Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 9/24/2014 9:15:38 PM EDT
I'm planning on getting my conceal permit in the near future, and I'd like to get a new agent as my carry pistol. I love the regular government 1911, and I would use that as my carry if I could...but I know most people don't recommend it.

Anyway, the New Agent for me seems to be a good runner up.
I want the stock one with rosewood handles (not the laser grip).
I've heard that some have problems with the safety and guide rod.
Did Colt fix this problem? How do I know if I am getting one that was made after they addressed this?

I want a reliable pistol, and if that is something that happens somewhat often with these, I may have to second think.

Thanks guys!
Link Posted: 9/25/2014 8:06:31 AM EDT
[#1]
I've shot a new production colt defender in the past year and it shot great. I've shot it with its owner on two different range trips and have never seen or experienced any problems while we were shooting.   Whatever they did with the recoil spring and bull barrel weight makes the recoil very similar to a govt. sized gun.  I was impressed.

If I'm not mistaken the defender and new agent are very similar?
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 8:39:08 AM EDT
[#2]
There is nothing wrong with a full size or commander size 1911 for carry if a proper holster ( and can not stress this enough) proper gun belt. They are heavy but are fairly flat and easy to conceal. While I have not heard anything bad about the agent in particular it is a well known fact small 1911's are very difficult to build and have run well. Having said that if anyone can make a reliable small 1911 colt can. I carry a full size 1911 frequently and do not find it all that much harder to conceal than my glock 19 or even 26.
Link Posted: 9/29/2014 11:43:15 AM EDT
[#3]
I have been carrying a Kimber Ultra II Stainless model or an ATI Fatboy for my EDC for about 2 years or so and just this weekend picked up a used New Agent.  I really, really, really like the New Agent.  

After putting 200 rounds through the New Agent without lubing her(torture test kind of thing) as well as a couple hundred rounds through her after lubing, I can safely say the thing is a reliable little package.  Surprisingly/not surprisingly the fitting of the slide to frame is actually "quite" loose but this is probably an 08 gun so I think the craftsmanship at Colt was a little laxxed around then, the roll marks are somewhat rough as well.  That being said I could care less about an EDC piece that will probably get beat to piss any ways.  Out of all 3 pistols, my ATI actually is the tightest of the three as far as frame to slide fit goes, go figure.  The New Agent did come with Crimson Trace lazer grips but I ditched those in favor of some other thin grips I had already.  Everyone who shot my New Agent (5-6 people) did mention that the gun seemed to shoot a little lower than where you pointed but was still very Minute of Bad Guy.    We were all shooting from about 15-25 yards away from our targets.

The final surprise and probably the best of all was what I found out after putting it in my holster/carrying the thing around all day.  I barely realized the gun was there and it was not due to lack of weight(although I would have to say this is probably the lightest of the 3 micro 1911's I have).  For some reason my other two pistols would "jab" me in the side if I would lean too far over to the side that I carry my pistol on(around the 3 o' clock position), especially while sitting/driving in my truck.  This I now realize is because of the extended beaver tail grip safety's on them, with this Colt New Agent I initially carried the gun from 8 a.m.-10 p.m. and did not feel any sort of uncomfortably what so ever and more importantly, no more jabs to the side or trying to sit in a position so as to not put pressure on my carry side.  The lack of extended beaver tail safety on this Colt is making me rethink having extended beaver tail safety's on my other carry 1911's.

Overall I am super happy with the New Agent thus far and can only hope it will stay a nice and reliable gun, which with proper maintenance and care I have no doubt it will.

ETA:  I also agree with the above statement that you NEED a proper gun belt as well as a proper holster to carry.  I am using a Crossbread belt and holster, I say that not to advertise but to indicate that I know what a proper holster and belt are.  Pretty much don't get the cheapest Amazon special you can find.

Also there is nothing wrong with carrying a full size 1911 for all the reasons stated in the post above.  I have a friend who carries a full 5" Springfield IWB and has no problems what so ever.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:22:54 AM EDT
[#4]
What safety and guide rod problems are you talking about?

1911's are finicky to start with.  But Colt makes some of the most reliable in the business, especially in the 3" class.

They are constantly refining their product, but one gun will differ from the next and cause "problems".

Also you have a ratio of yahoos on the inter web of about 7/10 that don't know wtf they are talking about.  Don't repeat their ignorance or believe it.

