. After shooting the second cylinder up, Felt something in my mouth that wasn't the fireball candy I usually have in my mouth. Spit it out to find the percusion from shooting in a closed in area had knocked my cap on my tooth off. I was shocked. Don't think I will be shooting my alaskan indoors any more. Won't be able to afford the dental bill. The dentist thought it was funny though. Laughing all the way to the bank.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 9:56:10 PM EDT
[#1]
Yikes! I think the crown was probably a bit loose to begin with? I have fired my .45 Win Mag and .30 Carbine Automag III indoors and they both have a hell of a concussive blast and never lost a tooth. I have an Alaskan on the way, hope it don't kill me!
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 11:26:26 PM EDT
[#2]
A couple of years ago I was at the Matanuska range and was firing my ported Freedom Arms model 83  to check some loads.

I didn't shake a any dental parts loose, but I did bring down a lot of dust from the ceiling.

After that session, I was politely asked to not bring that particular gun back again.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 11:38:14 PM EDT
[#3]
Yep, the 45 win mag would shake insulation out of the ceiling around the can lights also made the plexiglass windows push out slightly every time I shot. Accidentally hit the target carrier once and blew it off the cable!
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 8:34:10 PM EDT
[#4]
I fired my .454 Ruger inside the house once. That will never happen again, no matter what.
Link Posted: 3/9/2014 9:44:51 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I fired my .454 Ruger inside the house once. That will never happen again, no matter what.
View Quote

Definitely a bad idea.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 2:37:29 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
di
Definiteley a bad idea.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
di
Definiteley a bad idea.

It involved a near-starving bear coming through my kitchen window and my dogs desperately chewing his face off. Not a lotta time to think. Thankfully the shot did the trick since I spent a considerable amount of time on the floor holding my head and being dizzy and disoriented as hell. Kind of a homemade flashbang of sorts. One of my dogs was too close and got a ruptured eardrum. I really wish one of the rifles would have been the closest gun.
Link Posted: 3/10/2014 8:01:50 PM EDT
[#7]
Totally understand that situation. At least you got it before you were dinner. I would have had to clean my shorts after that
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:02:44 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Totally understand that situation. At least you got it before you were dinner. I would have had to clean my shorts after that
View Quote

I had to clean the kitchen And fix the wiring that the round took out (good penetration!). You shoulda seen the wife's face when she came home! Blood, fur, broken glass, me nearly deaf. Oh, and one of my dogs decided to piss on everything near the window, presumably to re-mark his turf. Not a good day.

Seriously, I didn't "hear" the noise of the shot, but I did feel the pain. Once things settled, my hearing was WAY off for a few weeks and still has never quite been what it used to be.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 6:46:28 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

View Quote

Ouch.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 7:35:40 PM EDT
[#10]
I suspect the cap was already loose, but it does cause quite a bit of shock.  LOL, great story for the dentist though.  I shoot my S&W 629 V-Comp at the indoor range and it usually draws a crowd.  It also sends everyone in the nearby lanes scurrying for a lane change which is why when I bring my .50 Beowulf I request a lane with nobody on either side for a couple lanes lol, fortunately haven't popped and caps or crowns lol.  I started doing that when one poor lady who was in the next lane developed a flinch that she probably still has today.  She was there with her husband who was actually doing the shooting and I warned them before shooting it was going to be really loud and would rattle the walls, they both said no problem it wouldn't bother them.

I started shooting and after about 4 shots my sister tapped me on the shoulder and I looked behind where there was a whole crowd of people crowding the window to see the crazy lady shooting her hand cannon and AR cannon, including the same poor woman who was smiling but twitching like a Tourette's victim coming off meth and I felt terrible.  So after that I started requesting lanes away from others when shooting big bores and .44 magnums.

Link Posted: 3/11/2014 8:59:01 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
twitching like a Tourette's victim coming off meth
View Quote

She probably lost what hearing she had left.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 9:58:38 PM EDT
[#12]
Took my new Alaskan out to the range tonight. Even outside it was loud as hell! Was shooting hand loads 240gr JHP with 22gr of Win 296, made a huge fireball! Took me about 5 shots to not flinch as I found out the gun really didn't kick as bad as I thought is would.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 12:07:45 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:
Took my new Alaskan out to the range tonight. Even outside it was loud as hell! Was shooting hand loads 240gr JHP with 22gr of Win 296, made a huge fireball! Took me about 5 shots to not flinch as I found out the gun really didn't kick as bad as I thought is would.
View Quote

Same here. Looks are deceiving. Did you hit the link to email the CEO of Ruger to build a 3 or 4 inch Alaskan? Trying to get as many folks as I can to email him. Who knows, might get lucky.
Link Posted: 4/15/2014 10:56:18 PM EDT
[#14]
I took my 10.5 inch Ruger Super Redhawk .44  to the range for the first time sunday.  Indoor range.  Even though it's scoped, I was only allowed to shoot it at the pistol range -15.5 meters.  I have to admit how surprised I was by the muzzle flash and noise of full power loads behind 240 grain bullets.  I don't have a lot of experience shooting .44 magnums yet - enough to know I don't enjoy shooting my six inch S&W 629 with full power loads.  I made it through about 110 rounds with the Ruger and a few out of the S&W before I opened up a blister on my right hand.  Hopefully a pair of shooting gloves will help prevent that in the future.  I can say that the scoped 10.5 inch ruger was actually enjoyable to shoot, even with 23.8 grains of Win 296 behind a .240 grain Nosler.  Definitely louder than anything else at that indoor range.  
Can't imagine what a ported gun would be like noise wise, but would probably appreciate the recoil reduction.
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 8:23:52 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

... Did you hit the link to email the CEO of Ruger to build a 3 or 4 inch Alaskan? Trying to get as many folks as I can to email him. Who knows, might get lucky.
View Quote

Where's that link?

