Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/15/2012 3:21:33 PM EDT
Anyone own a ruger p90 in .45? I am on the wall about trading for one? any info would be usefull thanks
Link Posted: 2/15/2012 3:50:54 PM EDT
[#1]
I had the stainless DC (decocker) version. It was heavy and built well.

The takedown is a little strange - pull the slide back, push down on the ejector, it will rotate forward to block the mag well, then push the pin out and it comes apart.

The only problems I had with it was limited capacity compared to Glock and the spring that holds the mag release in broke on it twice, dropping the mag out while I was shooting.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 5:33:15 AM EDT
[#2]
Had one.  Nicer pistol than many give it credit for.  Mine was reliable, accurate and the trigger surprisingly decent.  Downside is they are kind of big and factory mags can be spendy and hard to find.  Sold it for no good reason.
Link Posted: 2/16/2012 7:22:24 PM EDT
[#3]
had one and money got tight about 10 years ago when the baby came and sold it

I loved and miss it dearly
Link Posted: 2/18/2012 10:48:56 AM EDT
[#4]
I bought the first one I found when they first came out; pistol and two 7rd stainless mags $275+tax.

got approx 11k rounds through it; mostly 200gr lswc, but it's ate plenty of +p 200gr jhp with no issues.

the only thing I've done is replace the grips with the hogue wrap around grips and the recoil spring twice.

ruger mags are fairly expensive ($30) but they work better than any aftermarket mag I've tried
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:16:38 AM EDT
[#5]
Kalashnikov-style reliability, slightly better aesthetics.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:20:14 AM EDT
[#6]
Enormous and heavy come to mind, along with ugly. That said, there is no better cheap pistol. Reliable, and built like an Abrams.
Link Posted: 2/24/2012 7:20:45 AM EDT
[#7]
Trusty weapon.

Had one now for 7 years.
Link Posted: 2/25/2012 8:13:04 PM EDT
[#8]
Bought one NIB back in April of last year. Have real close to 1200 rounds through it and it just keeps getting better every time I shoot it. Had Crimson Trace laser grips on it but took them off and put Hogue grips on it. Those made it like a new gun all over agan! I swear my groups tightened up just changing the grips.
Link Posted: 2/26/2012 8:35:39 AM EDT
[#9]
Awesome gun, you can't go wrong. I used Pro-mag mags and they worked flawlessly. You can usually find used factory mags at gun shows for $10- $20.
Link Posted: 3/24/2012 6:21:41 PM EDT
[#10]
I bought mine new back in 1999, it was the first gun I ever bought. Like everyone else says it is built like a tank and is heavy but it shoots very well and is always been reliable. I actually probably don't even have more than 400 or 500 rounds through mine which is the stainless decocker model. The only thing I ever had done to mine was replace the grips with houge ones. I have often thought about selling it since I don't use it but never have, so it sits in my Gunvault under my bed for home defense. Here is a quick pic:

http://img526.imageshack.us/img526/4063/photopgw.jpg

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 1:03:19 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Kalashnikov-style reliability, slightly better aesthetics.
Have to agree. Reliable, and built like an Abrams.

Link Posted: 6/3/2012 3:02:43 PM EDT
[#12]
Nice pistols, do not like the slide safety.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:48:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I have one that I bought about 1996 or so.

Has never missed a beat, very accurate, trigger is more that adequate for defensive purposes.  

I still carry it just as much as my P345, my Sigs, my HKs, my AR-24, or my 1911s.

Yeah, it's big, but a holster for a USP swallows it yet I never hear complaints about the USP being big.
Link Posted: 6/3/2012 5:49:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
Nice pistols, do not like the slide safety.

I gotta ask:

What is the big deal about that?

I see it as a non-factor.

Link Posted: 6/9/2012 4:49:22 PM EDT
[#15]
I've had my black P90 (never could stand the stainless pistols) since oh, I'd guess 2004 or so.  I bought it used about the time the P345 was coming out and the P90 prices were dropping and having looked at both of them I liked the P90 better.  Like everyone else has said, it's heavy due to it's being overbuilt, the accuracy is pretty good as is the trigger pull.  In most cases I don't care for slide mounted decocking levers but on the P90, they work pretty well especially since there is no serrations for a positive grip.  I do think though that the factory grips were really nothing more than something that would allow Ruger to get the pistol out the door as a complete firearm but not much else!  I HATE the factory grips and mine now has a set of Houge grips on it instead.  The only other addition I made to it was the addition of a mainspring housing wtih a lanyard loop.  The P90 is really too bulky and heavy for CCW especially when I have other pistols that fit that niche far better but as a field gun, its great and here is where a lanyard isn't always a dumb idea when your outdoors a lot.  Good guns though, especially for the price.
Link Posted: 6/16/2012 10:41:45 AM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Enormous and heavy come to mind, along with ugly. That said, there is no better cheap pistol. Reliable, and built like an Abrams.
I understand that it's not the best choice for a concealable carry, but what's so ugly about it?

Link Posted: 6/16/2012 5:25:57 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I understand that it's not the best choice for a concealable carry, but what's so ugly about it?

http://i50.tinypic.com/33lm8ee.jpg

I agree with you, I don't think the P89/P90/P91 is ugly whatsoever.

Here compared to 3 other .45 ACP pistols, a 1911, a Sig P220, and an HK USP 45.

Link Posted: 6/17/2012 3:45:45 PM EDT
[#18]
Ive owned a P90 since 2002 I bought it at a gun show and I have never and any problems with it what so ever.  Ive ran every kind of ammo through it including reloads and have had no problems.  The only thing I have done to it is changed the grips and thats it. I would recommend one of these to anyone that wants a good relieable .45.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:23:56 PM EDT
[#19]
I have one. Great gun and very cheap for what you get.  They are very accurate and reliable.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 5:31:35 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole Bill Ruger thing I have a couple P-series pistol and like them much more than Glocks and they have been more *gasp* reliable
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 6:35:39 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

The whole Bill Ruger thing I have a couple P-series pistol and like them much more than Glocks and they have been more *gasp* reliable

Gasp...........you have done it now.

I have a 16 year old P90 that has never missed a beat.

My P345 is not as old but has been just as reliable.

I have owned a 2 P89s, a P94, a P944, a P91 and all have been utterly reliable and they all look good.
Link Posted: 6/17/2012 8:27:05 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

Gasp...........you have done it now.

I have a 16 year old P90 that has never missed a beat.

My P345 is not as old but has been just as reliable.

I have owned a 2 P89s, a P94, a P944, a P91 and all have been utterly reliable and they all look good.

P-85 the first auto I bought in 87 I think. Back then My Dad and I use to reload together. It was dirt cheap to do so, I would guess this pistol has well over 20K+ under its belt.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top