Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 5/8/2015 10:41:51 PM EDT
If you had to choose one, which would you opt for?

My 'grail gun' has for years been a Custom Combat esq USP 9 (match trigger, fiber/night sights, jet funnel). The VP9 has since hit the stage and while I have not had the chance to fire one, I've heard nothing but praise. The ones I've held in shops have felt good and I can't find any red flags that steer me away from it.

I currently own a USP 45 tactical and really dig it; i assume I would like the USP 9 just as much.

I'm in the market for a 9mm and it's down to these two. If you had to choose one, which would it be and why?
Link Posted: 5/8/2015 11:35:43 PM EDT
[#1]
em that's a hard one.  

The USP 9 tac will be identical to the 45 sans a possible small size difference and caliber.  

I think it really depends if you want another large tac or you want to get your feet wet with a striker.  

I have always wanted to shoot a TAC but never had the chance.  I fondled a VP9 the other day and it felt good however I have never fired one.  

Remember the price difference will be about  4-$500 as well.

If I had the money I'd get the tac because I like the USP a lot.  YMMV

Both are great pistols IMO
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:08:13 AM EDT
[#2]
I vote for the VP9. Very impressed with mine.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 4:35:25 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I vote for the VP9. Very impressed with mine.
View Quote

+1
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:38:29 AM EDT
[#4]
Jeez...do you really have to ask?

The only answer is BOTH!!!!

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 9:30:41 AM EDT
[#5]
Both might not be in the cards at this point but someday =D

I don't think I want a USP 9 tactical. While I like the 45 tactical, the raised sights are almost too much. The axis is super high. I also don't plan to suppress the USP so a standard USP with the fixings would be more my speed.

I think I need to go fire both to be honest.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 10:33:31 AM EDT
[#6]

Quoted:

If you had to choose one, which would you opt for?

My 'grail gun' has for years been a Custom Combat esq USP 9 (match trigger, fiber/night sights, jet funnel). The VP9 has since hit the stage and while I have not had the chance to fire one, I've heard nothing but praise. The ones I've held in shops have felt good and I can't find any red flags that steer me away from it.

I currently own a USP 45 tactical and really dig it; i assume I would like the USP 9 just as much.

I'm in the market for a 9mm and it's down to these two. If you had to choose one, which would it be and why?
View Quote
I love my VP9, and am already toying with buying a second.  It's a fantastic pistol, especially for the price, and saves you hundreds of bucks.

But in your case, I would suggest the USP9 without hesitation.  I've sold too many guns to too many people who bought something other than their Grail guns because it "made sense".  Every single one of them can quote you the exact price difference between what they bought and what they were really after.  To me, that tells me they would have been happier with their Grail gun.  Rarely, I do meet people who met their Grail gun, and THEN decided to buy something else, and rarely regret it--but it does happen.

OP, buy your USP.  If you then tire of it and offload it, you'll be happier than if you simply skipped it.

But make sure to post pictures
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:19:26 PM EDT
[#7]
I vote USP.  They are built like a tank but you already know that.  It's hard to beat a proven platform.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 2:51:32 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a USP 45, USP 9 and USPc9.  I have shot a VP9 and liked it.  but personally, id rather go with a P2k (sk) as my next pistol.  I have big hands so the USP fit me alittle better.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 5:44:41 PM EDT
[#9]
USP 9

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 6:20:15 PM EDT
[#10]
I'd go USP.

I just prefer to stick with Glock for my striker fired needs.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:05:26 PM EDT
[#11]
Interesting points. Is the custom combat variety still available form HK (match trigger/jet funnel/fiber sights)? I can't find any listed for sale online.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 7:48:39 PM EDT
[#12]
Own both. Absolutely no contest.

VP9.

Everything about the VP9 is better than the USP series. I'd be hard pressed to find a single thing about the USP9's that are preferable.

Great guns, everyone knows that, but this current gen of HK's are clearly the best yet.

Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:30:24 PM EDT
[#13]
I would vote for a USP9 to go along w/ my USP45 and USP45c Stainless.
Link Posted: 5/9/2015 8:42:29 PM EDT
[#14]
I started my HK USP career about
3 years ago. I had wanted a USP for
many years, like you OP, and when a
friend waved a USP .40 under my my
nose, I had the cash & I bought it. I was
not in the market for one, let alone in .40.
I later bought a .40 press. I have been
loading 9 & .45 since '98, but not .40
until now, to feed that USP.

