Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 11/2/2014 11:15:14 PM EDT
This has become my new "nightstand gun" because I love the damn thing so much.

I went with the .357 Magnum for the milder recoil, muzzle flash, and acoustic signature.

I'm just curious if anyone else here uses one for a primary home defense weapon.

I keep it "cocked and locked" for home defense.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:12:04 AM EDT
[#1]
Interesting. I have always felt that the DE was a novelty.  But glad it is working out for you.  What type of ammo are you using?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:15:16 AM EDT
[#2]
I would prefer not to shoot through my neighbor's neighbor's walls.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 12:32:56 AM EDT
[#3]
Nope. I'm with you on the DE being a masterfully engineered and machined weapon and worthy of deep love and respect, but I don't use mine for HD.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 1:38:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Your beamz appear to be missing.
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 2:14:10 AM EDT
[#5]
I could only use the Gold Tyger Striped one for HD...gRRRRRRRRRRrrr. Nah seriously though too big for my mitts. You whip that sucker out at the stupid fool crazy enough to try and stand you down you just might get red AND brown splatter on the walls
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 3:16:37 AM EDT
[#6]
No silencer?
Link Posted: 11/3/2014 9:54:28 AM EDT
[#7]
Personally, if I were going with a .357 as a bed-side gun, it'd more than likely be:

Or this...

Just vastly better ergonomics, to the extent I'd be fine having 8 rather than 9 rounds. Additionally, I have no practical use for a four and a half pound .357.

That being said, the DE is a pretty cool gun, but it has never left the novelty category in my eyes.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:21:35 PM EDT
[#8]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Your beamz appear to be missing.
View Quote

It's harder than hell to find beamz for it!

What I want is one of these - a Laser Devices BA-2.  But they no longer make them.  Maybe someday I will find one on Gunbroker or Guns America.

Link Posted: 11/3/2014 8:26:10 PM EDT
[#9]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Interesting. I have always felt that the DE was a novelty.  But glad it is working out for you.  What type of ammo are you using?
View Quote

American Eagle something or other.

I chose it because:

A. It was specifically recommended by exact catalog number in a supplemental sheet to the owner's manual.

and,

B. It's all I can find that IS recommended around these parts.

Works well though.
Link Posted: 11/4/2014 6:42:02 PM EDT
[#10]
i dont use it for HD, but i do carry my .50ae when i go into the woods in areas where a scuatch has been sighted.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 12:13:48 PM EDT
[#11]
Or hiking in bear country, with a nice leather shoulder holster and two more magazines under the opposite arm?
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:33:01 PM EDT
[#12]
I'll admit I entertained the idea, but mine has malfunctioned enough that I wouldn't trust it for HD.
Link Posted: 11/11/2014 11:55:50 PM EDT
[#13]
Based on some of the replies I've gotten, and some things I've read on other gun websites, I've decided not to use it as a primary HD gun after all.

Of course, I still love the thing - it is a truly awesome firearm.

Thanks for the replies.
Link Posted: 11/15/2014 2:51:08 PM EDT
[#14]
yeah, i prop it against the front door!

lol

Link Posted: 11/16/2014 10:40:47 PM EDT
[#15]
I've heard the .357 magnum Desert Eagles can be finicky, but the .44 Mag and .50 AE ones seem to work great.  That said, the big bores are a bit much for HD I think, in my local anything .50 bore and over is considered excessive force even if used in a "good shoot", so I'd buy a .44 Mag gun if I were going to buy one.  The ammo is also MUCH cheaper.  

Anyway, I'd rather have a rifle for HD, I keep a Kalashnikov for the purpose, you could do worse than a Desert Eagle.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top