Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 7/5/2016 6:10:28 PM EDT
Opinions on this gun?

Ive never owned a kimber, was looking for a sig 10mm, but am being offered this in trade.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 7/7/2016 1:39:22 PM EDT
[#1]
My Eclipse is a .45, so I cannot speak to the 10mm. But what I can say is my Eclipse is one of the best pistols I have ever owned.
Link Posted: 7/11/2016 12:31:13 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Opinions on this gun?

Ive never owned a kimber, was looking for a sig 10mm, but am being offered this in trade.

Thoughts?
View Quote

I have had one and carried it for over a year (due to CAs coming ammo bs I may get away from 10mm for a while because I won't be able to buy cheap range ammo off the web).

I like the gun and 10mm.  I have about 1000 rounds through it of all varieties (hollow point, range junk, full power underwood and double tap).  

I recently had it out at a class where I had the first couple of problems ever with it.  It was hot out, we were chewing up ammo, and the gun was running great until I got into my bag on Armscor 180gr ammo.  It did not want to feed it, I think it was just under powered, the spent case would eject but a new round would get hung up and not go into battery without a whack on the back of the slide.

The other thing I noticed was that I got a hole chewed in my hand, the thumb safety is not blended as well as some of my other 1911s, that combined with the recoil of the 10mm and plenty of single handed shooting drills and my thumb got chewed up.

Other then that its a good gun and it has been reliable (with the exception noted above) and I would not hesitate to recommend it ( I like it WAY better the my G20 to compare 10mms).  That being said, I think it may drop off of my permit when I renew this fall so I can reduce my number of calibers that I have to buy in bulk to the common stuff that will still be more available (.45 and 9mm).
Link Posted: 7/12/2016 12:19:56 PM EDT
[#3]
I didn't have the 10mm, but, I had a Pro Eclipse in .45. The only issue I had with it is the finish. I liked it, but, it tended to start to rub off in places from holster wear. It was a very reliable and accurate pistol. I now have a Kimber Custom TLE/RL II 10mm which is very reliable and accurate. A lot of people complain about Kimbers and some of those haters claim that they actually did own a Kimber. But, my experience from actually owning several Pro Carry models and now the Custom II as well as a stainless Pro Raptor, is that all of mine have been accurate and reliable. The only thing I don't like is the plastic mainspring housing (I switch them out with steel) and the cheap Kimber magazine. I only use Wilson Combat and Tripp Research Cobra magazines.

If you get the Eclipse 10mm I think you will like it. 10mm with the full power cartridges is more effective than 9mm or .45ACP. I use Underwood Ammo and it recoils about like a +P .45 load. It's not difficult to shoot and I have no issues with it. Recoil is not bad at all. You want bad recoil, shoot my Desert Eagle .50AE. That kicks more than the old LAR Grizzly in .45 Win mag that I used to have. Just be cognizant of the Eclipse finish being susceptible to scratching off from holster wear. And get some better quality magazines for it.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top