Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/20/2016 12:40:13 PM EDT
I had a Series 80 Colt Lightweight Commander, 45 ACP, stainless slide and satin nickel aluminum frame with some nice bone grips. Unfortunately it was stolen.

I am thinking about replacing it. The replacement would be the same configuration, Colt Lightweight Commander, 45 ACP, stainless and satin nickel. I haven't kept up with the newer Colt's, are there other version I should consider?
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 1:33:36 PM EDT
[#1]

Colt LW Commander SKU:0484XE
All black anodized/blued,New production....you will like it.msrp $949.00

I also have a Dan Wesson Guardian LW Commander type,few more dollars but also very nice.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:01:12 PM EDT
[#2]
What would be the consideration for either the newer Colt or the Dan Wesson? What is it about them that make them a better choice than a series 80?

BTW I am stuck on the Stainless/Nickel version.
Link Posted: 8/20/2016 7:34:32 PM EDT
[#3]
Dan Wesson will likely be fitted a little tighter than the production line Colt. Not to say that it would affect anything. Some people just obsess over a super tight slide to frame fit. The series 80 parts adds just a slight amount of creep to the trigger in exchange for a positive block of the firing pin in case of the pistol being dropped or the hammer somehow dropping without the trigger being pulled.

One other Colt option to look at would be the Wiley Clapp Lightweight commander or the stainless Wiley Clapp combat commander. Both have a checkered front strap and mainspring housing, NM barrel, and the original pre-series 80 firing system (no firing pin safety). They can be found around $1,000 to $1,100 last I checked. If you bought a normal Lightweight Commander and sent it off to be checkered and refinish it would likely cost more than what it would have cost to just have bought the Wiley Clapp in the first place. That doesn't factor in the NM barrel either.

ETA - The Wiley Clapp line of pistols is found under the "Special Editions" tab on Colt's website.
Link Posted: 9/1/2016 7:20:01 PM EDT
[#4]
I would like to add something on the new Light Weight Commander..   I bought one and really like it..  I had the gun apart for cleaning and long story short lost one of the two recoil springs..   The new light weight commander uses a new dual recoil spring assembly..  I found out the hard way that these parts are not available to order..  Brownells and Midway handle all of Colts parts now - and they do not even stock them.   I am not talking about them being on back order - they are not available at all.   I called Colt and initially they basically told me that since the new recoil assemblies last 15000 rounds - they are not offered on the new gun..   I found this troubling as the gun has been out since last year - and doesnt do me much good at this point

I will say that Colt did send me a replacement spring (after a few calls) - so they did take care of me..   But just note - that you can not order replacements for the new Commander recoil assembly (they just became available for the Govt models on Brownells) - and will either have to switch back to the standard assembly (with a different spring guide and spring) or some other aftermarket assembly - or talk Colt into sending you one (which they did - but a hassle/time/etc)

Unless of course something has changed in the last few weeks - and If someone knows where to get Colt springs and a spring guide replacement for the new Light Weight Commander - I'm all ears....

Colt mentioned there is no release date set yet for the parts
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 2:23:09 PM EDT
[#5]
Just to clarify, the new Lightweight Commanders (model number ending in XE) are series 80 pistols with the new dual recoil spring and guide rod. The Wiley Clapp models all have standard recoil spring and guide rod setups.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 4:08:00 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Unless of course something has changed in the last few weeks - and If someone knows where to get Colt springs and a spring guide replacement for the new Light Weight Commander - I'm all ears....

Colt mentioned there is no release date set yet for the parts
View Quote

Oh - and no one (Wolf,etc) makes a replacement spring for the factory Colt Commander dual recoil assembly - that I could find..   So to clarify - if you wear it out, lose it, or just want to have spares - not gonna happen...  Like I said before - have to switch back to the regular one spring and guide - or go with some other proprietary solution from another company for a dual recoil spring set up

Just upsets me that Colt will not offer the replacements
recoil springs at that ?!?

Dont see much good in breaking in - getting used to a system that you cant get spares/replacements for..  Maybe Wolf will jump in and offer something but for now - there are no replacement options without going to some other company's dual set up  - just a shame - the dual spring setup really is better - especially on the lightweight model

Offer the damn springs Colt !

good opportunity for a company like Wolf (please please please)

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top