Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/28/2015 7:27:57 PM EDT
I just picked up my first Desert Eagle. Its an Israeli Mark-XIX .50AE.  I would like to know if there is a consensus on the appropriate grip tightness for avoiding limp-wristing malfunctions?

I shoot 9mm very frequently ,as my work gun is a 9mm.  I also shoot .45 on a less frequent basis.  I feel that my static grip tightness is pretty firm, however after reading the numerous opinions on the subject I feel a temptation to grip the DEP very tightly, so tightly that it is distracting.  When I've been focusing on my trigger pull and sight picture I have found the gun to be supremely accurate.  I feel that when I am super concerned about a deathgrip on the gun I am much more prone to flinching.

Thoughts?
Link Posted: 1/28/2015 7:50:03 PM EDT
[#1]
When you practice with any hunting (or combat) handgun, grip it like you're trying to squeeze juice out of it. Because that's how you'll be gripping it when there's a buck (or a bad guy) in front of you.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 1:51:24 PM EDT
[#2]
Push with your strong hand, pull with your weak one. Above all, fully extend your arms.
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 9:59:18 PM EDT
[#3]
Try the opposite approach. Grip and shoot it like you do with your 9mm. If it functions like that, you're good to go. If not, work on increasing your grip until it works.

Keep in mind, it's not actually the tightness of your grip that does it. You have to keep the frame relatively stationary, so the slide can cycle against it. If you let the recoil push the frame around, there isn't enough energy left to run the slide past it. (Does that make sense?)
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 9:04:07 PM EDT
[#4]
Sideways, playa.
Link Posted: 5/17/2015 10:52:55 AM EDT
[#5]
Just hoss down on that mutha fucka like a boss and start blasting preferably sideways gangsta style

Sorry man just could not resisit
Link Posted: 5/27/2015 1:06:05 PM EDT
[#6]
Here's the Magnum Research recommended how to shoot the Desert Eagle instructions.
Link Posted: 7/18/2015 10:01:35 PM EDT
[#7]
I've found it's more about how the rest of your body is positioned than grip strength.  If you've got good solidly-locked elbows and wrists, and lean into it a little to put some weight behind it, it'll cycle just fine with a normal grip.  The beefy slide and solid action will do a pretty good job of eating most of the felt recoil.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top