Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 9/7/2016 7:42:56 PM EDT
I was in a gun shop a few days ago and got to handle an H&K pistol for the first time. Instead of the usual magazine button on the side that I'm used to seeing, there was a small lever that you push down to release the magazine. I've never seen this type of mag release before. Is this a thing unique to H&K or are there other pistol manufacturers that do it this way?
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:46:07 PM EDT
[#1]
Its an HK thing, its been that way on many of their models for awhile now.
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 7:48:30 PM EDT
[#2]
Just HK and walther.

Once you get the hang of it it's tits.

Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:27:16 PM EDT
[#3]
I have a 9 and a .45 USP, and I love that type of mag release then the button release
Link Posted: 9/7/2016 8:34:37 PM EDT
[#4]
I like the paddle also.

In some cases I'd say I prefer it to a button. I have shorter thumbs I guess because with some pistols I have to shift my grip slightly to get a solid release press. It's not that big of a deal as I tend to use my support hand to slightly rotate the gun to break my grip. But still with the paddle I don't have to.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 12:49:25 PM EDT
[#5]
the paddles is a European design which HK and Walther uses. I prefer the paddles over the push button because I don't have to change my grip to release the magazine with the paddles like the push button. plus they are already ambidextrous and you don't have to buy parts to modify or take apart and place on the other side. but I saw MAC do a torture test on the vp9 and he threw the vp9 on the ground/rocks and 1 of the paddles did break off. but that's with throwing it on the ground hard so I don't think that it would break any other way.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 6:39:46 PM EDT
[#6]
Longtime Glock man, but I carry a VP9 for work and I have a USP Tactical .45. The European style mag relsease is a non-issue.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:41:23 PM EDT
[#7]
I actually like it on the VP9 LE. It is ambidextrous and works very well.
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:42:39 PM EDT
[#8]
I actually like it on the VP9 LE. It is ambidextrous and works very well.

OOPS, sorry double post
Link Posted: 9/14/2016 2:45:15 PM EDT
[#9]
Walther p99 and pps i carry have the paddle release. Best thing out there.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 12:36:51 PM EDT
[#10]
It's a better system once you get used to it IMO, especially if you're a lefty.
Link Posted: 9/15/2016 2:09:17 PM EDT
[#11]
I prefer the paddle as well.

Hell even a euro heel release doesn't bug me. If my P7 wasn't as heavy I'd carry it more.
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 4:26:24 PM EDT
[#12]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Just HK and walther.

Once you get the hang of it it's tits.

View Quote

^^This for sure .
Link Posted: 9/17/2016 5:18:59 PM EDT
[#13]
I bought my VP9 with the intent of competing with it, never really giving the paddle release feature a thought.  I was worried at first but it very quickly became a non-issue.  It was very easy to get used to.  I do mag swaps with my shooting hand middle finger without even thinking about it.

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top