OK Apple and Orange comparison  
USP has been out longer and was tested heavily
I do not know the testing for the VP9.
VP9 is a more ambi gun.

Does anyone prefer the usp9 over the vp9
Or the vp9 over the usp9?
Why?
I think their both great guns.
It's hard to compare hammer fired vs striker fired.
The vp9 feels great in the hand.
The usp is tough as nails.
I am going to give the edge to the vp9.  Both are great but the vp is cheaper to buy.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:19:45 PM EDT
[#1]
USP X87

Personally, I like hammer fired pistols over striker fired pistols, and I like the ergonomics of the USP better (no finger grooves). Also, even though I might catch some heat for saying this, the USP is proven to be more reliable. Lastly, even though this is entirely subjective (and not very important), the USP has a lot more "cool factor" to it.

I might be a bit biased.
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:42:56 PM EDT
[#2]

While I can't speak to either of those two guns as I have not had the chance to shoot them, I do have a USPc 9mm and I really love it.

This thread in GD might have some bearing on your decision...take it for what it's worth.  I'm sure there are probably similar tests on the USP 9 on youtube.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1933208_and_the_VP9_fails_MACs_gauntlet__test_yet_again_.html

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 8:47:03 PM EDT
[#3]

Here is a short one I found on the USP...again, take it for what it's worth.

Damn...I don't understand how somebody can do that to their guns on purpose!

Link Posted: 11/26/2016 9:52:13 PM EDT
[#4]
I have not seen the new mac video. until now,   I seen the old one.
The usp are pretty damn tough
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:28:50 PM EDT
[#5]
I like the VP over the USP.  I think the VP has a nicer more consistent trigger.  Also I think the the USP feels top heavy.  All personal preference of course.  David
Link Posted: 11/26/2016 10:43:30 PM EDT
[#6]
That thread in GD brings in a lot of disingenuous intentions and bandwagon hating and of course would and will be biased.

MAC is The Daily Show for the gun world where just as liberals that have confirmation biases took the hack's gaffs as the gospel and as actual news, so too do certain gun enthusiasts with confirmation biases they do with MAC.

MAC's videos seems to have a grift to them, as if he's trying to besmirch. I wonder if what he "shows" as a turd" is just a ploy to bring in sales to his FFL that sells the competition and it's a ploy to money market.

Honestly OP, if you're into DA/SA, go with the USP. If you're a striker kind of guy, go with the VP9. If you like both then flip a coin or do it the arf way and get both.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 12:14:21 AM EDT
[#7]
USP is just damn sexy.

Fo with a tactical,  they're worth it.

Link Posted: 11/27/2016 2:43:58 PM EDT
[#8]
Trying not to muddy the waters more BUT Do you think the P30 is a tough/reliable as the usp?
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:08:36 PM EDT
[#9]
I carry a VP9 on duty and I own a USP45T. Both are awesome guns. However, the ergonomics of the VP9 cannot be ignored. I realize there is a caliber difference (9mm vs .45), but I definitely shoot tighter groups with the VP9 . It is crazy accurate, which is why I started carrying it in lieu of a Glock.

As for reliability, I had ONE stuck case after burning through about 200 rds of Wolf steel cased ammowhen I first got it. No other issues since. A while ago, I attended a handgun combatives course where my striker channel got absolutely caked with sand while shooting some VTAC Barricade drills. I racked the slide a couple of times and the gun still ran like a champ.

I would have no qualms about carrying either gun to defend myself and others, but I carry the VP9 almost daily on duty.
Link Posted: 11/27/2016 3:52:12 PM EDT
[#10]
It's funny... the VP series are selling like hotcakes.  Guess that stupid mac video isn't working.
Not that it should really matter to someone intelligent doing handgun research anyway.  99.9% of people who own handguns will never be in any situation where they'd treat a weapon like that, or ever find themselves in one.  Unless they're in one of those death match mud-wrestling competitions and their holster is loose, they run out of ammo, and they have to keep throwing their weapon at their opponent who's hiding behind a cinder block wall... over and over and over.

