Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 6/7/2016 7:05:08 PM EDT
So I've got an opportunity to buy an FDE vp9 with 3 mags and the tritium night sights at my LGS for $689 otd. I've never owned an HK and I'm thinking of picking this one up. It's a beautiful pistol and feels fantastic in hand in my opinion. I own multiple GLOCKS, two higher end 1911's, a Hi Power (from Belgium ), and a few other miscellaneous handguns. So I'm basically wanting to know some folks opinions on whether or not they think that this VP9 is the HK to go for, being I have zero experience with them. For the record, I cannot abide a double action/single action system. I don't like em at all, so this is mainly why the vp9 got me looking into an HK in the first place. Thoughts and opinions are greatly appreciated.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:45:59 PM EDT
[#1]
Do it, awesome pistol! Love mine and have never had a single hiccup, dead nuts reliable...
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 7:53:57 PM EDT
[#2]
My SO has one and it's one of my favorites to shoot and she loves it ..and I can actually do well with it. Lots of people hate the mag release but I like it (I also have a USP .45 so it's not something new). I'd definitely go for it.
Link Posted: 6/7/2016 10:36:02 PM EDT
[#3]
Long time Glock guy, here...JUMP!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 8:53:09 AM EDT
[#4]
Do it. It's a pistol that gets better with age.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:12:03 AM EDT
[#5]
Do it
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:40:01 AM EDT
[#6]
You'll shoot it more than your Glocks.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 9:54:48 AM EDT
[#7]
The VP9 is the most accurate out of the box 9mm I've shot.  I had one when they first came out and got rid of it because it didn't do anything that my other pistols don't do.  After about 9 months I had to pick up another one because I just flat out shot it better than anything else I own.  Besides it's FDE how can you go wrong :)   David
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 10:06:55 AM EDT
[#8]
I was always an anti-Glock guy and I'm still not a full believer in them but they are growing on me but only since the release of the Gen 4 models. That being said, I've run an HK in one form or fashion as my main secondary. For the last 2 years it's been a VP9 and I have very few complaints. My main complaint is how easily the slide can be moved out of battery which is apparent when holstering the gun. My other complaint is standard across all HK pistols and that's the coating they use wears easily. Other than that I believe it is the most ergonomic and comfortable pistol out of the box on the market. It also has one heck of a trigger too.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 11:43:17 AM EDT
[#9]
Picking it up soon. Thanks for all you guys help!!!! Seems it's a go across the board!!
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:36:25 PM EDT
[#10]
I've been a long time Glock shooter (and also a long time HK shooter, I shoot them both about the same frequency).

First time out with the VP9 my groups were noticeably better than they were with the Glocks, with faster follow up.

I still prefer to carry DA/SA, and I'm not getting rid of my Glocks because they still fill certain roles, but the VP9 is pretty incredible.  
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 12:41:46 PM EDT
[#11]
Jump on it.
Link Posted: 6/8/2016 5:49:11 PM EDT
[#12]
Can you post a picture? Of be interested in a fde vp9.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:24:16 AM EDT
[#13]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Can you post a picture? Of be interested in a fde vp9.
View Quote

Link Posted: 6/9/2016 12:28:16 AM EDT
[#14]
Quoted:
I was always an anti-Glock guy and I'm still not a full believer in them but they are growing on me but only since the release of the Gen 4 models. That being said, I've run an HK in one form or fashion as my main secondary. For the last 2 years it's been a VP9 and I have very few complaints. My main complaint is how easily the slide can be moved out of battery which is apparent when holstering the gun. My other complaint is standard across all HK pistols and that's the coating they use wears easily. Other than that I believe it is the most ergonomic and comfortable pistol out of the box on the market. It also has one heck of a trigger too.
View Quote
I've got four VP9's, and none of them do that. What holster are you using? Sounds like the holster is out of spec and is too tight causing this to happen
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 5:18:31 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I've got four VP9's, and none of them do that. What holster are you using? Sounds like the holster is out of spec and is too tight causing this to happen
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Not making fun, just serious inquiry...why would someone need 4? Lol
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 7:27:14 AM EDT
[#16]
Backup pistols
Pistols for the entire family
Because two is one, one is none
Because it's a superb pistol
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:25:08 AM EDT
[#17]
Do it. I fell in love with mine twice.  The moment I held it, and then the moment I shot it. Deadly accurate.
Link Posted: 6/9/2016 11:52:39 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

It can happen with leather holsters...just push the slide in. It's not coming out of battery drawing the gun, and shooting through the holster is generally undesirable, so it's not a big deal. For a competition rig it may be an issue, but kydex can be adjusted quite easily.

