Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 6/17/2014 12:02:58 PM EDT

The VP 9 is .14" wider, .06" longer, and .42" taller than the Glock 19 gen 3. It is also 1.9 oz heavier.

With that being said, I already ordered one to *possibly* replace my beloved Glock 19.

ETA: I changed the photo to note the "bore axis"
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 5:30:13 PM EDT
[#1]
Great post, thanks!
Link Posted: 6/17/2014 6:03:54 PM EDT
[#2]
Very interesting. I am also very curious about the VP 9. I have owned USP's, a P7M8, USP compact and the only ones that stay in my collection are Glocks. I am anxious to see this handgun.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 9:18:10 AM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for sharing this visual comparison!

While 1/2 of an inch doesn't sound like much, I've found it makes all the difference when carrying a handgun IWB. I've gone through the trouble of cutting down and reshaping revolver grips just to lose 1/2" because sometimes it's the difference between proper concealment and horrible printing.

Now...I understand that this gun wasn't developed to be a CCW pistol, nor does it seem to be marketed as such. On the other hand, the G19 fits that role very nicely. It looks like the VP9 is more along the lines of a duty or HD pistol, where I'm sure it will excel. I just don't see the VP9 crushing the Glock 19 in the CCW market, but I'm sure the VP9 will sell very well amongst those who are enlightened to some of Glock's current production issues.

I don't carry a pistol in a LE or MIL capacity, so for me the VP9 looks like a potentially good Home Defense option. Unfortunately, that's where it ends for me. Of course, those of you with different body shapes, even more forgiving wardrobes, or more gun-friendly local politics will have a different opinion.
Link Posted: 6/18/2014 12:09:58 PM EDT
[#4]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Thanks for sharing this visual comparison!

While 1/2 of an inch doesn't sound like much, I've found it makes all the difference when carrying a handgun IWB. I've gone through the trouble of cutting down and reshaping revolver grips just to lose 1/2" because sometimes it's the difference between proper concealment and horrible printing.

Now...I understand that this gun wasn't developed to be a CCW pistol, nor does it seem to be marketed as such. On the other hand, the G19 fits that role very nicely. It looks like the VP9 is more along the lines of a duty or HD pistol, where I'm sure it will excel. I just don't see the VP9 crushing the Glock 19 in the CCW market, but I'm sure the VP9 will sell very well amongst those who are enlightened to some of Glock's current production issues.

I don't carry a pistol in a LE or MIL capacity, so for me the VP9 looks like a potentially good Home Defense option. Unfortunately, that's where it ends for me. Of course, those of you with different body shapes, even more forgiving wardrobes, or more gun-friendly local politics will have a different opinion.
View Quote

I'm not quite sure where HK takes measurements (magazine inserted or not?) but if you look at the magwell, the front ledge is *almost* as low as the magazine when inserted. That probably adds 1/4" or so to the overall length compared to the Glock 19.

Link Posted: 6/18/2014 3:31:35 PM EDT
[#5]
Great pic, thanks.  In my opinion, that little bit does make a difference in carry.  Unfortunately it makes a much bigger difference in comfort (for me).  The Glock 19 grip is just too short, and the finger grooves put the crests right under my fingers.  That's why I'm currently hiding away money for an HK.  I think the 19 would be much more comfortable if they'd extend the grip down and around the magazine like most semi-autos.  My brothers all have 19s and love them.  Hell I love them.  They're just not comfortable.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:26:01 AM EDT
[#6]
Any holsters available for or that at least are a good fit for these yet?

Thanks for the comparison pic BTW.
Link Posted: 6/21/2014 1:07:40 PM EDT
[#7]
Thanks for the size comparison, any eta of when your vp9 will arrive?
Link Posted: 6/25/2014 2:09:00 AM EDT
[#8]
Hopefully this has a decent trigger. HK's horrible trigger is what drove me away from them. I also wish they wouldn't have that ridiculous indicator on the back of the VP 9. That said the P30 grip is the best of any handgun I have owned.
Link Posted: 6/30/2014 6:55:43 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Hopefully this has a decent trigger. HK's horrible trigger is what drove me away from them. I also wish they wouldn't have that ridiculous indicator on the back of the VP 9. That said the P30 grip is the best of any handgun I have owned.
View Quote

Whats so ridiculous about it ?  