Then I looked into converting it to a host,
but I found that I could buy a .45T for not
that much more than the components for
the conversion, so I bought one of those.

That lead me to buying a USP 9, because
I have used 9mm as my training caliber for
AR's for years, for matches, classes & range
trips.

I am now researching and moving toward
have a slide milled for an RMR to go on
my USP .45T.

I suggest you buy the 9mm USP to support
your .45T, and the USP 9mm is still a
reasonable SD handgun, as well, tactical
or not.

My rambling $.02 worth.

YMMV

John

Edit to add. I hated the raised sights on the Tactical.
Being all black, I had significant trouble lining up
the sights, after using 3 dot sights for many years,
so I have changed the sights on  the .40 &  .45T out
to Truglow TFO's. I will change the 9mm to Tritiums
of some sort, or to TFO's, if I can find one more set.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:18:39 PM EDT
[#15]
I swung into the LGS today and checked out both the VP9 and a USP 40 (they didn't have a 9 but the chassis is the same, right?). When trying the trigger on the VP9, it kept 'catching' on the takeup. I wasn't able to figure this out but it seemed odd to me. Do they all do that or was I doing something weird? Either way, the USP felt better in hand.
Link Posted: 5/10/2015 9:27:33 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:
I swung into the LGS today and checked out both the VP9 and a USP 40 (they didn't have a 9 but the chassis is the same, right?). When trying the trigger on the VP9, it kept 'catching' on the takeup. I wasn't able to figure this out but it seemed odd to me. Do they all do that or was I doing something weird? Either way, the USP felt better in hand.
View Quote

Yes, the 9 and 40 are identical.
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 10:25:56 AM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:
My 'grail gun' has for years been... USP 9...
The VP9... I've heard nothing but praise... felt good...

I'm in the market for a 9mm and it's down to these two.
View Quote

Of the models you've referenced, I personally own only the USP 45 Tactical, USP 45, and the VP9 for comparison, but here's my take;
   You have the USP 45 Tac, an admittedly large, heavy, wondrous piece of machinery.  You're satisfied with it.
   Your 'Grail Gun' is only slightly smaller, with a lot of ergo-commonality.  You really desire one.
   You have found an entirely different item, which also appeals greatly to you.  You believe you may like one.

Since you have been lusting after the USP 9, I say you should follow through and get one.  You won't be disappointed.  At the lower price point and current popularity, the VP9 will be a much quicker & simpler aquisition after your lust for the USP has been satisfied.  It would seem that I've just paraphrased the adage, "Get Both"!
Link Posted: 5/12/2015 8:29:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I have a USP9 that I swapped a match trigger, Meprolight adjustables, and an HK45 ambi safety into, and converted to a variant 9. I don't own a VP9, but have shot one.

You can't go wrong with either one. The VP9 had a nice trigger and I shot it well. If you shoot thumbs forward, do be aware that the slide release is long and you'll have to roll your support thumb out a bit so you don't ride it. I personally prefer the M&P with an APEX FSS and trigger simply due to the control placement, but the VP9 was a nice gun.

As for the USP, that thing is a tack driver and the single action is excellent. It's a little flippier than the VP9, but a very soft shooter nonetheless. It's quickly becoming one of my favorite handguns.
Link Posted: 5/20/2015 11:40:58 PM EDT
[#19]
Both.
Link Posted: 5/30/2015 10:25:56 PM EDT
[#20]
I vote for the USP. I had one years ago and regret selling it as it was more  accurate than I am and I was able to carry it cocked and locked. The only downside, if you can call it that, is that is a little blocky but man what a shooter. I hope to get another, one of these days.
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 2:13:27 AM EDT
[#21]
I have both and both are great, but I say get the USP.

The Combat Competition has the match trigger not the custom combat. All are converted here from stock USP's

Check out this old thread of mine on making a combat competition

http://www.hkpro.com/forum/hk-handgun-talk/162983-combat-competition-budget.html
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:27:29 PM EDT
[#22]
What is the consensus on the jet funnel magazines? I've been reading up on them and it seems that there are some reliability issues that resulted in new, all steel 18 round mags? Anything to be concerned of?

Along those lines, how are the poly 15 round USP mags? Any issues with leaving them loaded for periods of time?
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 12:55:50 PM EDT
[#23]
I've had USP45 mags loaded for long periods of time going over 6 months sometimes, no issues. It's HK; you buy what you get
Link Posted: 5/31/2015 7:23:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
What is the consensus on the jet funnel magazines? I've been reading up on them and it seems that there are some reliability issues that resulted in new, all steel 18 round mags? Anything to be concerned of?