The VP9 is the first polymer/striker fired gun I liked enough to buy. While people are really hyping the P7M8/13 right now I'd rather have the VP. It was made for "the people" and proves HK does not hate us
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 9:27:19 PM EDT
[#19]
Quoted:
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

I have 3.  All of them doing it when going in my MTAC itwb holster as it is tight sliding in. Nothing on my owb holsters. Not sure about the crossbreed as I don't use it.

Three because 1 daily carry, one night stand, one backup safe queen.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 10:18:32 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

I have 3.  All of them doing it when going in my MTAC itwb holster as it is tight sliding in. Nothing on my owb holsters. Not sure about the crossbreed as I don't use it.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

They don't do it in my Galco IWB, none of them, nor do they do it in my Bladetech OWB.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:08:31 PM EDT
[#21]
Quoted:
They don't do it in my Galco IWB, none of them, nor do they do it in my Bladetech OWB.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm thinking it's just because it collapses easy, and is snug between me and my belt. Again I've never had a problem where when I draw and Fire it's out of battery or anything. I simply see the slide go back slightly when holstering in the MTAC.  I never though of it until reading about it here.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:15:21 PM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:

I'm thinking it's just because it collapses easy, and is snug between me and my belt. Again I've never had a problem where when I draw and Fire it's out of battery or anything. I simply see the slide go back slightly when holstering in the MTAC.  I never though of it until reading about it here.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Are you a former DA/SA that has converted to striker like me? I still have the DA/SA habit of resting my thumb on where the hammer used to be while holstering and I do it slow, never feel the slide wanting to go back on me while doing so.

I think it's the tightness of the holster that perhaps is causing this.
Link Posted: 6/10/2016 11:30:22 PM EDT
[#23]
You are 100% correct. Old habits die hard I guess.  I do believe it is because of the tightness of the holsters. None of my slides have any excessive play. Actually barely any at all and that's only if I rock the slides towards the back of the gun. Like take my thumb and forefinger and rock it up and down on the frame. Minimal movement then even.  On all three it takes a good bit of pressure to make the slide move rearward at all.I don't feel there are any issues remotely with any of them.

Not sure why anyone would be worried about bolstering one and having the slide come back slightly.
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 12:17:16 AM EDT
[#24]
I had two VP9s. One was a replacement for the 1st because the slide and frame were misaligned badly. The replacement sent from HK was just as bad and misaligned in the same way. Sold it to a friend. It may not affect function, but the quality of assembly was missing. I like HK, in fact I have 5 USPS. I'm just disappointed in the VP9s attention to detail.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 4:47:11 PM EDT
[#25]
I can honestly said that is something I would have never noticed.  David
Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:23:38 PM EDT
[#26]
Haven't noticed that on any of the HK's I've handled... Probably wouldn't bother me, either.

Link Posted: 6/11/2016 8:48:23 PM EDT
[#27]
I just bought a VP9 LE in CA. I've been looking for one for a while and was happy to get a hold of it. I'm sure I paid way too much but they are a unicorn pistol here in Kalifornia. Can't wait to get it out of jail!
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:32:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Quoted:
I had two VP9s. One was a replacement for the 1st because the slide and frame were misaligned badly. The replacement sent from HK was just as bad and misaligned in the same way. Sold it to a friend. It may not affect function, but the quality of assembly was missing. I like HK, in fact I have 5 USPS. I'm just disappointed in the VP9s attention to detail.

<a href="http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/matthewd101/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14_zps0kd7xbga_edit_1449695034987.png_zpsgqdfdazx.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee493/matthewd101/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14_zps0kd7xbga_edit_1449695034987.png_zpsgqdfdazx.jpeg</a>
View Quote

Never ceases to amaze me how people will buy stuff just to analyze it to death. My frame/slide is the same as the picture.. who cares???  LOL 2000-2500 rounds down range POI matches POA, zero malfunctions, but I guess the POLYMER picatinny rail section is holding my light 1/16" off center with 0.6 degrees of runout.  

