Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 5/9/2014 12:01:00 AM EDT
They both seem about the same minus the camo.  Any reason one over the other?
Link Posted: 5/14/2014 9:23:16 PM EDT
[#1]
The "Ultra" Kimbers share the same 3" barrel, alloy frame and have a 6.8" x 4.75" x 1.28" form factor and 25 ounce weight.

The Ultra Carry II is the base model with fixed low snag / low profile sights, regular grips and black finish. The "II" refers to the Schwartz firing pin safety (grip safety rather than trigger activated).  It's a $920 pistol, or you can get it in stainless steel for $1,060.

The Ultra Covert II has the camo finish, tactical wedge tritium sights, carry melt treatment (all the edges are rounded) and crimson trace laser grips. It's a $1,650 pistol.

The Ultra CDP II has the 2 tone black and stainless finish, carry melt finish, Meprolite 3 dot tritium sights (same profile as the low profile sights above, but with tritium dots), rose wood grips (although they sell the Ultra CDP II (LG) model with CT laser grips), and a checkered front strap and trigger guard front. It's a $1,330 pistol with the wood grips and $1,630 pistol with the CT grips.  

All of the above share the short 7+1 Officer model length grip frame, but the Ultra+ CDP II uses the 3" barrel with the full length 8+1 grip frame with the same 3" barrel as the other "Ultra" models for the same $1,330 as the regular CDP II.

----

I carried an Ultra Carry II for years, and while the finish held up well, it shows it's age.   If I had it to do over again I'd have probably went with the stainless model with stainless steel slight and left in the white alloy frame as i think it would show less holster wear and ti's probably worth the extra $140.

I like the Ultra CDP II with the carry melt treatment and I really like the Meprolite sights  - but I don't like the CDP II $400 more than the regular Ultra Carry II, although I added the 3 dot tritium sights to my regular Ultra Carry II as they are excellent sights (and about $110 at the time to add).  

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top