Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 8/18/2015 11:22:26 PM EDT
I found a nickel P7, single stack, 9mm, heel release, 9/83 manufacture. It comes in a hard plastic HK matching serial number case with 2 mags and a manual that looks newer, like last 5-10 years newer. Gun looks new.

It has a printed green Florida Gun Exchange sticker on the box stating that it is satin nickel. Going by the numerical date code 9/83, I assume this was a police surplus gun that was imported and nickel coated here in the states? Similar guns seem to be going from $1500-1700+, one sold for $2200 on GunBroker tonight. I can pick this one up for $1200.

I've never owned one before and honestly, have never seen one before in person. Any input is appreciated.

Like this

And this.  The box has the red and blue circular stickers like this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500723576

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:34:26 AM EDT
[#1]
I had a P7M8 and a P7M13 that were the first models of each imported into the US.

The P7M8 I shot IPSC and IDPA with, and the P7M13 as my duty gun.

Both rusted if you looked at them wrong!

The nickel finish on P7s was the HK answer to that problem.

I contacted W. E. BIRDSONG & ASSOCIATES, INC to have a Black T finish and due to the complexity of the gun they would not finish the gun for fear of the coating effecting the parts tolerance.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:09:00 AM EDT
[#2]
The original bluing sucked. It is brittle but the guns are very accurate easy to shoot and easy to conceal.
That's my 2¢
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:17:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the input guys, keep it coming.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 2:35:34 AM EDT
[#4]
If it's in good shape, I'd fo.

That's a pretty good price these days.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:58:15 AM EDT
[#5]
You *might* want to handle/shoot a P7 before you buy if you can.  Some people do not like them.
I love mine, it is my favorite pistol, will never get sold.

+1 to what Birch said, that's a pretty good price.  I paid 1k for my blued surplus last year, prices have steadily been on the rise.

ETA:  I did a little digging on the HK boards, there were never any heel release pistols made in factory nickel so it has been refinished.  That being said if it looks good and you still want it that price is pretty fair.    

There is an armorer on the HK boards that will completely clean and field strip the pistol and replace any out of spec parts if you're interested.  His prices are great and his turnaround is very fast, PM if you want his info if you end up buying. He's worked on several of my HKs and does wonderful work.    

Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:06:15 PM EDT
[#6]
It looks like one of the NDS (Lower Saxony) PSP police trade in / surplus guns that had been refinished.

When those guns originally came in they came in three different quality lots: A, B and C. The A guns were in pretty good shape but with the B and C guns some had purple-ish refinishes or had obvious wear on them. I've seen a lot of folks get them refinished in one of the various nickel finishes on the market. I had my PSP refinished in Robar NP3.

And from what I have been told the red and blue stickers on the box were police armory stickers, indicating when the guns were serviced / sold off.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:13:33 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
It looks like one of the NDS (Lower Saxony) PSP police trade in / surplus guns that had been refinished.

When those guns originally came in they came in three different quality lots: A, B and C. The A guns were in pretty good shape but with the B and C guns some had purple-ish refinishes or had obvious wear on them. I've seen a lot of folks get them refinished in one of the various nickel finishes on the market. I had my PSP refinished in Robar NP3.

And from what I have been told the red and blue stickers on the box were police armory stickers, indicating when the guns were serviced / sold off.
View Quote

Yes, the gun I'm looking at does have an Nds stamp on it.

I wouldn't mind having one to try out and just to say I owned one even if I don't like it.

Seems like a decent price, but if it is a $1500-$2k+ gun like on the GB auctions, it's a no brainer. Or am I missing something on the GB auctions, prices can go super special on there at times so I don't know if it's a reliable indicator of value.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
You *might* want to handle/shoot a P7 before you buy if you can.  Some people do not like them.I love mine, it is my favorite pistol, will never get sold.

+1 to what Birch said, that's a pretty good price.  I paid 1k for my blued surplus last year, prices have steadily been on the rise.

ETA:  I did a little digging on the HK boards, there were never any heel release pistols made in factory nickel so it has been refinished.  That being said if it looks good and you still want it that price is pretty fair.    

