Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2016 12:51:28 AM EDT
I own an early (1994) 40 caliber USP.  

I purchased the UTL from HK at the same time.  

It has apparently lost tension in the spring steel clamp that you tighten the light onto the rail with, and it falls off under recoil.  The battery cover on other side also comes loose fairly easily.  Despite its age I have not shot it that much.  (I did some work for HK and they made me an offer I could not refuse).  Do any of you guys know if there is someplace I could send the light for maitenence or order replacement parts?  Works fine otherwise.  

I think I fatigued the spring steel clamp by leaving it attached to the pistol while it sat in the gun safe for years, unused.  I wondered if some kind of shim might increase the tension on clamp?

I dont have any explanation for the battery cover as it is finger tight.  

I appreciate any advice.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 11:07:39 AM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:

It has apparently lost tension in the spring steel clamp that you tighten the light onto the rail with, and it falls off under recoil.  The battery cover on other side also comes loose fairly easily.  Despite its age I have not shot it that much.  (I did some work for HK and they made me an offer I could not refuse).  Do any of you guys know if there is someplace I could send the light for maitenence or order replacement parts?  Works fine otherwise.  

I think I fatigued the spring steel clamp by leaving it attached to the pistol while it sat in the gun safe for years, unused.  I wondered if some kind of shim might increase the tension on clamp?

I appreciate any advice.
View Quote

That's a tough one.  Insight Technologies was swallowed up by L3, and while it still exists as a subsidiary, I don't believe they're in the light business anymore.  I suppose you could always give them a shot, maybe somebody there might be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 1:48:06 PM EDT
[#2]
Thanks LV1976,

It still looks new, so I'd like to salvage it.  But I see I can get a new M2 version with the original 90 lumen incandescent bulb for only $75 at OP.

You advise is appreciated.  

Link Posted: 8/18/2016 2:16:20 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

That's a tough one.  Insight Technologies was swallowed up by L3, and while it still exists as a subsidiary, I don't believe they're in the light business anymore.  I suppose you could always give them a shot, maybe somebody there might be able to help you or at least point you in the right direction.  
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I appreciate any advice.

Sent one to L-3 for repair not too long ago. Came back good as new.
Link Posted: 8/18/2016 4:44:54 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 7:57:14 PM EDT
[#5]
I would like to thank BklynIrishfor suggesting I contact L.  I did and they got right back to me despite having a 20 year old system.

Reploacement parts arrived free of charge.

CS went to alot of trouble to make sure they were sending me the correct parts for my obsolete 90 lumen incandescent weapon light.

A plus service!
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:01:48 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
Thanks LV1976,

It still looks new, so I'd like to salvage it.  But I see I can get a new M2 version with the original 90 lumen incandescent bulb for only $75 at OP.

You advise is appreciated.  

View Quote

They were $75? Now they're  $150. Dang.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 8:26:51 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
I would like to thank BklynIrishfor suggesting I contact L.  I did and they got right back to me despite having a 20 year old system.

CS went to alot of trouble to make sure they were sending me the correct parts for my obsolete 90 lumen incandescent weapon light.

A plus service!
View Quote

You're very welcome. I, too, was very impressed with them.
Link Posted: 9/8/2016 9:39:36 PM EDT
[#8]
That's good to know. I have one from roughly the same time frame.
Link Posted: 9/9/2016 2:25:31 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

A plus service!
View Quote

Wow, I'm impressed. I'm surprised they had replacement parts on hand for an obsolete light that's been out of production for several years.  Great that you got your light fixed. It also makes me happy knowing they do that since I've got an Insight H2X Typhoon light, also out of production.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top