Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2017 3:58:20 PM EDT
I have been dwelling on what to get for over a month now... so today I went with what I liked the best out of the field of guns I looked at. I got a VP9 LE, like new in box, said he fired one mag and put it away.  it only came with two mags though.. he said the other one got "misplaced"  other than that I'm happy and can't wait to get to the range!
Link Posted: 5/4/2017 4:07:44 PM EDT
[#1]
I hope you like yours as much as I like mine.  David
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 12:34:17 AM EDT
[#2]
Been carrying one on duty for two years now. Enjoy!
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 1:38:37 AM EDT
[#3]
You won't be disappointed, they always go bang
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 8:28:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Congrats.  I enjoy shooting mine..
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 11:18:12 AM EDT
[#5]
wow just got back from the range... a bit disapointed in mostly myself, but I did not shoot this pistol very good.  even with the small backstrap and side panels I had a hard time with the trigger reach... I also pinched my finger a few times between the trigger and the trigger guard.  I have short fingers and this gun may just be out of my reach.  I'm going to run it again this weekend, and see if I can work things out.
Link Posted: 5/5/2017 2:03:40 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
wow just got back from the range... a bit disapointed in mostly myself, but I did not shoot this pistol very good.  even with the small backstrap and side panels I had a hard time with the trigger reach... I also pinched my finger a few times between the trigger and the trigger guard.  I have short fingers and this gun may just be out of my reach.  I'm going to run it again this weekend, and see if I can work things out.
View Quote
Your post is a very good example of why ergonomics is an actual thing.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:24:18 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
View Quote
That would be a deal killer for me. If I can't shoot it effortlessly from the get-go, there's no point in forcing it.

The main reason is that guns that require constant acclimation to maintain proficiency with may go months without attention. If you pick it up one day and suck...that is a no go.
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:07:15 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
View Quote
Interesing issues.

Are you using a thumbs forward grip?
Link Posted: 5/14/2017 11:16:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I have short fingers as well, but the VP9 does NOT having a long trigger reach. I have experimented with several other popular guns (e.g., p320, Glock 19, etc.), and the VP9 has the shortest, especially at the break. The only guns I own with a shorter reach are my Glock 43 and Ruger 22/45.
Link Posted: 5/15/2017 12:41:53 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I have short fingers as well, but the VP9 does NOT having a long trigger reach. I have experimented with several other popular guns (e.g., p320, Glock 19, etc.), and the VP9 has the shortest, especially at the break. The only guns I own with a shorter reach are my Glock 43 and Ruger 22/45.
View Quote
The M&P's and Canik have a shorter trigger reach.
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:44:57 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
View Quote
I think the overall reach on the VP9 is one of if not the longest of the striker guns I own (glock, mp, hk represented.) And the reset takes it damn near all the way back to full pull
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 2:57:16 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I think the overall reach on the VP9 is one of if not the longest of the striker guns I own (glock, mp, hk represented.) And the reset takes it damn near all the way back to full pull
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
I have all three brands that you mentioned as well, and the VP9 is not a long reach at all. The M&P is hit or miss and most hardly have anything but a mushy feeling reset. Glock's have a staple gun reset. I've found that the VP9 has a reset that is almost 1911 like in nature. And I like 1911's.

Have you tried putting on the small back strap and small side panels? Or are you a midget or a dwarf
Link Posted: 5/25/2017 3:41:19 PM EDT
[#13]
The pinched trigger finger between the tip of the trigger and lower trigger guard is not an unusual complaint. So far, I have not had that problem. Additionally I do not have large hands and do not consider the trigger reach to be long at all. It is one handgun that I shoot
very well and find comfortable to shoot. Sorry you are having those issues with your new VP9.
Link Posted: 6/2/2017 2:29:13 PM EDT
[#14]
well I figured out what my issue is, as stated above I have the small backstrap and side panels on.. and still have an issue with length of pull...  I did some experiment shooting with removing the backstrap totally and it is a perfect fit. the Hump even on the small is just too much, I have to reposition(twist my hand forward) to get a good  position on the trigger.  I am going to order another small backstrap from H&K and then file as much of the hump out as I can, and then cover with a talon grip.. I think that will work for me...   other than that it's a great pistol with a great trigger.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 12:54:26 AM EDT
[#15]
Gunwolf

I added on to your thread rather than start a new one. Hope that is okay. I bought my own LE HK VP9 over Memorial Day Weekend. Mine has the Night Sites. I bought mine after a using a couple of the other HK Models that my buddy has. And was sold on the grips. I'm not a good enough shot to talk about the trigger. I've seen online some people talk about the trigger issue on their fingers after shooting awhile.  I've seen people say Big - Small - Medium Hands, but no size relative to what they are using for a measure ( Hand Length / Width ) . I think my hand is about 4 - 4 1/2 " width at the palm and maybe 7 or 8 inches from wrist to end of middle finger. Do you guys consider that a smallish hand ? My fingers are probably 1/2 inch wide at the base base.  Really like the feel, and I'm not sure which grip panels he had on his. I have not  taken mine out yet.

Sorry for the thread hijack.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:12:15 AM EDT
[#16]
I have the problem with short fingers too. I shoot my VP9 alright but not nearly as good as my PPQ. 

I'd consider checking out the PPQ. Walther is also offering $100 rebate if you end up wanting one.

having short fingers blows.
Link Posted: 6/14/2017 1:26:35 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

That would be a deal killer for me. If I can't shoot it effortlessly from the get-go, there's no point in forcing it.

The main reason is that guns that require constant acclimation to maintain proficiency with may go months without attention. If you pick it up one day and suck...that is a no go.
View Quote
I couldn't disagree more. There is literally nothing about firing a handgun that feels natural or effortless. One must learn the proper grip, trigger finger placement, support hand grip (the most difficult part), and trigger squeeze. While some people might fit some guns naturally, making a few of these things fall into place, a PROPER shooting method requires lots and lots of practice. I know because I've been working on it for about ten years, and feel I've just gotten it down to a science.

I'm not saying that some guns just have bad ergonomics for some people, and vice versa, but that the shooter's expectations should be that there will be a lot of practice required just to get a decent grip and to be accurate. It requires a lot of muscle memory that only happens with hundreds and hundreds of dry firing excercises.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top