Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 11/14/2015 5:09:43 PM EDT
My Uncle has one with an aluminum frame, serial range 331xxf. What do you guys know about these?
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:24:48 PM EDT
[#1]
I have one. Its one of my favorites to shoot.
Sights are rudimentary, but work well if you know the point of aim.

Mine was made in the 60's and has a q suffix serial number.
They made many collector versions. Some with buntline barrels.

Does it have the .22 mag cylinder? Some came with it, some did not.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 5:32:02 PM EDT
[#2]
No it doesn't have a magnum cylinder, nor did it when my great uncle purchased it new. My uncle thinks it was '58 or '59 when his Father bought it. Barrel length is 4.5 inches.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 6:35:47 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one, mine is an 'F' letter prefix 6" barrel, it's a fun shooter.  

When I bought it, it came with a .22 magnum cylinder but when I tried to use it, the timing was way off, the firing pin was hitting the cylinder instead of the cartridge.

One of these days when I find the cylinder, I may again entertain the idea of sending it back to Colt, since I have another pistol in .22 WRM it's not high on the priority list.

Link Posted: 11/14/2015 7:13:33 PM EDT
[#4]
My dad gave me one when I was in middle school.  I still have it.  Cool guns.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 8:04:32 PM EDT
[#5]
I have a nickel 5.5 inch in .22 made in 1969.

Love it rivals my 1942 Officers .22,for a favorite shooter.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:06:34 PM EDT
[#6]
I have the one that belonged to my father-in-law.  It was one of his favorites and the handgun he'd had the longest.  It has both cylinders and is in the original box, but the box isn't in the greatest shape in the world.

It's a nice little gun.  My mother-in-law used to have a bag of coins by father-in-law had shot holes in.  He'd toss them up in the air, pull the gun from the holster and shoot the coins.  He was very good shooting from the hip with that little gun.  One evening we were out shooting (me with my Ruger Single Six and him with the Colt) when if finally got too dark to see the sights.  We turned to walk back to the house when he stopped and said he'd found one more bullet in his pocket.  He loaded in in the Colt cylinder, spun the cylinder around to put that cartridge in the right spot to move under the hammer when he cocked it and shot a soft drink can off the post even though we could no longer see the sights (we'd laid the cans on their sides when it started getting dark so we could see the shiny bottoms easier than the painted sides).

No idea what they are worth these days but I'll be passing his guns on to his grand children if I can get them together to take turns picking through them (handguns, deer rifles, squirrel guns and one shot gun).

They are 4/5's scale copies of the Colt SAA centerfire guns, if I recall correctly.  Same action/function.

My father-in-law said he cash his check, stop at the hardware store and buy a brick of .22 ammo on Friday and by Sunday the brick would be gone.  The next weekend he'd repeat it.  No telling how many rounds he put through that little revolver over the years.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:25:58 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I have one, mine is an 'F' letter prefix 6" barrel, it's a fun shooter.  

When I bought it, it came with a .22 magnum cylinder but when I tried to use it, the timing was way off, the firing pin was hitting the cylinder instead of the cartridge.

One of these days when I find the cylinder, I may again entertain the idea of sending it back to Colt, since I have another pistol in .22 WRM it's not high on the priority list.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/coltnewfrontier.jpg

View Quote

What you have there is a New Frontier .22.  The Scouts have fixed rear sights just like real SAA.
Also, the new frontier guns have steel frames whereas the scouts have an alloy "zamack" frame.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 9:27:09 PM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:
I have the one that belonged to my father-in-law.  It was one of his favorites and the handgun he'd had the longest.  It has both cylinders and is in the original box, but the box isn't in the greatest shape in the world.

It's a nice little gun.  My mother-in-law used to have a bag of coins by father-in-law had shot holes in.  He'd toss them up in the air, pull the gun from the holster and shoot the coins.  He was very good shooting from the hip with that little gun.  One evening we were out shooting (me with my Ruger Single Six and him with the Colt) when if finally got too dark to see the sights.  We turned to walk back to the house when he stopped and said he'd found one more bullet in his pocket.  He loaded in in the Colt cylinder, spun the cylinder around to put that cartridge in the right spot to move under the hammer when he cocked it and shot a soft drink can off the post even though we could no longer see the sights (we'd laid the cans on their sides when it started getting dark so we could see the shiny bottoms easier than the painted sides).

No idea what they are worth these days but I'll be passing his guns on to his grand children if I can get them together to take turns picking through them (handguns, deer rifles, squirrel guns and one shot gun).

They are 4/5's scale copies of the Colt SAA centerfire guns, if I recall correctly.  Same action/function.

My father-in-law said he cash his check, stop at the hardware store and buy a brick of .22 ammo on Friday and by Sunday the brick would be gone.  The next weekend he'd repeat it.  No telling how many rounds he put through that little revolver over the years.
View Quote

That's a cool story.
Link Posted: 11/14/2015 11:02:20 PM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:

That's a cool story.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

That's a cool story.

That is a cool story, this one will belong to my niece.
Link Posted: 12/20/2015 11:47:48 PM EDT
[#10]
Late to the party. Mine was made in 1968 and it's a fantastic shooter, with either cylinder.

It ain't the best picture, but it's handy.

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top