Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/1/2016 10:31:42 PM EDT
The title says it all but to fill in some details:  It's 98+ condition.   All original, series 70, built in the early 80's.  No box.  Picked it up for $600.00 close to 8 years ago.  

My original plan was to keep it as a safe queen and pass it down.  Now I'm thinking about carrying it and giving it some range time.  If I do so, it will inevitably succumb to wear and tear.  What would you do?
Link Posted: 5/1/2016 10:44:02 PM EDT
[#1]
Shoot it. If it had sentimental value or was extremely rare then sure make it a safe queen, but it's not so carry it and shoot it. It would mean more to me to receive a gun my dad carried everyday and trusted his life too than one that sat in a safe and he forgot about. Besides there's just something special about a well used and cared for colt.
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:05:39 PM EDT
[#2]
Shoot it. Series 70 guns were at best hit or miss reliability wise; if you plan on handing it down, you probably should make sure it actually runs.

Personally I'd take a new manufacture one any day over the older ones...
Link Posted: 5/2/2016 3:44:45 PM EDT
[#3]
I dropped my 80 series lightweight commander in the desert sand Two months ago while camping.. I swear it jumped out of my holster..

Shoot it.. Often and fast.. You'll be glad you did.
Link Posted: 5/3/2016 12:13:59 AM EDT
[#4]
Thanks for the replies fellas, I'm going to enjoy it and put some history in it before it gets handed over to the next gen!
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top