Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/5/2015 10:28:28 AM EDT

What does the #29 Mean?

</a>" /></a>" />I Found a Brand NEW NEVER Fired 1918 United States Property Serial No 5251XX Model of 1911 U.S. ARMY handgun. Mother of mint condition and if I told you what
I paid you will drop.. BUT all in all, Honesty is what got the price of $1500 for it. I will show pictures if anyone is interested.

For those people who seen it on the gunsamerica site and put and try to buy it now, here it is and its a beyond a beautiful 1911.

</a>" />1918 1911 This is my latest acquirement (No it's not re-blued. Already had it checked out by 3 1911 Collectors
</a>" />
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:06:12 AM EDT
[#1]
I'm jealous.

Pics aren't loading....
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:14:17 AM EDT
[#2]
F5 F5 F5

Yep pics arn't loading for me either.

ETA: It's beautiful.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 11:42:16 AM EDT
[#3]
Photos above

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 12:09:00 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this OP?

According to the description, the owner's dad had it in a collection and never fired it.  That doesn't mean it is unfired.  It could have been fired by the original owner, unless this guys dad was.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 6:31:08 PM EDT
[#5]
The original owner was the us gov. If the gun is as clean as in the picture above, much more info with multiple very detailed pictures are needed.
A black army era 1911 that clean would make me concerned about it being a refinish.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:13:06 PM EDT
[#6]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this OP?

http://www.gunsamerica.com/UserImages/365/946165843/wm_7694176.jpg

According to the description, the owner's dad had it in a collection and never fired it.  That doesn't mean it is unfired.  It could have been fired by the original owner, unless this guys dad was.
View Quote

Your correct about the black army era, that had me concerned also . I brought it to 3 1911 Hardcore collectors and the have several black army era and they all agree it has not been re blued. One said that with it being all correct and every part looks like it came out of the factory there is no reason to refinish unless it was reblued because the owner was bored and had to reblue something so he choose that 1911 to do it on which he doubts very much. the second collector offered me 6000 for it and he sais that if it was reblued he wouldn't offer 6 for it, he says not a reblue. Now the 3rd collector said no way, no way this is a reblue job , he took it apart and went over every part and analyzed it until he said he will give me 5000 for it. So I don't know what to think because 3 professional vintage 1911 gun collector would offer that cash if its been reblued. So what do you think. How would you analyze it?  Don't go by the pictures because that is what started me to think it'd might have been reblued. You have to have it in your hands. It's a beautiful thing.  guarantee it. If I can figure out how to post a pic I will.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:30:43 PM EDT
[#7]
With all due respect to the 3 1911 collectors, I am sending the firearm to Colt and they will analyze the 1911 for 150.00 bucks they are going to diagnose the 1911 and see if it's been reblued . If it has I will let the 3 1911 collectors know they were all wrong.. If it has not been reblued I will Pop open a bottle of a nice cold beer and down a shot of Jack with it...And say Ha Ha 1911 lovers I got one hell of a WW1 1918 piece of history...
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:45:41 PM EDT
[#8]
I never heard of shipping a gun to colt for analysis. If this is possible then great.
If several knowledgeable collectors examined and agree it is not a refinish this would be good enough for me.
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 7:48:19 PM EDT
[#9]
I thought that he was going to say that he found a singer or a union signal....

Oh well,

Red

Link Posted: 8/5/2015 8:58:42 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
I never heard of shipping a gun to colt for analysis. If this is possible then great.
If several knowledgeable collectors examined and agree it is not a refinish this would be good enough for me.
View Quote

You never heard of shipping a gun to Colt for analysis, well you have now. I'm not going to explain myself how that can happen, All I can say I employed at Mossberg, after working in the gun industry for 25+ years eventually you get meet and know people that can do that. But paying 150 bucks seems like a lot of cash to get it looked at and get confirmation is worth it for me. Some of my comrades agree with the 1911 trio but I really want to hear from the historian himself. No matter what if you held this in your hands you probably wouldn't care if it was reblued or not.....
Link Posted: 8/5/2015 9:33:18 PM EDT
[#11]
Wow that looks clean.

here's my Grandfather's WWI issued 1911

Link Posted: 8/7/2015 12:09:16 PM EDT
[#12]
I remembered to check back for pics!!!