There is an armorer on the HK boards that will completely clean and field strip the pistol and replace any out of spec parts if you're interested.  His prices are great and his turnaround is very fast, PM if you want his info if you end up buying. He's worked on several of my HKs and does wonderful work.    <a href="http://s1320.photobucket.com/user/j0rdanj1/media/P7_zpsa5da3241.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i1320.photobucket.com/albums/u530/j0rdanj1/P7_zpsa5da3241.jpg</a>

View Quote

Nice P7 jordan. If I end up picking it up, I'll hit you up for his contact info.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 1:56:42 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Seems like a decent price, but if it is a $1500-$2k+ gun like on the GB auctions, it's a no brainer. Or am I missing something on the GB auctions, prices can go super special on there at times so I don't know if it's a reliable indicator of value.
View Quote

The PSPs are floating on pure second hand market pricing at this point and that number seems to be gaining in value as time goes on. When the ABC guns first came in the A's could be had for around 7 to 800 bucks or less, the B's and C's obviously lower than that. I bought a B gun for like 600 and change back around 2006/7 or so (don't remember the exact year). It had holster wear but the internals were good and the barrel was still bright. The trouble with them was that for some reason the steel used in the slide and frame of the gun would not accept another bluing and they would turn purple if refinished (several were refinished and had purple slides). So your only option to make a worn looking B or C gun look good again was to have an aftermarket finish applied to it. I had my NP3'ed shortly after getting it and the refinish cost around 200 bucks give or take (again my memory is not sharp on the total cost with shipping and whatnot).

So from my vantage point the PSPs are the cheapest of the P7 family and the NDS guns are all police trade ins. Any refinish on them is aftermarket, most likely stateside. Back when the PSPs were $700 the P7M8 and M13's where double and even triple that. Now the M8's are hoving around 2 to 2.5 grand... meaning they've appreciated about 500 bucks in the last 8 years or so. So I would assume the PSPs would have done the same and be around 1 to 1,4 grand or so. Then again my logic could be flawed as I have not shopped for a P7 since back then when the NDS PSPs were coming in.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 3:09:00 PM EDT
[#10]
I have two PSP's and still am waiting to find a sweet deal on a M13 model some day.  They are probably the coolest pistol and one of the most unique IMO.  My fiance knows exactly what they look like and does everything in her power to make sure I do not see them when I go to gun stores and gun shows because if they are in good condition I will probably end up buying them.
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 6:39:02 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:
So from my vantage point the PSPs are the cheapest of the P7 family and the NDS guns are all police trade ins. Any refinish on them is aftermarket, most likely stateside. Back when the PSPs were $700 the P7M8 and M13's where double and even triple that. Now the M8's are hoving around 2 to 2.5 grand... meaning they've appreciated about 500 bucks in the last 8 years or so. So I would assume the PSPs would have done the same and be around 1 to 1,4 grand or so. Then again my logic could be flawed as I have not shopped for a P7 since back then when the NDS PSPs were coming in.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

This guys pricing structures mirror what I have seen for the last several years when I was shopping for my psp

Eta my p7 pictured above was grade C.  The internals are very clean but it has a good bit of holster wear.  I have been comtemplating a refinish but haven't taken the plunge yet
Link Posted: 8/19/2015 11:59:26 PM EDT
[#12]
P7s have certainly increased in price. As posted already, trade ins would sell for $550-$750 just several years ago. Somehow, they're suddenly in high demand and commanding high prices. I'm no great P7 guru, but most nickel finishes are not factory. I'm suspicious of any refinish (what it done for pure aesthetics or to remedy a problem?). Personally, I'd say a good condition P7 PSP is worth about $900.  If it was determined to be a factory nickel finish, $1200 might be reasonable due to rarity. But frankly I don't think the refinish adds any value myself. So I think $1200 is quite high. But, people are apparently paying these silly prices, so what do I know?  

Aside from price, my thoughts on the P7:
Ingenious design that can easily be argued as over designed. Until the Walther CCP (which isn't starting off too well), no one has copied/adapted the design. The grip cocking mechanism is unique and makes the P7 one of, if not the safest carry pistols. However, I have no use for a single stack carry, especially considering how compact pistols are becoming. As a range toy, it's fun, but after 4 mags or so at a moderate pace, the gas system makes the frame heat up to start being uncomfortable, depending on your grip style. The fixed barrel makes for it being a tack driver. The trigger is only so-so for what is essentially a single action. Kinda mushy. Mag changes aren't difficult, like say a P230/232, but they're not as smooth as you may be used to. Speaking of mags, they're astronomically priced. As the pistol wasn't a commercial success, there isn't much aftermarket for it.

Ultimately, I'm happy I have one in my collection, but I only got it because of its uniqueness, and because the price was reasonable for a used pistol. I thought $1200 was quite a premium for the P7M8 when I purchased my PSP...no way I'd pay $1200 for a PSP. It fires a 9mm projectile just like a ton of other firearms do, it just operates in a different way. But that's just me.
Link Posted: 8/20/2015 8:28:53 PM EDT
[#13]
I don't know if HK ever made a P7 factory nickel, I do know they made a very limited run of factory nickel P7M8's, I have one and they KC date coded. I picked mine up a few years back for 1050.00, I've seen some absurd asking prices on these particular guns lately.

Here's mine, I have matching box but previous owner sold the original mags.

Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:52:38 AM EDT
[#14]
Excellent info here guys. Thank you. Still on the fence but I might go grab it.
Link Posted: 8/21/2015 1:54:11 AM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
I don't know if HK ever made a P7 factory nickel, I do know they made a very limited run of factory nickel P7M8's, I have one and they KC date coded. I picked mine up a few years back for 1050.00, I've seen some absurd asking prices on these particular guns lately.

Here's mine, I have matching box but previous owner sold the original mags.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/arjohnson/media/DSCF7487_zpsvikzcsht.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v441/arjohnson/DSCF7487_zpsvikzcsht.jpg</a>
View Quote

Very nice.

THAT is a factory nickel gun. And I know that this one I'm looking at is not. But I wouldn't mind adding it to the stable.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:38:07 AM EDT
[#16]
$2k plus for a refinished nickel PSP?   WTF?

I bought/traded a P7M8 with the police marking shaved off for about $900 and spent $300-400 getting it remarked and refinished in nickel by Ford's and thought I was an idiot.   And that included some extra mags and wasnt too long ago.   Plus the Ford nickel refinish looks several times better than the H&K factory nickel finish.

Shortly after I also bought a mint P7M8 for about $1200 with several mags, but it does have the ugly billboard warnings.

Both guns came with box, cleaning tools and docs.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:58:59 AM EDT
[#17]
WOW someone got ripped off. Same seller sold another P7 that'd been refinished for $3000+. A P7 PSP is a $900-1,000 gun. Add on cost of refinishing and there you have it.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 11:39:09 AM EDT
[#18]
Quoted:
I found a nickel P7, single stack, 9mm, heel release, 9/83 manufacture. It comes in a hard plastic HK matching serial number case with 2 mags and a manual that looks newer, like last 5-10 years newer. Gun looks new.

It has a printed green Florida Gun Exchange sticker on the box stating that it is satin nickel. Going by the numerical date code 9/83, I assume this was a police surplus gun that was imported and nickel coated here in the states? Similar guns seem to be going from $1500-1700+, one sold for $2200 on GunBroker tonight. I can pick this one up for $1200.

I've never owned one before and honestly, have never seen one before in person. Any input is appreciated.

Like this

And this.  The box has the red and blue circular stickers like this one.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=500723576

View Quote

That seller had a couple like that. They are not original nickel finish and the date on the slide is manufactured date not imported date. I tried to tell the seller he was wrong ,but they didn't seem to care. Told me they stand by there description.

This one from them which went much higher was also not original nickel finish and not imported in 1982. In fact it was imported December of 2008 and the Columbus,Ga import mark was lost/ covered over when nickel plated most likely in 2009.

It's a shame a dealer says "trust our descriptions" and then at best is just wrong or at worst being dishonest.

Please do your research before paying outrageous prices for a mis described police trade-in.

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=502181235
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 1:05:49 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

WOW someone got ripped off. Same seller sold another P7 that'd been refinished for $3000+. A P7 PSP is a $900-1,000 gun. Add on cost of refinishing and there you have it.
View Quote
that auction was insane.  That guy paid 3x market value and the seller was very deceptive.  Bad stuff all around.  

Shame he didnt know what he was buying.

Link Posted: 8/28/2015 4:12:19 PM EDT
[#20]
I know. I read about the first one on HKPro. Many members there tried to contact sellers, to let them know their posting was incorrect. They didn't care. They saw $$$ and went for it. Sad.
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 10:18:28 AM EDT
[#21]
dont forget many of these were refinished when imported and then sold by CDNN and others:  http://www.hkparts.net/shop/pc/HK-P7-PSP-Pistol-Nickel-p2304.htm

however, back then everyone seemed to be honest about it.

Link Posted: 9/8/2015 2:10:38 PM EDT
[#22]
I've been watching the prices on P7 series and they seem to average at (good to VG) :
P7 / PSP  $1,000
P7M8   $1,500
P7M13  $2,000
P7M10   $2,500 and up.

I wouldn't pay anymore than $1,000 for a P7 or PSP. The main reason they're so much cheaper is the fact they have that European mag heel release on the bottom of the magazine well. It's much slower to reload than the M8/M13/M19 trigger finger release. That and I noticed that the P7 seems to have a fatter, mushy trigger pull. I have models of the M8/M13, and M10 and their triggers are not as fat and there is no mushiness. I have a P7 as a beater/shooter that I purchased 16 years ago as an extra P series gun just to have for a shooter. If carrying CCW I'd be using either the P7M8 or M13 because they are much, much quicker to reload and get back into action. I carried my P7M13 on duty for several years until they removed certain guns from the authorized duty carry list at work. I had consistently high scores on our quarterly firearms qualifications which do require timed firing as well as combat reload stages with continuing firing after a reload. The M13 beat out all the other shooters for reload and re-engagement speed.
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top