Do you take a car back to the dealer because the brake caliper casting is 1/8" thicker on the left than the right?
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 10:55:06 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

Never ceases to amaze me how people will buy stuff just to analyze it to death. My frame/slide is the same as the picture.. who cares???  LOL 2000-2500 rounds down range POI matches POA, zero malfunctions, but I guess the POLYMER picatinny rail section is holding my light 1/16" off center with 0.6 degrees of runout.  

Do you take a car back to the dealer because the brake caliper casting is 1/8" thicker on the left than the right?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

<a href="http://s1230.photobucket.com/user/matthewd101/media/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14_zps0kd7xbga_edit_1449695034987.png_zpsgqdfdazx.jpeg.html" target="_blank">http://i1230.photobucket.com/albums/ee493/matthewd101/Mobile%20Uploads/image_14_zps0kd7xbga_edit_1449695034987.png_zpsgqdfdazx.jpeg</a>

There's the Glock pig nose, which I don't see as a problem and doesn't annoy me. Then you have the M&P slide to frame gap, which doesn't bother me at all....and now this, still doesn't bother me and I own all three.

Some people just want something to be "wrong" just so they can be unhappy and complain about. All three still go bang and performs really well. It just boils down to personal preferences.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 11:51:18 AM EDT
[#30]
Quoted:
There's the Glock pig nose, which I don't see as a problem and doesn't annoy me. Then you have the M&P slide to frame gap, which doesn't bother me at all....and now this, still doesn't bother me and I own all three.

Some people just want something to be "wrong" just so they can be unhappy and complain about. All three still go bang and performs really well. It just boils down to personal preferences.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

True.

Arfcom has brought to light numerous common imperfections in numerous guns I had never noticed or bothered to pay attention to before. If it doesn't affect function and looks okay from 10ft I'm okay with it.

Some people think a few hundred to thousand bucks buys a masterpiece.

A few thou, maybe.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 12:30:07 PM EDT
[#31]
Jump, just not in silty water.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:02:46 PM EDT
[#32]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

First I want to say over all I'm a HK fan over all. I own 5 HK USPs. When I returned my HK VP9, HK even said yes that the alignment of slide and frame was pretty far off and that they would send me another one as a replacement. Well the replacement was just as bad. None of my USPs, my Walther P99, Browning Hi Power, G19, HS2000, or SWMP22 has a slide frame alignment visible like the VP9.

What I do like about the VP9
1. The trigger is great.
2. The ergonomics is great.
3. I like the sights

If this was an AR15 with the barrel or rail with as much deviation from the upper receiver it would be glaringly obvious and no one would be happy with it.

There must be a problem aligning the VP9s slide, rails, and frame. With the pistols like the USP or P30 the slide rails are built into the frame so you only have to align the frame and the slide. I'm just not happy with it so I choose not to own a VP9. I will not bash someone for owning one I just won't own one. Everyone has their limit to what they consider acceptable deviations of misalignment of parts on firearms. I just pointed out the visible issue I have with it. Each their own.
Link Posted: 6/12/2016 1:30:17 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:
[span style='font-size: 12pt;'][span style='color: red;']Jump, just not in silty water.
View Quote

That's pretty overblown. There's at least a half dozen Glock fail videos under similar circumstances, you just don't see any of the popular youtubers doing so, likely for fear of losing viewership.

Link Posted: 6/12/2016 8:08:18 PM EDT
[#34]
Quoted:
Jump, just not in silty water.

View Quote
This is Tech, not GD

Please don't try and stir the pot, it's not allowed and can be seen as flaming.
Link Posted: 6/16/2016 1:26:22 AM EDT
[#35]
still tempted by one.  Also wish they'll come out with a compact like the size of the M&Pc too.....
Link Posted: 6/17/2016 10:39:33 PM EDT
[#36]
I absolutely love mine.  This is the first pistol that I think I may end up with a second one.  I have always been a fan of Hk, and really prefer the paddle mag release.
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:01:00 PM EDT
[#37]
Will we see a VP 45?
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:12:12 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:
I absolutely love mine.  This is the first pistol that I think I may end up with a second one.  I have always been a fan of Hk, and really prefer the paddle mag release.
View Quote

I love mine so much I just ordered a second one .PSA has them for $519.00 ,
Link Posted: 7/22/2016 10:58:28 PM EDT
[#39]
Quoted:
Will we see a VP 45?
View Quote
That's the million dollar question right now.
Link Posted: 7/23/2016 9:48:41 AM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Will we see a VP 45?
View Quote

I'd rather see a VP9c first, followed by a VP40c.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top