Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 5/4/2015 1:47:42 PM EDT
My wife just inherited her grandfather's old duty colt detective spl.

Would it be able to handle +p ammo or stick with standard none +p?

I think its from the 40s or 50s
I ask because all  I use and have is +p.
What is a good standard pressure defense round?
Thanks
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 2:03:52 PM EDT
[#1]
The 3rd issue post 72 is rated for 3K+P.   Second issue with the shrouded ejector is rated for 1K, (it used to be 1.5K before Colt dropped it to 1K).
+P was not recommended for pre '72 with exposed ejector.
This isn't to say the use of +P will blow the gun up, but with regular usage it will accelerate wear on the handgun, particularly the top strap area.
ETA  I have the 3rd issue but I still use Hornady Custom 158 gr. Jacketed Hollow point XTP in mine.

Link Posted: 5/4/2015 3:30:06 PM EDT
[#2]
I would stick with non plus p for pretty much all shooting in all 38's except for some carry ammo. Pretty much nothing gained from using plus p regularly except increased recoil and wear and year on the gun
Link Posted: 5/4/2015 7:41:43 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for the info guys.

Ill use standard presser.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top