It serves a purpose
Doesn't get in the way
Doesn't really add any complexity to the design
Can be seen while the pistol is holstered

As far as HK trigger's i have no problems , i also shoot Glocks equally well. Some people just have limited abilities.
Link Posted: 7/2/2014 12:02:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Edited...VA-gunnut

Link Posted: 7/7/2014 1:31:52 PM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Thanks for the size comparison, any eta of when your vp9 will arrive?
View Quote

My VP9 is arriving today. I'll be posting pictures and a short review tomorrow
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 6:06:02 PM EDT
[#12]
Here is what I posted about the VP9.....I like mine...:).  Yes they are out there, although the first shipment may have dried up about now.  Yes they take P30 magazines, and sight options.  It is very close to the same size as a G19, but the grip is a touch longer.  This is a non issue for me as I prefer a longer grip and have extended the grip on my 19 for that reason.  The picture posted above is actually a bit deceiving.  On paper the VP9 is slightly longer than the G19, but if you look at where the web of your hand sits on both pistols, the slide and barrel length is almost identical.  The VP9's added length is actually on the rear of the slide and frame.  

H&K is sitting in a very good position with this pistol.  The near future will be very interesting to watch with H&K and the VP series of pistols.  

FYI I have owned PPQ both M1 and M2's, M&P's, FNS, XD's other H&K's and of course Glocks.  The VP9 takes the best of all of these in my opinion and combines them into one pistol.  

The PPQ trigger may be better for some due to a slightly shorter reset.  I had no issues with it at all and made no difference in speed or accuracy during drills with me.   The PPQ's trigger is also lighter and some folks don't want the lighter trigger, but some do. The break on the VP9's trigger is clean and crisp, very much like the PPQ, just a bit heavier.

I personally like the trigger on the VP9 better than the PPQ.  I just feel like I have a bit more control over it.  Again it's going to be shooter preference thing, but I don't think anyone would be disappointed in it.

The geometry is a little different on the VP9 compared to other polymer guns.  This is hard to explain, but it is very glock like, the trigger finger placement, and where the trigger shoe hits the break point.  The geometry and grip placement feels like a glock.  Again this is hard to explain, but if you shoot glocks a lot, the VP9 will feel very familiar, but with a trigger thats worlds better.  

The ergos are almost the same on the PPQ and VP9, but the nod goes to the VP9 because of the grip panels being replaceable.  The VP9 feels like the P30 as far as quality and workmanship.  Everything fits perfectly, no loose tolerances, built like a tank H&K type feel to it.  Mine has been 100% with everything that has gone through it.  

Overall the VP9 is an outstanding weapon, and I'm not surprised given H&K's pedigree.  

The single complaint I have is the grip texture is a bit slippery.  I will soon take care of that with a little texturing....:)

Added length on the back of the VP9 compared to the G19.  Not the best pic, but you get the idea.  

TXPO
Link Posted: 7/7/2014 11:57:36 PM EDT
[#13]
Has anyone else tested whether forcefully inserting a full mag will drop the slide and chamber the first round from slide lock? The particular VP9 I shot was able to do this but I would like to know if this is relatively consistent across most units.

Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:45:21 PM EDT
[#14]

Quick review for now:

300 rounds fired, zero malfunctions. Grip feels awesome and accuracy was at par or better than my Glock 19. Magazine release is quicker and easier and I've never used a paddle release prior to today.

I like this handgun so much that it is replacing my Glock 19 as my EDC and primary training handgun.

As a side note, it carries better than a Glock 17 but prints ever so slightly more than a Glock 19 for appendix carry.

