Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2014 11:21:42 AM EDT
Saw one of these at my LGS, looked interesting and handled pretty well.  Did not know Ruger even made these until seeing it.
The adjustable sights were nice.  10oz lighter than a 4" GP100, and noticeably smaller.  
My 357/38 stable consists of a J-frame only at this point.  

Thoughts on it?  

Ruger stock photo

http://www.ruger.com/products/sp101/models.html
Link Posted: 3/4/2014 12:02:43 PM EDT
[#1]
I wanted one so bad last year.... It was on the top of my want list.
After looking for months and months during all the craziness, I found one in the next state 4 hours away.
I played with it and shot it for half a day and no matter how sweet it looked, I did not like the way it felt.
I could not get past the slimmer grip and forward feeling weight of it; Nice pistol for someone but, not for my hands...
I wanted to like it so much but, I just couldnt.
I opted for the .357 MAG GP100 in 4 inch and love it.

Link Posted: 3/5/2014 6:48:48 PM EDT
[#2]
I own the 4" and the first thing I did was put a Hogue rubber grips on it and it handles much better now. I also like the 3" and might prefer it. The reason I say that is because I have a 3" Taurus 85 that I shoot a lot better for some reason.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 7:59:08 AM EDT
[#3]
I went back to handle it again, or maybe just to reconfirm how good it felt in my hands.

Pick it up in a few days after the WI 48hr wait is over.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 8:50:40 AM EDT
[#4]
I love mine. Change the grips to Hogue's and it is a great trail gun. I walk the woods all day with it on my hip and it is hardly noticeable. I have several thousand full bore rounds through mine without any issues.
Link Posted: 3/6/2014 10:58:55 PM EDT
[#5]
As a person with small hands, I personally really like the SP101 stock grip. However, the 4" SP101 is a poorly balanced revolver. The barrel is just too long and too heavy for me. It feels like a scaled-down version of a 9" Super Redhawk, maybe. IMO, the GP100 frame makes for a better host for a 4"+ barrel. The SP101 frame maxes out with the 3" barrel in terms of looks and overall usefulness.

Just my $.02.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 1:01:32 AM EDT
[#6]
Love that gun. Hogue grip made a big difference with my 3", bet it couldn't hurt with that one either. Hope to be able to test one soon.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 3:16:17 AM EDT
[#7]
I love mine. It makes a great companion piece to the 4" .22 SP101. I put Trausch grips on mine. I have large hands.
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 4:20:41 AM EDT
[#8]
Recently bought one with the 2.25" barrel. Bought it used and it already had the Hogue grip in it. I've handled the same unit with the factory grip and prefer the Hogue grip.

Took it out a few wknds ago. Really like how it feels. Would like to try a unit with the 3" barrel for comparison.

A friend had his S&W Ultralight there as well. After shooting both I'll take the Ruger any day of the week.

BK
Link Posted: 3/8/2014 5:44:16 AM EDT
[#9]
It will be a few more days before I go in to get this one, I went browsing and found what was probably the last Redhawk off the line and that will be coming home with me as well.  Fired case in the box dated 2/04/14 on the Redhawk.  Later next week I'll make a run to get them both.  Feels like Christmas.

The balance on the 4" SP101 is certainly forward, thanks to the fully lugged barrel.  The 4".22 only has a half lug and it balance more normally.  It doesn't bother me much, but I can see where it could be an issue for some.
Link Posted: 3/11/2014 3:49:45 PM EDT
[#10]
No way I'd take an SP 101 over a GP100 but then I don't have need of the small grip.  I can understand if it were a short barrel meant for concealed carry but I don't see the benefit of it over a GP other that.  However, this is America and you should buy whatever you like because you can!  No doubt there are guns I own that other people say "why, oh, why????" so buy away!!!

Congrats on the new wheelie! I love Ruger wheel guns.
Link Posted: 3/12/2014 7:53:03 AM EDT
[#11]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
No way I'd take an SP 101 over a GP100 but then I don't have need of the small grip.  I can understand if it were a short barrel meant for concealed carry but I don't see the benefit of it over a GP other that.  However, this is America and you should buy whatever you like because you can!  No doubt there are guns I own that other people say "why, oh, why????" so buy away!!!

Congrats on the new wheelie! I love Ruger wheel guns.
View Quote

Thanks!  I would have gone GP100 all the way, but the difference in grip and cylinder size makes it possible for me to iwb carry, even with the longer barrel.  Also, I would like to carry it on my hip as a back-up to my long gun during gun deer season here, which requires 5.5" of barrel length from muzzle to firing pin.  Pretty handy for just walking out in the woods with the family as well, the 10oz weight savings over the GP100 will be welcome there.
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 3:49:59 PM EDT
[#12]
I have only 4" SP101 in 327 federal, great shooter with good balance
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top