Link Posted: 4/16/2014 2:58:21 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

Where's that link?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

... Did you hit the link to email the CEO of Ruger to build a 3 or 4 inch Alaskan? Trying to get as many folks as I can to email him. Who knows, might get lucky.

Where's that link?

https://www.ruger.com/dataProcess/tellTheCEO.html
Link Posted: 4/16/2014 7:32:46 PM EDT
[#17]
Thanks.  I told him I want a 4 inch Alaskan Super Redhawk in 454 Casull.

Link Posted: 4/18/2014 9:50:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Thanks. Am trying to get everyone that's interested in the alaskan to let the CEO know what they want. I think Ruger would sell allot of 3 or 4 inch alaskan vs there 2 1/2 inch models. If you know of anyone else who would want a larger barrel version, have them fill out the comment to the CEO. The more folks asking, maybe Ruger would build it.
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 1:38:22 AM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
Thanks. Am trying to get everyone that's interested in the alaskan to let the CEO know what they want. I think Ruger would sell allot of 3 or 4 inch alaskan vs there 2 1/2 inch models. If you know of anyone else who would want a larger barrel version, have them fill out the comment to the CEO. The more folks asking, maybe Ruger would build it.
View Quote

You can't even keep the Alaskan in stock up here.  Literally every gun shop up here carries them because they are so popular.  Hell of a gun
Link Posted: 4/23/2014 6:55:11 PM EDT
[#20]
Agreed. One hell of a gun. Love this gun so much that am getting ready to sell my red hawk I purchased about 4 years ago. Prefer to shoot the alaskan.
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 5:18:36 PM EDT
[#21]
Wouldn't a longer Alaskan just be a Super Redhawk?
Link Posted: 4/24/2014 7:06:54 PM EDT
[#22]
With the heavy hitters I like to wear foam ear plugs with regular or electronic earphones over them.

My club does a reduced range service rifle match where we shoot under the roof at our rifle range and I find it easier to concentrate in rapid fire
with the double ear pro
Link Posted: 4/25/2014 7:15:53 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Wouldn't a longer Alaskan just be a Super Redhawk?
View Quote

The Alaskan is a super redhawk. I don't care for the longer barrel version that ruger makes now. Looks like they got lazy and stuck a barrel extension on the alaskan to cut costs. I like the lug to be the same size as the barrel. Even told that to the CEO when I left a message for him. Personally think a 3 inch or 3.25 would be perfect.
Link Posted: 4/26/2014 10:37:06 AM EDT
[#24]
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 2:33:25 PM EDT
[#25]
I tried out my Alaskan 454 at an indoor range when I first got it.

Felt like I was about to have a nose bleed.

Being my first time shooting something in this class, my shooting stance was a bit too rigid and I think I gave myself a little whiplash. Couldn't turn my head sideways for a month.

I shudder to think what it would be like without hearing protection.
Link Posted: 4/27/2014 10:18:27 PM EDT
[#26]
Already have/shoot a ruger redhawk in 44 mag w/ about 4 1/2 inch barrel. That kicks a bit. When I put the alaskan in my hand the 1st time to shoot, I used both hands so I wouldn't split my head open thinking it was going to kick real bad. Was surprised it wasn't that bad. Ruger did a great job making the Alaskan. Well balanced and weighted properly for the big load.
Did you go to rugers web site to send a message to the CEO to ask for a 3 or 4 inch barrel? Am trying to get as many folks to request one.
Link Posted: 5/1/2014 5:41:22 PM EDT
[#27]
I'm still looking for a 480 Ruger Alaskan.  Haven't stumbled on one when I had the cast.  Have the 9" version to hunt with.  Just want the Alaskan .

Doc
Link Posted: 5/3/2014 8:24:48 PM EDT
[#28]
I'd love a 4" Alaskan .454!!
Link Posted: 5/4/2014 1:51:26 PM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
View Quote

Let ruger know.
Am thinking at least a 3.25 in barrel but 4 would be sweet.
Link Posted: 5/8/2014 1:06:35 PM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:

I had to clean the kitchen And fix the wiring that the round took out (good penetration!). You shoulda seen the wife's face when she came home! Blood, fur, broken glass, me nearly deaf. Oh, and one of my dogs decided to piss on everything near the window, presumably to re-mark his turf. Not a good day.

Seriously, I didn't "hear" the noise of the shot, but I did feel the pain. Once things settled, my hearing was WAY off for a few weeks and still has never quite been what it used to be.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

So uh, you got the bear right?
Link Posted: 5/9/2014 3:17:28 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

Let ruger know.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Let ruger know.

I prefer 4" mainly because it's the minimum barrel length allowed for a hunting gun here in Oklahoma and many other states.  Still short enough to be easy to carry but long enough to be a legal hunting gun...multitasking makes it more valuable and more widely wanted by consumers.
Link Posted: 5/24/2014 11:28:27 PM EDT
[#32]
Well dam. That cap I had glued back on a week after the alaskan helped remove it, popped off today shooting my redhawk 44 mag at the same indoor range. Looks like no more indoor ranges for my 44 mag's. Now to pay another dental bill.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top