Along those lines, how are the poly 15 round USP mags? Any issues with leaving them loaded for periods of time?
View Quote

I will say I did have two swell to the point of being unusable. But 2 out of over 20 in 8yrs or so isn't bad in my book.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 9:20:20 PM EDT
[#25]
I've own a USP Compact, a P30L and a VP9 -- I gotta say, I shoot the best with the VP9! Kinda frustrating considering it's the cheapest of the lot.
Link Posted: 6/2/2015 11:10:19 PM EDT
[#26]
Get the SD or Tactical (whichever you come across) of the USP.  It will be a nice smaller brother to your 45 Tactical.  I question how much longer H&K will offer these special USP models.  You don't miss them til they're gone (Then again, they're still offering the Mk23).  Also you could almost buy two VP9's for the price of one SD or T model, thus if you have the money now, get the Tactical.  Sure it may be more than what you need, but then again, isn't the 45 at that point?  

Link Posted: 7/24/2015 9:04:10 PM EDT
[#27]
It really all depends on what you shoot best and feel the most comfortable with.  Striker or SA/DA.  I have had a few USPs is various calibers along the way. I loved them all and still think they are some of/ if not the best shooting guns around, but when push comes to shove I still prefer a striker fired pistol. No matter how great I think they are, I still will go with a striker fired pistol as my primary.  Absent of any bias on my end, go with which system you like best.  I guarantee that you will be happier in the end.  Both are great pistols.
Link Posted: 7/24/2015 11:11:08 PM EDT
[#28]

Quoted:

It really all depends on what you shoot best and feel the most comfortable with.  Striker or SA/DA.  I have had a few USPs is various calibers along the way. I loved them all and still think they are some of/ if not the best shooting guns around, but when push comes to shove I still prefer a striker fired pistol. No matter how great I think they are, I still will go with a striker fired pistol as my primary.  Absent of any bias on my end, go with which system you like best.  I guarantee that you will be happier in the end.  Both are great pistols.
View Quote

I agree with all of this.

Link Posted: 7/31/2015 2:05:23 AM EDT
[#29]
I have all three (sans the Tactical bit) USP45, USP9, and the VP9.  I shoot all very well; the USP45 the best with the VP9 and a very close second.

With that said, I have fired more rounds, and continue to fire more rounds out of my USP9 than the VP9.  I love the VP9 and it is a pistol that isn't going anywhere.  I'd be splitting hairs to say that I shoot one of the other better because it comes down on what side of the bed I woke up on.  I will say I do not pull to the left hardly at all with the VP9 as I do with the USP9 and that is because of trigger.  I am also faster with the VP9 on follow shots.  The VP9's trigger is the key.  I have fired pretty much all variants of pistols and understand both striker and DA/SA.  This is coming from a guy who grew up on 1911s as a kid, so I was spoiled on a good trigger.  

Shooting wise and price point, the VP9 is hands down the best!

But end of the world times; or just to get me home from a bad disaster (OTR trucker and I carry), I take the USP9 for its size, capacity and caliber.  None the least, reliability. (I've fired 7,000+ rounds through mine for the 3 years I had it).

The USP9 will get you better with your USP45T.  In fact, you will shoot it a lot more due to the cheapness of the ammo and mags.  USP9 mags are 1/2 the price of USP45 mags.  The are very durable and hold up a bit more than even Glock mags.  The Jet funnel mags will fit the USP9 without the Jet funnel kit (I'd get the steel ones if you are going to keep them loaded over time).  I'd also get the 10 pound hammer spring from Wolff.  Makes the double action about as smooth as the USP45.  

The USP9 will be smaller than the USP45T, and you will have to order the extended base plates for the magazines if you are used to the USP45 mags.  I prefer the grip of my USP45 as it seems to fill my hands better while I fill I have to adjust my grip on the USP9 at times (about to get grip tape for it shortly).  It does have the high bore axis but without out the O-ring (unless you get the tactical or expert).  It shoots very smooth, however.

So, if you are wanting a shooter that is fast and accurate with a good crisp trigger that seemed to to be lacking in almost all HKs  (sans the P7) and save some coin for ammo, Get the VP9.

If you are wanting your "grail" and want to have a very close clone to your USP45T to save wear and tear (like that exists on an HK) and can get mags for it cheaply and right-damn-now, get the USP9.  Probably by the time you are in the market for the VP9, not only can you get it, but mags should be back in supply.  

[
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top