Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 8/12/2014 7:31:27 PM EDT
I had a chance to review the Colt M45A1 and I wanted to share it with you all. I have been absent from AR15.com for too long. Seems life gets in the way.
I am going to make a better effort to contribute and learn from the site.

http://rangehot.com/often-it-is-tough-to-know-you-had-it-right-until-you-get-it-not-right/
Link Posted: 8/16/2014 11:25:12 AM EDT
[#1]
Great review and photos.  Thank you for sharing.
Link Posted: 8/17/2014 12:25:12 AM EDT
[#2]
I enjoyed the read, especially the photos. Thanks
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:07:22 PM EDT
[#3]
Thanks for sharing!
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 2:08:30 PM EDT
[#4]
Is this the Colt 45 that's almost 3grand?
Link Posted: 8/18/2014 3:25:53 PM EDT
[#5]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Is this the Colt 45 that's almost 3grand?
View Quote

MSRP for the Custom Shop model is approx $2K. For the non-custom shop, $1600 guesstimate.

The USMC roll marked models, if you can find one now, will auction for that $3K price point or more.
Link Posted: 8/19/2014 8:37:40 AM EDT
[#6]
big question, did you get to keep it?
Link Posted: 9/13/2014 9:59:30 PM EDT
[#7]
I just got finished running 550 flawless rounds through mine over the past 2 weeks.  200 rds of federal american eagle 230 fmj., 200 rounds of sellier & bellot 230 fmj., and 150 rounds of 230gr. gold dot le.

I used factory colt 7rd. mags, cmc 8rd. powermags, and the 7rd. wilsons that came with the gun.  I'm really glad the gold dots worked out because they were expensive, they were also the dirtiest compared to the other ball loads I tried which surprised me.  The most accurate load was the gold dots followed by the s&b's which produced slightly tighter groups than the federal american eagles which also surprised me. I thought the czech ammo would be dirty and inconsistent, it was not, and I will buy more.  This newer lot of s&b has large pistol primers and no primer sealant and is $1 to $2 cheaper a box than the federals. The federal brass is nicer though.

The novaks with trijicon vials were regulated perfectly from the factory and didn't need any adjustments. The 25yd and 50 yd. groups were perfectly centered for POI/POA.  This gun does however require a true 6 o'clock hold.

I've been using clp for both lube and cleaner and seems to be fine. So far the cerakote is holding up nice, and that sums up my mini review.  I highly recommend this gun!
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 9:00:13 AM EDT
[#8]
Great write up. Can the dual recoil spring set up be added to the standard Colt Rail Gun?

I have read the weight of the CRG is 36oz. I guess that would be unloaded with no mag....Anyone know the fully loaded weight?
Link Posted: 9/20/2014 11:34:52 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Great write up. Can the dual recoil spring set up be added to the standard Colt Rail Gun?

I have read the weight of the CRG is 36oz. I guess that would be unloaded with no mag....Anyone know the fully loaded weight?
View Quote

I just hung mine off my timney trigger pull scale and I got 44 ounces fully loaded with the factory 7rd. magazine.  The trigger pull scale goes up to 15 lbs. so who knows what the +/- accuracy is.

I read that the double recoil spring cannot be fit to other 1911s's due to some small internal dimension differences between the m45a1 and a standard 1911. The guide rod is also smaller diameter to accept the smaller inner recoil spring coils.  One thing for certain is I cannot find a source for spare m45a1 double recoil springs as I like to change them out around 2,500 rounds on any gun I have.  What people often fail to realize is even dry-racking the slide counts as a spring compression cycle in a springs lifespan.
Link Posted: 11/6/2014 10:45:05 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:

<snip>
View Quote

Yes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=m1VMLKdIueE

(Tim Lau vid on this.)
Link Posted: 12/3/2014 4:57:58 PM EDT
[#11]
Just ordered my production line M45A1 from Clydes for just under $1600. Should be at my dealer by Friday. Can't wait.
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top