Seeing gramps' gun was a bonus.

It's probably a good thing that I don't own one. I would not be able to leave it unfired.

Who am I kidding....it would be my EDC.
Link Posted: 8/7/2015 6:48:26 PM EDT
[#13]
That's one beautiful piece of history, OP!

Congrats on a once-in-a-lifetime find!

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 12:16:43 PM EDT
[#14]
Forget the analysis- it is original, verified now by several sources.

Spend the $ on a factory letter.

Sure is a very nice piece!

Link Posted: 8/8/2015 1:07:57 PM EDT
[#15]
Now that the pics showed up I can see the markings are all incredibly crisp what a beauty
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 1:37:04 PM EDT
[#16]
I dropped that in Viet Nam in 69, thanks. I'll im my address.
Link Posted: 8/8/2015 2:19:14 PM EDT
[#17]
Is the barrel hood in the white? If so, it's incorrect.

If it's original you have a nice one but a late 18 with a perfect finish is far more likely to be a refinish [even an excellent one] then the original due to the wartime need and reduced prep work.
Link Posted: 8/10/2015 12:51:27 AM EDT
[#18]
There is a couple beautiful 1911's in this thread.
Link Posted: 8/11/2015 4:52:07 PM EDT
[#19]
WOW  op.What a pistol ! If you get the letter please post it for us.
Link Posted: 8/12/2015 9:18:12 PM EDT
[#20]
Whatever the history that's a beautiful gun.
Link Posted: 8/15/2015 4:40:42 PM EDT
[#21]
Certainly looks to have been refinished especially given the time period.
Link Posted: 8/17/2015 10:34:23 AM EDT
[#22]

Quoted:

http://i864.photobucket.com/albums/ab207/pocketg/IMG_20150806_091046144_zpsmnbsfbip.jpg

What does the #29 Mean?
The 29 is the factory assemblers stamp.

View Quote

Link Posted: 8/20/2015 12:02:29 PM EDT
[#23]
That is one beautiful fire arm.  Even if it has been re-blued, it's still worth every bit of the $1500 you paid for it.  Nice job!
Link Posted: 6/20/2016 9:46:06 PM EDT
[#24]
any update?
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 10:43:28 AM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:
any update?
View Quote

In for update as well.
Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:02:55 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:
Wow that looks clean.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/1911pistols025.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/1911pistols025.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/1911pistols023.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/1911pistols023.jpg</a>
View Quote

My grandfather's WWI gun is here somewhere, wherever daddy put it, but my dad died in 2012 and my grandfather in 1991 at 101 years old. If it's in the same exact condition as it was last I saw it back in the late 1980s, ,it's still not nearly as nice as this one, and certainly not close to the one OP posted. There's been no refinishing or anything, all original , matching, but it was carried about every day at least since my granddad and his brothers bought the furniture stores in the early 1920s through the 1980s, he worked every day til he was 98. The finish is all but gone on it. I'm thinking it's up in the attic, but I have yet to get up there and scour the thing out. Supposed to be a couple of guns up there at least.

I would give a left, or a right nut for that matter for your gun or the OPs. Honestly, at my age , I don't NEED either one, so I'd give both for that. lol

Link Posted: 7/2/2016 12:26:38 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Wow that looks clean.

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/1911pistols025.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/1911pistols025.jpg</a>

<a href="http://smg.photobucket.com/user/derek45/media/1911/1911pistols023.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v488/derek45/1911/1911pistols023.jpg</a>
View Quote

Man that is awesome!  I would love to own something my grandfather was issued from WWll. He was my Hero!
Link Posted: 7/21/2016 3:37:48 AM EDT
[#28]
some of those screws don't match the overall condition of the gun...  however, every other mint condition pre lock S&W I see has buggered screws because some guy thought you had to completely disassemble the gun with his stanley screwdrivers because he shot a box of ammo through it.
Link Posted: 7/27/2016 5:48:22 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:

My grandfather's WWI gun is here somewhere, wherever daddy put it, but my dad died in 2012 and my grandfather in 1991 at 101 years old. If it's in the same exact condition as it was last I saw it back in the late 1980s, ,it's still not nearly as nice as this one, and certainly not close to the one OP posted. There's been no refinishing or anything, all original , matching, but it was carried about every day at least since my granddad and his brothers bought the furniture stores in the early 1920s through the 1980s, he worked every day til he was 98. The finish is all but gone on it. I'm thinking it's up in the attic, but I have yet to get up there and scour the thing out. Supposed to be a couple of guns up there at least.

I would give a left, or a right nut for that matter for your gun or the OPs. Honestly, at my age , I don't NEED either one, so I'd give both for that. lol

View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Wow that looks clean.

The suspense is killing me!  If I thought for a second that a family heirloom WWI 1911 was somewhere up in the attic, I'd be a no show in life until I came down with it!  Like pack a lunch, strap on a headlamp, and climb on up there in an instant!  

Derek45, that is a sweet pistol!  I'd tell you how lucky you are to have something like that passed down, but I'm sure I don't need to.

In for OP updates!
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:36:11 AM EDT
[#30]

Quoted:
You never heard of shipping a gun to Colt for analysis, well you have now. I'm not going to explain myself how that can happen, All I can say I employed at Mossberg, after working in the gun industry for 25+ years eventually you get meet and know people that can do that. But paying 150 bucks seems like a lot of cash to get it looked at and get confirmation is worth it for me. Some of my comrades agree with the 1911 trio but I really want to hear from the historian himself. No matter what if you held this in your hands you probably wouldn't care if it was reblued or not.....
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

You sound very immature, OP.

Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:41:36 AM EDT
[#31]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

My take also, he also hasn't taken it to anyone who knows them well also. Polishing direction is wrong on the frame and it's WAY to polished out to be original. It's a nice 1911 but unfired.........nahhhh.
Link Posted: 7/30/2016 11:53:22 AM EDT
[#32]

Quoted:

I remembered to check back for pics!!!

Seeing gramps' gun was a bonus.

It's probably a good thing that I don't own one. I would not be able to leave it unfired.

Who am I kidding....it would be my EDC.
View Quote

Preventing my EDC of mine was only solved by getting even more 1911's

Link Posted: 8/4/2016 4:37:27 PM EDT
[#33]
Quoted:

My take also, he also hasn't taken it to anyone who knows them well also. Polishing direction is wrong on the frame and it's WAY to polished out to be original. It's a nice 1911 but unfired.........nahhhh.
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Could be totally wrong here, but I'm gonna say it's been refinished. Something is definitely amiss with the machine marks.
Link Posted: 8/4/2016 6:01:38 PM EDT
[#34]
Very nice.  Thanks for sharing the photos.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 12:24:15 AM EDT
[#35]

Quoted:

View Quote

For my own curiosity,  which direction should the polishing marks run?

My series 70 has them running front to back,  like  on this gun.
Link Posted: 9/2/2016 7:08:31 AM EDT
[#36]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

On his pistol, the frame was finished front to back but the grip area under the trigger guard was finisned top to bottom so the polish marks are at a 90% angle. It is very distinct.

They quit doing that many many moons ago, your's would be polished front to back.
Link Posted: 9/5/2016 8:24:42 PM EDT
[#37]
A fine gentleman, that has since passed, by the name of Bill Adair came to mind when I saw the pics of this 1911. He did outstanding work on 1911's, I bet this one passed through his shop.
Link Posted: 9/11/2016 4:09:56 PM EDT
[#38]
Quoted:

View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:

Indeed.

A nice pistol for sure, but to further the immaturity level...why X Out the serial number in print only to show it via pictures?

Still a nice gun, just don't get the tone of the thread.

I'll keep watching though.
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 12:31:51 PM EDT
[#39]
And why does he write in such broken English?
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:06:30 PM EDT
[#40]
HA HA something smells fishy
Link Posted: 10/2/2016 7:15:50 PM EDT
[#41]
Nice.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top