Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » H&K
Site Notices
Posted: 4/7/2014 6:50:37 PM EDT
I am thinking no because of the firing pin block which is controlled by the trigger.

So if the hammer catches on something and slams back down, any danger there?

-LTC-
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 7:21:32 PM EDT
[#1]
Quoted:
I am thinking no because of the firing pin block which is controlled by the trigger.

-LTC-
View Quote

No, as you said firing pin block would interdict and prevent the firing pin from moving without the trigger disengaging the block.
Link Posted: 4/7/2014 11:05:14 PM EDT
[#2]
As above, no.

The hammer technically "hits" the firing pin every cycle.
However, because the hammer return spring is very weak, it doesn't impart any real force onto the FP or the FB blocker.

ETA: the hammer return spring could break and a LEM would still cycle and fire normally.
The hammer would simply flop about.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:54:02 AM EDT
[#3]
Quoted:

-LTC-
View Quote

What do you mean by this? How will the hammer slam back down when it only goes back as you're pulling the trigger?
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:00:33 PM EDT
[#4]
I dont have any USP's so not sure about them but on the p 30's and HK 45's the hammer does not contact the firing pin at rest. There is lever that contacts the hammer and keeps it away from the firing pin. The lever angles down into a groove on the hammer, only when pulling the trigger thus allowing the hammer to go all the way forward.  
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 3:05:40 PM EDT
[#5]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

As above, no.

However, because the hammer return spring is very weak, it doesn't impart any real force onto the FP or the FB blocker.

ETA: the hammer return spring could break and a LEM would still cycle and fire normally.

View Quote

Really? You sure about that?

Like I said above I don't have any USP's so not sure if they are the same. But the hammer on my LEM's stay's to the rear after cycling and only moves foward a small amount when I relive pressure off the trigger to hit the reset.

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:43:29 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:

Like I said above I don't have any USP's so not sure if they are the same. But the hammer on my LEM's stay's to the rear after cycling and only moves foward a small amount when I relive pressure off the trigger to hit the reset.

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
As above, no.

You're right, I'm wrong.
Link Posted: 4/8/2014 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:

What do you mean by this? How will the hammer slam back down when it only goes back as you're pulling the trigger?
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

-LTC-

I might have done a poor job describing it originally.

Normally a SA/DA hammer will stay in the cocked position until the trigger is depressed and the hammer falls on to the primer. With an LEM it is my understanding that the hammer can not actually be pulled into the 'cocked' position it is always down unless being actuated by the trigger. However I am wondering if the hammer caught on some clothes or my coat as I was holstering and then sprung forward would the gun go bang? Think of it like the old cowboy guns where they shot quickly by slapping the hammers with their hands.

Clearer or just more muddy?
Link Posted: 4/9/2014 4:13:57 PM EDT
[#8]

Quoted:

Normally a SA/DA hammer will stay in the cocked position until the trigger is depressed and the hammer falls on to the primer. With an LEM it is my understanding that the hammer can not actually be pulled into the 'cocked' position it is always down unless being actuated by the trigger. However I am wondering if the hammer caught on some clothes or my coat as I was holstering and then sprung forward would the gun go bang? Think of it like the old cowboy guns where they shot quickly by slapping the hammers with their hands.

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

I understand what you are asking I'll try to explain it with some potato pics. This is my HK 45c in light LEM.

Notice the Hole/notch near the bottom of the trigger and the bar that is in line with it. Not sure what that bar is called I call it the hammer stop because that is what it does basically.

In this pic the hammer is resting on the hammer stop which is slightly above that notch. This is how a the hammer would be if the gun was loaded and ready to fire. If you were to manually work the hammer it would simply return to this position which is resting against the hammer stop no where near the firing pin.

Here it is after pulling the trigger. While pulling the trigger the hammer stop angles downward and goes right into the notch in the hammer allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin.

This is how the hammer looks if this gun was loaded and ready. Notice how far the hammer is sticking out. Again if the hammer were to be manually pulled back and dropped it would return to this position resting against the hammer stop.

Here it is after pulling the trigger, the bar angled downward into the notch and the hammer is now resting on the firing pin.

Probably more information than you were asking but hopefully I made some sort of sense.

Link Posted: 4/9/2014 8:03:17 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

I understand what you are asking I'll try to explain it with some potato pics. This is my HK 45c in light LEM.

Notice the Hole/notch near the bottom of the trigger and the bar that is in line with it. Not sure what that bar is called I call it the hammer stop because that is what it does basically.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_180837_zpsatmpbm2r.jpg

In this pic the hammer is resting on the hammer stop which is slightly above that notch. This is how a the hammer would be if the gun was loaded and ready to fire. If you were to manually work the hammer it would simply return to this position which is resting against the hammer stop no where near the firing pin.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181041_zps0ygnzvyp.jpg

Here it is after pulling the trigger. While pulling the trigger the hammer stop angles downward and goes right into the notch in the hammer allowing the hammer to strike the firing pin.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181125_zps2dxxoxyl.jpg

This is how the hammer looks if this gun was loaded and ready. Notice how far the hammer is sticking out. Again if the hammer were to be manually pulled back and dropped it would return to this position resting against the hammer stop.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181342_zpsby0j9dku.jpg

Here it is after pulling the trigger, the bar angled downward into the notch and the hammer is now resting on the firing pin.

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181424_zpsmbxcmg0a.jpg

Probably more information than you were asking but hopefully I made some sort of sense.

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_180837_zpsatmpbm2r.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181041_zps0ygnzvyp.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181125_zps2dxxoxyl.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181342_zpsby0j9dku.jpg

http://i66.photobucket.com/albums/h251/hunt24r/20140408_181424_zpsmbxcmg0a.jpg

I appreciate it and now I believe I understand!

Thanks for that extra effort!  
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 6:10:19 AM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

-LTC-

Ok. You’d basically have to try to get the hammer to come back without using the trigger. Since it's not barbed or protruding from the slide much at all, it's actually difficult to manually manipulate the hammer. In any sense, it still has the same safety devices the DA/SA guns do. Meaning, you still have the firing pin safety and you still have that tab that keeps the hammer from hitting the pin unless the trigger mechanics push it down out of the way. Kind of hard to explain, the pics above probably show (I can’t see them as I’m at work), but it’s the same system that keeps the DA/SA guns from randomly going off when you decock.
Link Posted: 4/10/2014 4:52:20 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

No problem I was bored anyway.
Link Posted: 4/14/2014 8:52:23 PM EDT
[#12]
Regardless of where the hammer is, the firing pin block plunger is not depressed until the trigger is pulled and near breaking.

In this pic bruiser took you can see the piece that rises up and depresses the spring loaded firing pin plunger in the slide when the trigger is pulled. It is to the left of the hammer stop. The firing pin cannot and will not move forward to strike the primer unless the trigger is pulled. Good pics bruiser.

Here is the firing pin block plunger in my LEM P2000SK referenced by the pen tip. An extremely safe design, just get a quality holster and rest easy carrying with a round in the chamber. The gun WILL NOT FIRE unless the trigger is pulled. Follow the age old four rules, be mindful while holstering (IE make sure any clothing etc are clear of the trigger) and you're GTG.

Page Handguns » H&K
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top