Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 2/18/2017 11:42:18 PM EDT
I have had a VP9 for about a year now and love it to death but it's a little too big for CCW.  I'm a little guy, 5'7" 155lb and need a winter coat to conceal it.

So I picked this up this week.  I had been holding out for a VP9sk, but didn't hear any news that way from SHOT, and figured the quickest most surefire way to get a VP9sk to be made is to buy the P30sk now.  I really like it.  The trigger isn't as good as the VP9 for target shooting, but I like it for a CCW pistol.  Comfort & ergos are great for a compact pistol-- very similar to the VP9.  I went back and forth on trigger/safety variants and ultimately decided on the V3 w/safety.  I have years of experience with 1911's and M9's and this setup is familiar enough to both of them.  I also like safeties for carry guns.

It is one of the newer ones and came with 1 mag having a factory pinky extension, but it's awkwardly large.  I went ahead and ordered some P2000sk baseplates and filed them to fit.  It gives just enough room for my pinky and doesn't stick out too bad.

Anyway, now the search is on for a holster.  I'm thinking IWB, and usually carry between 3-5 o'clock.  Any ideas?
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:17:55 AM EDT
[#1]
There is one correct answer to this: JM Custom Kydex IWB 3.

Don't get Aliengear, TRex, or any of that other overhyped instagram garbage (inb4 butthurt from people too invested in their bad purchases). I don't think RCS or PHLster or any other quality maker outside of JMCK do a P30SK IWB holster.

Hope that helps.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 11:23:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
There is one correct answer to this: JM Custom Kydex IWB 3.

Don't get Aliengear, TRex, or any of that other overhyped instagram garbage (inb4 butthurt from people too invested in their bad purchases). I don't think RCS or PHLster or any other quality maker outside of JMCK do a P30SK IWB holster.

Hope that helps.
View Quote

$60 for a kydex holster? You can buy a iwb kydex holster for half that shipped on ebay of equal quality. There is little no difference in kydex manufacturers quality.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 7:04:28 PM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

$60 for a kydex holster? You can buy a iwb kydex holster for half that shipped on ebay of equal quality. There is little no difference in kydex manufacturers quality.
View Quote

This is what people who know nothing about quality holsters say. Don't listen to these people.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:26:46 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm not a big IWB holster guy, but in last year I discovered the Stealthgear IWB mini Ventcore and it may be the best concealment holster I've ever worn.  It hides my P30sk amazingly well and it is very comfortable to wear.  I have tried other IWB holsters, including other kydex and kydex/leather hybrids.  None work as well for me as the Stealthgear holster.

For years, I carried almost exclusively OWB (usually a Glock 19).  However, the HK P30sk in the Stealthgear IWB holster is as perfect a concealed carry combination of I have found in 20 years of carrying.

A picture of the the holster I use:
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:36:40 PM EDT
[#5]
Why didn't I think of that (the JM)?  

I actually have a JM OWB holster for the VP9.  I've read several reports here and there that their IWB holsters are GTG.  I think that'll be a good starting point.

I'll give the Stealthgear a look, too.
Link Posted: 2/19/2017 10:48:31 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

This is what people who know nothing about quality holsters say. Don't listen to these people.
View Quote

LoL, ok bud. Whatever you say, because you're so credible. I was at a well established kydex manufacturer and know the process, and not only watched but was involved in the process. The cost of making a kydex IWB (without leather) holster for most efficient makers is less than $10. $60 for a plain IWB holster is a rip off, when you can get a quality IWB holster for half that with lifetime warranty.

But hey, whatever, it's your money.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 10:33:11 AM EDT
[#7]
Big + 1 on the Stealhgear Onyx.

Like it so much for my P30sk I will probably go that route for my P320.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:34:18 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
Big + 1 on the Stealhgear Onyx.

Like it so much for my P30sk I will probably go that route for my P320.
View Quote

This.  I love my stealth mini for my P30SK.
Link Posted: 2/20/2017 11:21:57 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

LoL, ok bud. Whatever you say, because you're so credible. I was at a well established kydex manufacturer and know the process, and not only watched but was involved in the process. The cost of making a kydex IWB (without leather) holster for most efficient makers is less than $10. $60 for a plain IWB holster is a rip off, when you can get a quality IWB holster for half that with lifetime warranty.

But hey, whatever, it's your money.
View Quote

It's about more than materials and manufacturing cost. The fact that you're hung up on that confirms how clueless you are on the topic of what makes a quality holster.

