Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/7/2016 9:09:26 PM EDT
Been trying to figure this out....

I have an older Colt Defender and Commander (1991 series) - both have the 'duckbill' grip safeties on them.
I recently bought one of the new light weight Commanders - like it a lot
it seems the new Defenders and light weight Commanders (ss 1991s too) have a factory beavertail

My question is - will the factory Colt beavertail for the newer Defenders/1991s fit the older pistols with the duckbill safeties ??
Will I need to modify the frame or will they drop in ?

Thanks in advance for any input you might have ...
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 12:14:37 PM EDT
[#1]
While it may the rule with 1911's is never ever expect anything to drop in and fit
Link Posted: 8/9/2016 10:30:42 PM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
While it may the rule with 1911's is never ever expect anything to drop in and fit
View Quote

Yeah - that's pretty much what I am hearing

I called Colt and they were cool about answering my questions - they always have been

The upswept beaver tail grip safety installed on the new Defenders/Commanders/SS 1991s,  etc - are all the same part
They checked and this part should fit the models with the 'duckbill' safety

HOWEVER - they said individual fitting would most likely be needed (minor filing to the safety) and at a minimum should be checked
So basically the same as a Wilson 'drop in' grip safety...
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top