Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 6/1/2015 7:55:55 PM EDT
Guys,

My 15-year-old son has suddenly become infatuated with the Colt Defender.

Wants to know everything about it, etc.

"Dad, post a question on AR15.com and ask around"

Ok, son.
Link Posted: 6/1/2015 8:32:44 PM EDT
[#1]
In before the usual statements which say short barreled pistols are unreliable.
I really like it, easily concealed, light weight, and I'm very accurate with it.
I've been carrying this for ten years and I trust my life to it.  It got the new finish two years ago, when you start checkering and doing other work on it, the thinness of coating needs to be redone, imho.

ETA

When I mentioned work done, the thumb safety was replaced with an Ed Brown, the original was 'scratchy' and the front strap on the grip was checkered, because I didn't care for the rubber wrap around grips.  The only other thing is an extended Ed Brown magazine release because I like them.

Link Posted: 6/2/2015 7:28:49 AM EDT
[#2]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
In before the usual statements which say short barreled pistols are unreliable.

I really like it, easily concealed, light weight, and I'm very accurate with it.

I've been carrying this for ten years and I trust my life to it.  It got the new finish two years ago, when you start checkering and doing other work on it, the thinness of coating needs to be redone, imho.

http://i182.photobucket.com/albums/x167/50-140/DSC00790_zps3b24f869.jpg

ETA

When I mentioned work done, the thumb safety was replaced with an Ed Brown, the original was 'scratchy' and the front strap on the grip was checkered, because I didn't care for the rubber wrap around grips.  The only other thing is an extended Ed Brown magazine release because I like them.

View Quote

Thank you.

Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:39:04 AM EDT
[#3]
I've shot the Defender in 9 and 45. Both shot fine, but I preferred the 9mm. So much so that I will be picking up a new one next week.

I work in a LGS. We have sold a few of these and have only seen one with issues. It needed the extractor tuned.
Link Posted: 6/4/2015 10:38:12 PM EDT
[#4]
Quoted:
Guys,

My 15-year-old son has suddenly become infatuated with the Colt Defender.

Wants to know everything about it, etc.

"Dad, post a question on AR15.com and ask around"

Ok, son.
View Quote

I have had mine since 1999, back when they first came out.  It's of the XS variety that predate the XSE models.  It has a different style grip safety and sights than the current production.  Mine has been 100% reliable since day one, with ball ammo, hollowpoints, reloads, etc.  It has never failed, period, and is a testament to what Colt can do.  It dispels the story that 3" 45 auto pistols are not reliable.  It isn't as accurate as my gov't model 1911s, but it is respectfully accurate.  Recoil is noticeably sharper than a fullsized, but with standard loads it is tolerable.
Link Posted: 6/7/2015 8:21:51 PM EDT
[#5]
As soon as my bank account recovers from buying the Government models I'm buying a Defender., Nice little pistols.
Link Posted: 6/14/2015 7:08:30 PM EDT
[#6]
Been carrying with one last few years, it goes on when get up and off when go to bed.

Have had it rusty and crusty but it always fires. Do better maintenance on it now though.

Light weight and very easy to live with, carry mine while working, fishing, yard work and etc.

When it was newer
Link Posted: 6/15/2015 7:47:55 PM EDT
[#7]
I purchased a new defender .45 in 2000. Loved it shot great to point of aim and never had a bit of trouble with it. Got bored and sold it when I was stupid. Wished that I had it back. Did feel like it torqued a bit when shooting 230 grain especially +P ammo.

Also had a para carry=POS.
Link Posted: 7/2/2015 11:49:15 AM EDT
[#8]
I had one and get rid of it..  It was unreliable about 10% of the time, even after sending It back, changing mags, Springs, etc.   Don't have any problems with full sizers and oddball caliber 1911's.  

Wish it would have worked for me, because it felt awesome
Link Posted: 7/4/2015 6:11:47 AM EDT
[#9]
I had one and it wasn't reliable.
On the good side ; It's conceable
On the bad side; Reliability is a 50/50 shot
                        Recoil springs on sub compact 1911's should be changed every 500 rounds. Good luck finding replacements. Colt is usually out of stock
                        45 hollowpoints may fail to expand coming out of a 3" barrel. 45 ammo is loaded around 800 to maybe 1200 fps. The 3" barrel doesn't give it that much runway to get the bullet up speed.

So with all this said, I bought a Colt stainless Commander as a back up to the Commander I usually carry. The gun is about perfect size wise to do alot of jobs.
Link Posted: 7/9/2015 11:49:37 AM EDT
[#10]
I have had one for a couple of years in 9mm. It's been flawless for me.

Mike
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top