Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 6/22/2016 2:02:07 PM EDT
I work at a shop and today this 1911 was given to me to do some research on due to the Nazi stamps on the slide and frame. In the case with the firearm was a small blue piece of paper (I believe some sort of tax card dated 1944. I have looked around the internet and found very little about commercial 1911s stamped with Nazi marks.The gun was supposedly made in 1923.

I have two primary questions, 1, what could the stamps potentially mean? And second, if anyone knows anything about the paperwork with it, I am curious as to why the two are together? Does the paper add any sort of provenance to the firearm?

Thanks for any help.

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:20:33 PM EDT
[#1]
Don't be a tease - post the pics.  We can't read the german for you if you don't post it.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:34:14 PM EDT
[#2]
Nazi capture?

More than likely not though. Someone probably did it to add "value" like Mitchells Mausers does
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:35:38 PM EDT
[#3]
Photo's of the stamps would help greatly.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:38:38 PM EDT
[#4]
Post pictures.

Chances are the markings/engravings are not real. It's probably a fake
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:40:58 PM EDT
[#5]
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:44:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Norwegian arsenal?
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 2:47:53 PM EDT
[#7]
There is a bunch of info if you google 'Nazi marked 1911'.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:08:17 PM EDT
[#8]
Sorry didnt mean to tease. I feel kind of dumb now for forgetting the pictures. Unfortunately, when I started researching I found very little on commercial 1911s making their way into Germany especially in 1944, the date listed on the German tax form.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:16:11 PM EDT
[#9]
Stamps look fake to me, especially slide.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:36:07 PM EDT
[#10]
The markings appear to be inspection marks.  Specifically the WaA53 indicates inspection by Maschinenfabrik Augsburg-Nürnberg A.G.  

As far as the paperwork, translation is fairly easy but I can't immediately identify the purpose or its correlation to the gun in question.  It is a wage tax card however.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 3:55:13 PM EDT
[#11]
This.  According to german wikipedia, that's a payroll or other general tax receipt - bears the same resemblance to the gun as tossing your W2 or a pay stub in with your pistol, provided it's even from the german owner.  Might conceivably be a pistol purchase or carry permit payment receipt, though.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:27:30 PM EDT
[#12]
It sure looks fake.
Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:29:28 PM EDT
[#13]

Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

It sure looks fake.
View Quote

I'm going with this

Link Posted: 6/22/2016 4:53:56 PM EDT
[#14]
I almost tend to agree, though I question who or why.  The markings appear to have different numbers in the photos or is that just my old eyes?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:01:40 AM EDT
[#15]
Could the serial number be from the original Norwegian contract, or a sales gun used to get that contract?

Otherwise, it's a very complex story about a US GI carrying his personal commercial pistol, it getting captured, stamped, and recaptured...  with no documentation.  Unless Colt does factory letters like the Winchester museum?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 1:54:44 AM EDT
[#16]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Could the serial number be from the original Norwegian contract, or a sales gun used to get that contract?

Otherwise, it's a very complex story about a US GI carrying his personal commercial pistol, it getting captured, stamped, and recaptured...  with no documentation.  Unless Colt does factory letters like the Winchester museum?
View Quote

Colt will issue a letter against their recorded disposition of the firearm, according to its serial number, so basically to first recorded purchase.  After that it's up to you to hunt it down.  Oh, and letters aren't free.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 2:15:03 AM EDT
[#17]
I see no reason to discount it. Firearms traveled all over the World from country of origin to other countries long before conflicts started. That piticular firearm could have been there many years before it was stamped. First thing to check is date of manufacture then fire off a letter to Colt and see what info comes back. It could have been part of a shipment of guns that went to Europe for sales samples to any number of countries or even just personally owned by a well to do European and brought back from a trip to the USA. Maybe a traveling American left it to a friend..?
The stamping makes me think it is just anal German record keeping for a gun that was not manufactured there but shows it was registered and or Tax paid ?
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 10:56:11 AM EDT
[#18]
It's a commercial 1911, the last year before 1911A1

S/N C130000 to C133999 – 1923 – 4000

Link Posted: 6/23/2016 3:19:17 PM EDT
[#19]
Thank you everyone for the input. I have spoken to the owner, and they are weighing the option of getting the Colt letter. If they do decide to have it done I will share with you all the results of their findings.
Link Posted: 6/23/2016 6:02:04 PM EDT
[#20]
Sweet, I hope it's real.
In for update, hopefully
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:55:14 AM EDT
[#21]
man who knows...   As mentioned by one prior poster, if its legit, I would guess a 1911 that was imported one way or another to Germany prior to hostilities.  Think of the nice nickel Colt in Letters from Iwo Jima.

Maybe the stampings were part of the importation process or perhaps the gun was contributed to the war effort.  Or even knowing how Germans love to document and stamp as many things as possible, perhaps some eccentric German officer insisted on carrying it in combat and had to have inspected and stamped.

The Germans even assigned an official number for captured 1911s: German forces also used captured M1911A1 pistols, using the designation "Pistole 660(a)

The double stamp Nazi Eagle is the biggest question mark though, never seen that before and it looks just too Hollywood.  I wouldn't be surprised if the Waffenamts are original and some jackass decided to "Nazi it up" and added that Eagle, did it poorly and double struck it.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top