Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 12/31/2013 6:34:14 PM EDT
I can afford a DE. I am 56 years young and I remember all those early years, looking at magazines and dreaming! NOW I see so much trash about these guns! Are there any people here that actually owns a DE, or are you all just wishers and trash everything that you do not have!
Just wondering!
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 6:49:19 PM EDT
[#1]
I have an Israeli made DE in 50AE with titanium carbon finish
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 7:08:14 PM EDT
[#2]
I had a DE in .44Mag back in 88-89. Loved it. Miss it.  First wife sold it after I went to Germany and she decided she didn't want to be an Army dependent in Germany. Divorce cost me a lot of cool stuff cause I was there and she was in TX.
Link Posted: 12/31/2013 8:13:17 PM EDT
[#3]
Just picked up a .50ae yesterday.

Get one!
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 11:48:21 AM EDT
[#4]
I'm in your age bracket and picked up a 44 mag (Matte Chrome) a year ago and love it!  If you think you're going to shoot multiple calibers make sure you get the Mark XIX.

Only downside is that I'm starting to have some body aging issues which means I can't shoot as much or often as I once did.  I still get to the range about once a week and run about 150-200 rounds/month through the eagle.

A couple of recommendations would be 1) get the Hogue grip with finger grooves; 2) make sure you run it clean and well lubed; 3) make sure that you use ammo that does not have an exposed lead base and is either jacketed or semi-jacketed; 4) follow the guidelines for the right ammo to use so that it'll run well; 5) reload or stock up enough so that you won't run out while shooting; 6) shoot as much as you can!

The only change from stock that I have done is the Hogue grips.  I am eventually going to add either fiber optic/adjustable rear sight or go with a red dot.

Also, I enjoy it so much that I'm thinking about picking up a Mark I (357) for less recoil since I reload for both 44 & 357 already.
Link Posted: 1/1/2014 8:34:49 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I'm in your age bracket and picked up a 44 mag (Matte Chrome) a year ago and love it!  If you think you're going to shoot multiple calibers make sure you get the Mark XIX.

Only downside is that I'm starting to have some body aging issues which means I can't shoot as much or often as I once did.  I still get to the range about once a week and run about 150-200 rounds/month through the eagle.

A couple of recommendations would be 1) get the Hogue grip with finger grooves; 2) make sure you run it clean and well lubed; 3) make sure that you use ammo that does not have an exposed lead base and is either jacketed or semi-jacketed; 4) follow the guidelines for the right ammo to use so that it'll run well; 5) reload or stock up enough so that you won't run out while shooting; 6) shoot as much as you can!

The only change from stock that I have done is the Hogue grips.  I am eventually going to add either fiber optic/adjustable rear sight or go with a red dot.

Also, I enjoy it so much that I'm thinking about picking up a Mark I (357) for less recoil since I reload for both 44 & 357 already.
View Quote

Excellent advice. I talked to Jack Harrington (Widely known as one of the top gunsmiths) today. He said exactly what you suggested. Jacketed ammo and keep it clean. shoot it a lot, 250 rounds to break it in.

I am hooked
Link Posted: 1/5/2014 7:08:25 PM EDT
[#6]
I have a ported .357mag model that I simply love to shoot!  

Heavy as hell, yes. But the weight makes the .357mag loads calmer, IMO. The 8rd mags make it a nice alternative to a nightstand gun too.
Link Posted: 1/14/2014 2:38:33 AM EDT
[#7]

Had mine since 2001, has 6000+ rounds of .44, and 500+ rounds of .440 down the pipe.  A couple of years ago, I bought a second .44 barrel, a reamer, chamber gauges and did my own conversion.  Shortly there after I had it mag-na-ported and the factory brake installed, so in .440 it recoils like a 9mm.   I guess you could say I'm not blowing smoke when I talk about it
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:43:04 PM EDT
[#8]
I have an Israeli made DE in .44 mag with an Aimpoint 30 mm ultra dot.
Pretty much one hole\ragged groups off sandbags at 50 yds.
Lots of fun to shoot, however, have not shot it too much.
(Watermelons and pumpkins at Halloween!)
Was going to get the .50 AE, but figured I hardly ever shoot the.44.
Still may get the .50 if a deal presents itself.
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 4:56:06 PM EDT
[#9]
Which specific red dot have you got and how do you like it on the DE in 44?
Link Posted: 1/16/2014 5:57:12 PM EDT
[#10]
30 MM Aimpoint Ultra Dot, with the Magnum Research see-through mount.
Think it has 4 different sized dots and has variable brightness control, sun-shade cap and yellow filter.
30 MM allows much more light than a 1 inch tube, which is what, 25.4 MM?
Have had it since 2004, pleased with the Aimpoint.

Will double check the info after next visit to the safe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 12:16:42 AM EDT
[#11]
The Aimpoint and Ultra Dot are two different brands of sights.  I'm pretty certain he's got an Ultra Dot because Aimpoint doesn't make a sight that has different MOA size "dots".

I'm not trying to be a dick, I own multiple examples of both brands of these sights and thought I could help clear up the confusion.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 2:01:57 PM EDT
[#12]
Thanks Snot-Rocket.
I have an UltraDot on my Desert Eagle.
(As well as several Aimpoints lying around.)
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 6:07:29 PM EDT
[#13]
What rings did you use to mount it?
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 8:26:12 PM EDT
[#14]
Rings?
I have owned it for a long time.
Only answer is the best that my shop had.
Sorry.
Have not shot more than a few hundred rounds, always on zeroe.
Link Posted: 1/17/2014 10:59:37 PM EDT
[#15]
Link Posted: 2/8/2014 4:35:09 PM EDT
[#16]
I am about your age and I've had a 44mag DE for a few years. Its real fun to shoot and glad I got it when I saw it at a local gun range.
The DE is big and heavy, but if you can afford to get, then you should. Here is mine

Link Posted: 4/14/2014 2:36:02 PM EDT
[#17]
I'm the same age and have had my Desert Eagle for several years now. Bought the original in 50AE in bright blue then got the .44mag conversion too. I love to shoot it! Mainly shoot the .44mag just because of the availability of 50AE although it very easy and cheap to reload.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:02:31 PM EDT
[#18]
I got 40 rds of .44 mag ammo that needs a gun to go through.

Since i have no use for a .44 mag.  Might as well get one of these.  

TXL
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:04:20 PM EDT
[#19]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have an Israeli made DE in 50AE with titanium carbon finish
View Quote

I have shot a mag through one of these.  I would say it was fun, and it is the type of gun you buy knowing it is for fun and show.  Ok well I don't know about all the titanium blah, but it was a .50ae.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 3:51:45 PM EDT
[#20]
I sold my polished chrome 50AE DE to buy a BT99, good choice because I shoot trap way more often than I shot the DE but it was a great gun.  It was actually really accurate.
Link Posted: 4/17/2014 8:48:12 PM EDT
[#21]
I've owned my .50 for twenty years +. It's never leaving my collection and it is my goto gun of choice. It's seen several 3-5k round weekends and just laughs at the abuse. I've always wanted the .440 but just have never gotten around to grabbing a barrel for it. If your a strong wristed shooter and reload, it's a real hoot at the range. If you have bear trouble, you'll sleep better at night.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top