Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/28/2015 5:45:06 PM EDT
I have a Kimber Custom( not a custom II) which I bought new in the 90's.  I have only shot it a few times.  I was doing some reading the other day trying to find the difference between my Custom and the more popular Custom II. Can any of you kimber experts enlighten me?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:25:03 PM EDT
[#1]
Series 2 has the firing pin safety and lesser build quality.
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 6:45:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Series 2 has the firing pin safety and lesser build quality.
View Quote

Someone told me that the customs were pretty much a hand built gun. Is there any truth to that?
Link Posted: 11/28/2015 7:29:13 PM EDT
[#3]
The custom is the basic model. The custom shop marked guns are probably more handwork but the markings are ugly.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 11:33:00 AM EDT
[#4]
The custom is an early gun without the firing pin safety. I have one and love it. I will never part with that gun. I quit counting round count at 15,000 rounds and that was 7 or 8 years ago. I change the recoil spring frequently. Only problem I've had is the firing pin stop cracked last year. $20 part and it was back in business.
Link Posted: 11/29/2015 12:14:24 PM EDT
[#5]
Nothing custom about it, just the base model Kimber.  Even back on the series 1 guns (no firing pin safety) quality was hit or miss.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:16:52 PM EDT
[#6]
NO schwartz safety is the main difference.  I would much rather have the Custom over the Custom II.  The not series II models are what the Kimber Warriors are now days.
Link Posted: 12/1/2015 5:30:34 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
NO schwartz safety is the main difference.  I would much rather have the Custom over the Custom II.  The not series II models are what the Kimber Warriors are now days.
View Quote

The safety is no big deal. When you replace the factory sights with Heinies you drop the parts out of the slide.

The external extractor is a bigger problem.

My brother and I each had a Kimber when we took our Gunsite 250.

Nothing but problems.
Link Posted: 12/2/2015 11:09:59 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

The safety is no big deal. When you replace the factory sights with Heinies you drop the parts out of the slide.

Nothing but problems.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Nothing but problems.

I forgot about the EE yeah that is no bueno OP.  I removed my safeties years ago on my Kimbers.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top