Colt likely hasn't done anything to address it because it probably wasn't a problem.  But they do constantly improve the product and process to ensure higher reliability rates on guns released to distributors.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:46:27 AM EDT
[#5]
Quoted:
I'm planning on getting my conceal permit in the near future, and I'd like to get a new agent as my carry pistol. I love the regular government 1911, and I would use that as my carry if I could...but I know most people don't recommend it.

Did Colt fix this problem? How do I know if I am getting one that was made after they addressed this?

I want a reliable pistol, and if that is something that happens somewhat often with these, I may have to second think.

Thanks guys!
View Quote

I've carried a New Agent for several years with Wilson Combat magazines.  It eats anything I put in it.

Safety and guide rod pad problems were identified early and fixed under recall.  It afected ~3500 pistols (serial numbers 1001-4505).  MIne was one of them.  I doubt you'll have any problems with new production pistols.  The trench sight is a little quirky and takes some practice getting used to.  

I like the pistol.  Would I buy it again instead of the stainless Defender with traditional sights?  Ehhh... 50/50.
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:49:34 AM EDT
[#6]
the availability of the New Agent with Crimson trace grips versus the standard model will depend on what orders colt is fulfilling at the moment.   Very few things that colt makes are in production all year long.   Some items are made only a few times per year.   Then the guns have to work their way through distributors and then finally find their way to the dealer's shelves.   This results in an inconsistent supply on the market, which results in inconsistent pricing.   When a bunch of guns hits the market you can pay well under MSRP, but when they are not sending that particular model,mayor will pay more to find a specific model.

Both the new agent with laser grips and the new agent feature the tench with, which I feel is a fair trade off for concealability and snag free draw on a gun likely to be used in bat-swinging distances.   There was a talo edition (Talo is a large firearms distributor) that had colt make up a run of new agents with a standard top and dovetailed for XS big dot night sights and a Novak style rear sight.   Only the market will tell you what is available so check gunbroker, kygunco, fidelis firearms, central Florida pawn, etc ( all large sellers of colt at good prices).  

Lastly, there is also a 9mm new agent (I belive this is a Talo commissioned product as well).  Maybe this is the one you had heard had guide rod or whatever problems?   The 9mm would interest me personally.   It has another round of capacity and less recoil.

To answer someone else, the defender and new agent follow the same pattern.  Defender gets Novak style sights in a dovetail, new agent has trench sights (save for special runs).   Defender has stainless slide, new agent is carbon steel.   New agent had lightening cuts in front of slide to ease re-bholstering and decrease weight.   Defender is flat all the way to muszzle.   Defender has hogue rubber grips which feel awesome, but hang up on all clothes which is terrible for a deep CCW piece.  New agent has classic checkered wood grips or the Crimson trace lasers.  Defender trigger is three hole (Cosmetic) agent is solid.  Defender has giant grip safety.  Agent has government style.

Personally, the perfect new agent/defender for me would be one a new agent in 9mm with normal curved top slide, Novak sight cuts, and some minor front strap checkering. And some alumna grips.  Which is coincidentally very close to the layout of my S&W 3913.....
Link Posted: 9/30/2014 8:50:36 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

Good info thanks

I've carried a New Agent for several years with Wilson Combat magazines.  It eats anything I put in it.

Safety and guide rod pad problems were identified early and fixed under recall.  It afected ~3500 pistols (serial numbers 1001-4505).  MIne was one of them.  I doubt you'll have any problems with new production pistols.  The trench sight is a little quirky and takes some practice getting used to.  

I like the pistol.  Would I buy it again instead of the stainless Defender with traditional sights?  Ehhh... 50/50.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Quoted:

Thanks guys!

Good info thanks

Link Posted: 9/30/2014 12:00:31 PM EDT
[#9]
Yep, there definitly was a recall on all of the earlier models within the previously stated serial numbers.  

I too am using the thin aluma grips on my New Agent with grip tape on them and love them.  I did retry the lazer grips and although they are pretty nice, TO ME, it feels as though I can actualy feel the minute thickness of them vs the thin grips.

I don't intend to carry any of my micro 1911's with traditional sights for a while.  
Link Posted: 12/28/2014 9:28:34 PM EDT
[#10]
I've got one of the new agents, had the thin rosewood grips on it when I got it, and I've switched those out with a set of Kimber CT laser grips, no issues with the pistol, or the guide rod, or the safety.  I did swap out the Colt mags for Wilson 7 rounders.  Although it doesn't get carried as much as my full-size 1911's, I haven't had any issues with it.

You can conceal a full-size just as easily depending on your style of dress, holster selection, and environment, so don't let anyone tell you what you can and can't carry.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top