Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Posted: 8/28/2015 9:26:02 PM EDT
I realize it's a fairly loaded question, given the article in American Rifleman and the crazy pricing for these guns of late.

I got this Python about a year ago in a trade deal with my old boss. He'd had it sitting around in his safe at the shop for awhile, and I always had my eye on it. I moved out of state, and in the process took him a bunch of tools that I didn't need or want to move, and ended up walking out of his shop with the Python.

Score for me.

I had intentions of sending it in to Colt to be gone through and refinished. Also started the hunt for a pair of appropriate grips. Neither has taken place, and it sits on the shelf in my office...

I've only fired two cylinders worth of rounds through it. I know absolutely notihng about revolvers, but there seems to be a 'click' where there shouldn't be - about halfway back on the trigger pull in double action. It seems to shoot well enough for the dozen rounds I've put through it, but you can tell it's been thoroughly used through the years. Finish looks funky in several spots, and I'm not a fan of the Pachmyr grips.

Serial number indicates 1968 manufacture. I've cleaned it up a bit since these pics were taken, but it honestly doesn't look a whole lot better...

So, now I'm trying to buy a house and realize that I'm not going to be able to do much of anything with this pistol for the foreseeable future. Seems like the time is right if I'm going to part ways with it, before I get too attached...

But what 'reasonable' price to ask? I'm really more interested in the firearm making its' way to someone that will do it some justice than I am sitting on it with a ridiculous asking price. Cruising of gunbroker and similar sites turns up all kinds of offerings in a vast price range, but nothing that is relative in condition to this one.

Any information or advice as to the reasonable value would be appreciated. If it matters, I am located in the midwest - southwest Ohio to be exact, but I'm not immune to shipping firearms to FFL's for sales outside state lines.
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 9:37:50 PM EDT
[#1]

$1500-3000+ depending on buyer.

Gun broker will get you the higher end of that price.

Link Posted: 8/29/2015 12:31:40 PM EDT
[#2]
Keep in mind any refinish of the gun will result in a lower value with only the possible exception of colt but if you spend say $600 on a 1000 dollar gun to have it refinished the final result will be at best a 1200 dollar gun and in the case of highly collectible guns that will decrease more.
In today's market the pictures suggest this may be a 1000-1500 dollar gun at best
Link Posted: 8/29/2015 1:11:25 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Keep in mind any refinish of the gun will result in a lower value with only the possible exception of colt but if you spend say $600 on a 1000 dollar gun to have it refinished the final result will be at best a 1200 dollar gun and in the case of highly collectible guns that will decrease more.
In today's market the pictures suggest this may be a 1000-1500 dollar gun at best
View Quote

I had planned to get it refinished and the action worked over at Colt, but never got around to it. I do agree that if resale is the name of the game, refiinishing is probably a no-no, even if done by Colt.

$1,000-1,500 is the range I was thinking, as well. Just looking to see if I am way off base one way or the other.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 1:28:21 PM EDT
[#4]
Around here that would easily fetch $1,200-$1,500 but that's where it would top out. Broke guys can't afford more and real collectors want perfect examples.
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 11:07:07 PM EDT
[#5]
... interested in serious answers too

Last weekend, I bought a pristine Colt Python - less original grips ($900). Took me $11.50 in gas to get it though

So, I'd like to know ??
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:56:23 AM EDT
[#6]
Prices have been creeping up on 2.5-3k for original guns lnib with papers. No box, or original grips hurt the value a lot. The Op's gun is a shooter only and refinishing it wouldn't harm the value none. You'd be hard pressed to get 1000 for it, 800 is realistic. Grips, boxes, and papers can add hundreds of dollars to the worth of a python.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 2:22:28 PM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Prices have been creeping up on 2.5-3k for original guns lnib with papers. No box, or original grips hurt the value a lot. The Op's gun is a shooter only and refinishing it wouldn't harm the value none. You'd be hard pressed to get 1000 for it, 800 is realistic. Grips, boxes, and papers can add hundreds of dollars to the worth of a python.
View Quote

Start that at $1 on a 10 day auction on Gunbroker and I bet it would bring $1500.
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 9:18:54 PM EDT
[#8]
I've never been on Gunbroker, and don't have the patience for another account/password. I'm looking to find a happy medium for pricing that will at least get me to have some conversations with potential buyers.

Mine has no box, no papers, aftermarket grips (and no originals), and has seen more than its' share of use - as evidenced by the finish.

So far, input in this thread for my pistol seems to have average value around $1,000-1,200. We all know that something is only worth what someone else is willing to pay, but the information thus far has been helpful.

Couple more pics for clarity and further input:

You can guess what color shirt my wife had on while taking the pics...
Link Posted: 9/14/2015 1:05:00 AM EDT
[#9]
I can't tell if you actually have finish loss, or just a bit of staining. A dull nickel finish can be brought back with a little flitz, but it it's actually flaking. There is nothing to save it. One question I'd have for Python experts. Did the nickeled gun have a nickeled hammer and trigger? My only experience with them is my 6" blued Python.

I've handled a few nickeled ones, but it's been years ago. I really don't remember.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:53:55 PM EDT
[#10]
As a shooter it will bring 1k all day if timing is ok. On a good day maybe 12 or 13 hundred.
Link Posted: 9/17/2015 5:56:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Serious question.  Why do Pythons command such high prices?  I'm a revolver noob.  I've shot one next to my 686's and didn't think they were better shooters.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:00:03 AM EDT
[#12]
It's because they are the finest American made revolver ever to be produced, and they don't make them anymore.
I have always been a fan of S&W. I've owned or shot just about every single revolver they have made in the last 100 years. Some of them like the flagship model 27 are some of the best S&W has ever made. You can shoot one smooth for 30 years, and while the action seems smoother than a baby's butt. It is not on the same level as a hand fit Python.

It's just a thing you don't know until you try one. People have no idea what they are missing.
Link Posted: 9/18/2015 2:53:41 AM EDT
[#13]

Quoted:

Serious question.  Why do Pythons command such high prices?  I'm a revolver noob.  I've shot one next to my 686's and didn't think they were better shooters.
View Quote

Done the same and I agree.

Link Posted: 9/24/2015 9:03:28 PM EDT
[#14]
It looks as though it's already been polished or refinished, the sharp edges are gone from the roll marks.
Link Posted: 10/19/2015 1:50:36 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:
It looks as though it's already been polished or refinished, the sharp edges are gone from the roll marks.
View Quote

I'd agree with the assessment that it's been refinished at some time in the past. The Rampant Colt stamp is almost completely polished away.
Page Handguns » Colt
Top Top