You know, things like kydex thickness or lack thereof, fit quality, mold accuracy, edge deburring, tape marks, loop/hook quality, loop/hook material, mold ratios (50/50, 80/20, etc.), trigger protection, general design, retention, concealability or lack thereof, comfort, etc. But I'm sure all that's the same between guys like RCS/JMCK and your eBay Specials, right?

Oh wait, nope. They aren't. They're not even the same between RCS/JMCK and Instagram tacticool garbage like Aliengear and TRex, let alone random one-off crap from (presumably, since you didn't mention any specifically) random vendors on eBay.

And thanks for vouching for my credibility. It's true. I am more cresidle than you, just like anyone who says "just buy a DPMS, it's as good as that BCM" is less credible than the rest of the world (that's you).

Anyway, OP, don't listen to dingbat advice like this eBay-is-just-as-good-as crap. You bought a $500+ gun. Don't cheap out and buy a crap holster just to save $20-30. It's a drop in the bucket in the overall CCW budget. That's like buying a $1500 AR and plopping on a $100 Chinese RDS instead of at the very minimum an MRO or Aimpoint Pro, except this isn't even that since it's literally a world's difference in quality for the cost of a few beers at the bar.

Don't skimp. Buy a good holster for your P30SK. That is a full kydex rig from a quality company, likely JMCK since not many quality makers cover HK pistols.
Link Posted: 2/21/2017 8:35:35 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

It's about more than materials and manufacturing cost. The fact that you're hung up on that confirms how clueless you are on the topic of what makes a quality holster.

You know, things like kydex thickness or lack thereof, fit quality, mold accuracy, edge deburring, tape marks, loop/hook quality, loop/hook material, mold ratios (50/50, 80/20, etc.), trigger protection, general design, retention, concealability or lack thereof, comfort, etc. But I'm sure all that's the same between guys like RCS/JMCK and your eBay Specials, right?

Oh wait, nope. They aren't. They're not even the same between RCS/JMCK and Instagram tacticool garbage like Aliengear and TRex, let alone random one-off crap from (presumably, since you didn't mention any specifically) random vendors on eBay.

And thanks for vouching for my credibility. It's true. I am more cresidle than you, just like anyone who says "just buy a DPMS, it's as good as that BCM" is less credible than the rest of the world (that's you).

Anyway, OP, don't listen to dingbat advice like this eBay-is-just-as-good-as crap. You bought a $500+ gun. Don't cheap out and buy a crap holster just to save $20-30. It's a drop in the bucket in the overall CCW budget. That's like buying a $1500 AR and plopping on a $100 Chinese RDS instead of at the very minimum an MRO or Aimpoint Pro, except this isn't even that since it's literally a world's difference in quality for the cost of a few beers at the bar.

Don't skimp. Buy a good holster for your P30SK. That is a full kydex rig from a quality company, likely JMCK since not many quality makers cover HK pistols.
View Quote

So, how much do they pay you to say all that?
Link Posted: 2/23/2017 7:06:01 AM EDT
[#11]
Comp-Tac Infidel Ultra
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 5:40:32 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:

This.  I love my stealth mini for my P30SK.
View Quote

Me too. Although I just ordered a Galco Miami Classic Lite to try.
Link Posted: 3/3/2017 11:49:37 PM EDT
[#13]
lol at OP wanting a VP9SK but buying a P30SK only to have HK announce the VP9SK half a month later.
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 8:16:51 AM EDT
[#14]
I have the same pistol minus safety. I carry it owb. But I get all my holsters from these guys. Great and fast service. Excellent quality & great prices as well.
http://www.blackdogconcealment.com/products/
Link Posted: 3/4/2017 1:52:51 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
lol at OP wanting a VP9SK but buying a P30SK only to have HK announce the VP9SK half a month later.
View Quote

You do realize that the VPSK is actually a SFSK model announced for German & International consumption ?

When the US variants come to fruition @ your LGS  is anybody's guess.
Link Posted: 3/5/2017 1:00:08 AM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
View Quote

Right?  I've been saying it all along, the quickest most surefire way to get the VP9sk released was to buy the P30sk.

Honestly, the P30sk is growing on me for a carry gun.  I like thumb safeties for carry/issue guns.  I'll check out the VP9sk when/if it shows up at the LGS, but it may turn out I like the P30 better for CCW.

FWIW, I went ahead and ordered a JM custom kydex holster.  I have their VP9 OWB holster and like it.  I'm going to see how I like this IWB setup and go from there.

Thanks for all the replies.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top