Link Posted: 11/29/2016 7:57:43 AM EDT
[#11]
I wish I had some USP experience to share with you, but all my HK time has been spent on the VP9, which I love.  I replaced my G19 with my VP9 as my daily carry gun shortly after I got it because it shoots wonderfully.  I've fed it a steady diet of 124gr FMJ / JHP and no hiccups or issues since I got it.  It points well, the recoil is non-existent, and it comes back on very target quickly.  The next handgun I buy will probably be a P30L or another VP9, because they're that awesome.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 9:32:24 AM EDT
[#12]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvDZZlxLu3M
View Quote
That's pretty retarded sir.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 10:18:44 AM EDT
[#13]
I have both.  The VP9 is a superb pistol.  I just happen to prefer the USP over it.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 12:12:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WvDZZlxLu3M

Colossally Retarded. But...the guage earrings were a dead giveaway.
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 1:28:53 PM EDT
[#15]
Usp are great in regular holster or a dropleg but vp9 is my concealed carry choice.   I dont give a shit about mac tests
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 4:15:17 PM EDT
[#16]
Shooting buddy of mine has several USP's and I have the VP9.  I've shot both extensively and prefer the VP9 mainly because of the trigger.  That being said, he shoots his USP's just fine.  You could maybe argue that the hammer fired HK's have an edge in reliability over the VP9 but the harshest environmental challenge my carry guns are exposed to are dead skin and deodorant so... whatever.  

Short version, HK makes outstanding firearms.  Shoot either one with confidence!
Link Posted: 11/29/2016 8:21:09 PM EDT
[#17]
Both are great guns, but I'm a striker guy.  I don't want to deal with DA/SA transitions, decockers and safeties.  And I shoot the VP9 a hell of a lot better than any of my Glocks.  I just grabbed my third VP9 from PSA for $449.  One for carry, one for home/nightstand, and one for range/training classes.
Link Posted: 12/3/2016 9:07:48 PM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:

Does anyone prefer the usp9 over the vp9
View Quote

USP 9 over VP9 over here.

For me it is the mag release. They are much larger on the VP9 and with my long fingers they dig into the mag release with each shot.
After 2 mags the finger was getting rubbed raw.
Less than 100 rounds through the VP9 and looking to sell.
Want  a VP9 for a fair price?
The USP was purchased used and is definitely a keeper.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 8:51:36 AM EDT
[#19]
Bastards. I have a USP now I want a VP9.
Link Posted: 12/4/2016 10:05:03 AM EDT
[#20]
Don't care for the USP. The USP Compact is decent but today I would get the VP9. If you must have hammer fired then get a P30.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 4:29:10 AM EDT
[#21]
I don't like the rail design of the VP9. Because of the rail design my slide and frame on 2 pistols was out of what I would call acceptable alignment. My OCD could not take it and now I just have USPs. I do like the trigger and ergonomics of the VP9.
Link Posted: 12/7/2016 3:15:00 PM EDT
[#22]
I own both, I'm glad I own both. Two different guns, both very reliable and accurate of course. VP9 is more comfy for most who pick it up, everyone says WOW! But like everyone has stated already, do you want DA/SA with a decocker? Or just a plain jane striker fired. If I had to choose one it would probably be USP just for fun, not that I think it excels or anything... I'm glad I own both! I like variety!
Link Posted: 12/23/2016 10:42:39 PM EDT
[#23]
I own both and like the USP 9 but love the VP9. I like the better ergonomics and the picatinny rail. The VP9 is lighter and thinner. That being said, you didn't ask but for some reason my P30L has a better feel than my VP9.
Link Posted: 12/24/2016 11:33:54 PM EDT
[#24]
USP9 all the way! I have zero interest in the VP series because the USP9 w/ LEM trigger and Jet Funnel are too sweet to put down. In the small chance that I may get bored w/ it then I'll put it down and p/u my USP45. While I have held the VP9 in my LGS, it just doesn't do anything for me. I'm too biased for The USP series.
Link Posted: 12/27/2016 9:26:15 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
USP X87

Personally, I like hammer fired pistols over striker fired pistols, and I like the ergonomics of the USP better (no finger grooves). Also, even though I might catch some heat for saying this, the USP is proven to be more reliable. Lastly, even though this is entirely subjective (and not very important), the USP has a lot more "cool factor" to it.