Get the VP9! Its awesome

ETA:
How could I have forgotten the trigger... compared to my Glock 19 trigger with the minus connector and competition trigger spring, way more defined. I felt more in control of each shot. I knew exactly when it was going to go bang.

I have not had much time with a PPQ trigger but from what I remember, the PPQ felt lighter.

The VP9 is definitely am excellent trigger and I feel 100% confident about AIWB carry.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 9:55:14 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
Has anyone else tested whether forcefully inserting a full mag will drop the slide and chamber the first round from slide lock? The particular VP9 I shot was able to do this but I would like to know if this is relatively consistent across most units.

View Quote

Yes it causes the slide lock to release the slide. But that totally normal.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:06:44 PM EDT
[#16]
Quoted:

View Quote

It's called Auto-Forwarding. The M&P is known for doing this. Some guns do and some don't, but it's usually typical across a product line.
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 10:18:15 PM EDT
[#17]
Awesome, thanks for the confirmation AZ. I like it as a "feature" for faster reloads in competition
Link Posted: 7/8/2014 11:19:32 PM EDT
[#18]

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:14:00 PM EDT
[#19]
Question for new VP9 owners. Is the texture on the grip as aggressive as the p30? I carry a Glock 19 for a reason. I carry the gen3 because the grip texture isn't irritating against your skin. The p30 has an aggressive grip like my HK45. Uncomfortable to carry. When I carry it I have to wear a thirst in between the handgun and my side. It is so aggressive that it snags on a cotton tshirt.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:33:15 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Question for new VP9 owners. Is the texture on the grip as aggressive as the p30? I carry a Glock 19 for a reason. I carry the gen3 because the grip texture isn't irritating against your skin. The p30 has an aggressive grip like my HK45. Uncomfortable to carry. When I carry it I have to wear a thirst in between the handgun and my side. It is so aggressive that it snags on a cotton tshirt.
View Quote

I'm sure it's nothing a small bit of sandpaper can't fix.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 4:42:05 PM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes note:

Buys new $800 handgun, runs home and takes sandpaper to it! Yeah!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:03:22 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:
Makes note:  

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes note:  

If you paid $800 you ripped yourself off. The MSRP is $719 and buys have been closer to $600.

Make your gun work for you. If a gun is perfect but it's too abrasive to carry there's nothing wrong with slight sanding to take the edge off the grips. Your gun, your decision, but it's not exactly a valuable or collectable gun and resale is a moot point on a gun you pan to carry.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:43:24 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:

I really like that G19. Where'd you get the grip reduction and stippling done? Why did you cut the grip down so much?
View All Quotes

Thank you, I did the work myself I didn't do any grip reduction, just removed the finger grooves, undercut the trigger guard, and beveled the magazine well for ripping magazines out easily.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:43:46 PM EDT
[#25]

Quoted:

If you paid $800 you ripped yourself off. The MSRP is $719 and buys have been closer to $600.

Make your gun work for you. If a gun is perfect but it's too abrasive to carry there's nothing wrong with slight sanding to take the edge off the grips. Your gun, your decision, but it's not exactly a valuable or collectable gun and resale is a moot point on a gun you pan to carry.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes note:  

I'm dumb; because, I don't know the MSRP to this firearm and I don't want to take my $719 weapon and Jerry rig it with sandpaper or the other extreme a hot iron. This whole site is turning into GD.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:54:51 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
I'm dumb; because, I don't know the MSRP to this firearm and I don't want to take my $719 weapon and Jerry rig it with sandpaper or the other extreme a hot iron. This whole site is turning into GD.  
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Makes note:  

You're right, it is. Someone posts a problem, another person makes a suggestion and gets ridiculed for it because they don't like the answer.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 5:59:43 PM EDT
[#27]

Quoted:
You're right, it is. Someone posts a problem, another person makes a suggestion and gets ridiculed for it because they don't like the answer.
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

Makes note:  

You didn't post a solution nor an answer to my question. Go away troll.

Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:04:18 PM EDT
[#28]
He did post a solution. How about you go away and GTFO of my thread
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:06:22 PM EDT
[#29]

Quoted:

He did post a solution. How about you go away and GTFO of my thread
View Quote
Ok, a solution.. To a problem that the question wasn't answered. Tell me how you took sandpaper to your new HK.

Ill let you guys get a room together.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 6:43:29 PM EDT
[#30]
It's a tool not a goddamn collectors item.
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 9:37:54 PM EDT
[#31]
Well this thread about a firearm that most are enthused about just shit the bed.

The grip texture is not nearly as aggresive as the texture on my HK45, no belly burn here!
Link Posted: 7/14/2014 11:56:07 PM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

Well this thread about a firearm that most are enthused about just shit the bed.

The grip texture is not nearly as aggresive as the texture on my HK45, no belly burn here!
View Quote
Thank you sir. That what I was hoping to hear. In images I have seen it didn't appear as aggressive but I wasn't able to tell for sure.

Link Posted: 7/15/2014 10:41:46 AM EDT
[#33]
So in your opinion OP, is the VP9 superior to the G19 for EDC? I'm still wanting to get my hands on one to try, as I loved the P30 grip, and I'm contemplating shifting from my Gen 4 G19 to the VP9.

As far as printing goes, I've never had a problem with this as I'm a naturally big guy and usually wear a light jacket.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 11:00:35 AM EDT
[#34]
I tried the VP9 and dry fired it couple of time. To me, PPQ trigger is way better, smother uptake and reset was shorter compare to VP9.

I take PPQ over it still at this point. Also, the right side slide release feels weaker and not well made. Looks like they just decided to add that on there at the last step of the design. Wish it looks the same as the left side.
Link Posted: 7/15/2014 12:35:43 PM EDT
[#35]
Quoted:
So in your opinion OP, is the VP9 superior to the G19 for EDC? I'm still wanting to get my hands on one to try, as I loved the P30 grip, and I'm contemplating shifting from my Gen 4 G19 to the VP9.

As far as printing goes, I've never had a problem with this as I'm a naturally big guy and usually wear a light jacket.
View Quote

In my personal opinion, yes I do think it's a better choice for EDC. It's an excellent handgun with a very good trigger, an ergonomic grip, and a few extra safety features. Oh and no BTF! I've been carrying my AIWB for about a week now and it carries about the same as the Glock 19.

As a side note, I've never owned a handgun with the paddle release and it took me a whole 15 minutes to get used to it. I'm actually faster with my reloads now!
Link Posted: 8/3/2014 10:00:40 AM EDT
[#36]
Thanks for all the great objective pics.

Subjectively eyeballing the slide mass and grip it looks like a lot more handgun compared to the G19, but I have yet to hold one. Since I  am not an operator (CHL) I may wait (but I doubt it!) for the next iteration to see if they come up with an SK version.

Any subjective input on snap/flip compared to the low "bore axis" G19?

Link Posted: 8/17/2014 10:51:30 PM EDT
[#37]
Was wondering the same. I carry a G19 and was looking at the VP9 as I really liked the P30 feel in my hand. Sometimes I carry a G27 depending on what I wear.

Quoted:

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 7:47:11 AM EDT
[#38]
I happened across the vp9 last week at a small store while travelling for work. I bought it since the price was so good, the guy did $599 for the vp9 since I paid with a check.  I picked up an extra magazine yesterday and when it was all said and done, the vp9 with a 3rd magazine was $120 more than the last gen4 glock I bought(a couple years ago).  For me it was well worth the extra money.  

Got to shoot about 100 rds this weekend and I sold my glock 19 at the range since I knew I wouldn't shoot it anymore.  It shoots great, the magazine release is not an issue, and it feels much better.  For me the biggest difference is the grip, a glock 19 is short and the grooves don't fit me well.  I never feel like I have a good grip on it.  The vp9 is definitely a full size grip, my hands don't hang off the bottom and the grooves fit very nicely.  I only wear size 8 or 9 gloves.  With sweaty hands the vp9 is great because it fits so well while the glock 19 was terrible with sweaty hands.  

I rarely carry my own guns around town, but the vp9 is a touch larger(mainly grip length) than a glock 19.  If you can get over that I would get one in a heartbeat.  
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 8:20:54 AM EDT
[#39]
I sure as hell wouldn't dump my G19 for the VP9, but it'll definitely be added to the collection.

My HK guns have always been favorites, and now it's nice to see the lower price point is going to make these fine pistols available to a wider group of shooters (many of whom previously bashed HK) but now, interestingly, seem to have forgotten all that whining.

Turn the page HK whiners, your gun has arrived.
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 9:23:31 AM EDT
[#40]
I carry my G19 and G27 on a regular basis for me to dump my G19 for the VP9 would take a lot but then again I'm still looking to find a VP9 locally.

Link Posted: 8/18/2014 11:38:54 PM EDT
[#41]

Think I will just keep them both.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:02:39 AM EDT
[#42]
Why the introduction of the VP9? What role is it fitting that the P30 doesn't?
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:24:52 AM EDT
[#43]
Quoted:
View Quote

People want a quality striker fired polymer pistol with a great trigger and good ergonomics.  VP9 fills that need, at a decent price point thats competetive with other offerings currently available.  Glock is decent, but the Gen 4 triggers aren't that great unless you do some tinkering with it, and the ergonomics of the grip aren't that great.  M&P does better on the ergonomics, but the trigger still isn't that great unless you do an aftermarket job on it.  I still have my G17 for work, and I think it's a fine pistol, but the HK VP9 has it beat in just about every way.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 11:50:10 AM EDT
[#44]
Quoted:

People want a quality striker fired polymer pistol with a great trigger and good ergonomics.  VP9 fills that need, at a decent price point thats competetive with other offerings currently available.  Glock is decent, but the Gen 4 triggers aren't that great unless you do some tinkering with it, and the ergonomics of the grip aren't that great.  M&P does better on the ergonomics, but the trigger still isn't that great unless you do an aftermarket job on it.  I still have my G17 for work, and I think it's a fine pistol, but the HK VP9 has it beat in just about every way.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks for the answer. My only guess was that it was serving as a striker-fired version of P30 in order to appeal to glock types.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 1:03:59 PM EDT
[#45]
Quoted:

Thanks for the answer. My only guess was that it was serving as a striker-fired version of P30 in order to appeal to glock types.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Well, in fairness there's probably a lot of truth in your guess, it shares a lot with the P30 frame but with some improvement, but the real selling point on this gun is the trigger.  I think most would agree that in general, striker pistol triggers are nothing to write home about, but the VP9 really changes that right out of the box, along with flat out better ergonomics.  If you get a chance to handle one, you'll see the difference. Glock has been sitting on it's ass with basically the same pistol for the last 30 years or so, incrementally upgrading with each generation, a lot of people would actually consider the G4 a step back.  S&W started to chip away at the striker market, now HK is doing the same, with a demonstrably better product than either.  Will it kill Glock or the M&P? Absolutely not, but it should prove to be a viable competitor in the market.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 6:51:32 PM EDT
[#46]
Quoted:

Well, in fairness there's probably a lot of truth in your guess, it shares a lot with the P30 frame but with some improvement, but the real selling point on this gun is the trigger.  I think most would agree that in general, striker pistol triggers are nothing to write home about, but the VP9 really changes that right out of the box, along with flat out better ergonomics.  If you get a chance to handle one, you'll see the difference. Glock has been sitting on it's ass with basically the same pistol for the last 30 years or so, incrementally upgrading with each generation, a lot of people would actually consider the G4 a step back.  S&W started to chip away at the striker market, now HK is doing the same, with a demonstrably better product than either.  Will it kill Glock or the M&P? Absolutely not, but it should prove to be a viable competitor in the market.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

The VP9 is the pistol I was looking to buy, back in 2008 but just didn't exist yet. Honestly, this is a bit of a dream come true for me and I find myself finally going home to HK
Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top