I might be a bit biased.
View Quote

worked in LGS and handled all.  I am picking up my 9mm USP tomorrow.
Link Posted: 12/28/2016 7:00:26 AM EDT
[#26]
USP. It's a child of the most heavily tested, and most reliable pistol in military history.
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 1:10:38 PM EDT
[#27]
I like the USP in the sense that the slide release is easier to manipulate and has a safety/decocker. I have the USP9c.

I like the VP9 in the sense that it's dead balls accurate for me and the grip fits extremely well.

If I was going to hell I'd bring the USP though
Link Posted: 1/20/2017 9:23:59 PM EDT
[#28]
USP without question. Of course I don't trust the VP enough to carry it.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 12:31:38 AM EDT
[#29]
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 6:15:35 PM EDT
[#30]
I have a USP9c and a VP9.  The USP is way over built compared to the VP9 and I shoot the compact better.  The VP9 has been getting NS duty latey, however both are great guns.  All of that said, I would trade the VP9 for a full size USP9 without hesitation if I didn't plan on carrying either.  I had a USP9 years ago and it was a pleasure to shoot.  It was just too large of pistol to carry comfortably and got traded.
Link Posted: 1/21/2017 8:07:26 PM EDT
[#31]
Trying to decide between these two pistols is really a coin toss decision as you can tell by the responses above. They both really are fantastic pistols and there is no wrong decision here either way.

My first time out with the VP9T, I shot it better than I shoot the G19 and I've been shooting them for years. The ergos are amazing and the VP is just too easy to shoot well. The USP is just dead nuts reliable and accurate as well. This is like asking if you should get cake or ice cream. They are both awesome and go great together so get them both!
Link Posted: 1/28/2017 5:50:07 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:
Trying to decide between these two pistols is really a coin toss decision as you can tell by the responses above. They both really are fantastic pistols and there is no wrong decision here either way.

My first time out with the VP9T, I shot it better than I shoot the G19 and I've been shooting them for years. The ergos are amazing and the VP is just too easy to shoot well. The USP is just dead nuts reliable and accurate as well. This is like asking if you should get cake or ice cream. They are both awesome and go great together so get them both!
View Quote

This.  To the letter.
Link Posted: 1/30/2017 1:12:40 AM EDT
[#33]
I know it's not the exact question the OP asked, but I thought I'd share my somewhat relevant experience.  I own/owned a USP Compact 45, a P30 9mm, a P30sk 9mm, and a VP9.  I like the P30 and P30sk the best.  I like the VP9 the least.  I traded my VP9 away the other day for a full size P30 9mm V1.  

I know a lot of people like the VP9, but I was never really satisfied with mine.  It felt significantly less robust than the USP or the P30.  If I had no prior experience with the USP or P30, I may not have noticed the following issues.  Little things like the weak side slide release lever and the plastic charging supports felt cheap to me.  The VP9 was the only polymer pistol I've owned that I could really feel a lot of flex in the grip when I squeezed.  I've read rave reviews regarding the VP9 trigger, but my particular VP9 had a fair amount of grit in the take up and a good bit of creep just before the break.  That said, the VP9 reset is pretty nice.  I'm sure I'm in the minority, but I like the USP and P30 triggers more.  

Just my $.02
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:15:34 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
While I can't speak to either of those two guns as I have not had the chance to shoot them, I do have a USPc 9mm and I really love it.

This thread in GD might have some bearing on your decision...take it for what it's worth.  I'm sure there are probably similar tests on the USP 9 on youtube.

http://www.ar15.com/forums/t_1_5/1933208_and_the_VP9_fails_MACs_gauntlet__test_yet_again_.html
View Quote

mac tests are useless, every gun he "tests" fails.  The only thing to learn from his tests is that machanical things fail when you get dirt in them, if you didn't already know that.  

His reviews are much more interesting.

eta - vp9 is a great gun for carry.  Both my usp sit in the safe but wouldn't hesitate grabbing either of them, just not for concealed carry.
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 1:27:05 PM EDT
[#35]
I'm carrying my VP9 right now
Link Posted: 2/5/2017 2:21:39 PM EDT
[#36]
For anyone debating which of these 2 guns to buy, here's my advice:

Buy both and shoot them both. Whichever one you shoot better, carry it. Then, keep the other one cuz it's also awesome.

Does that help?
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top