Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 7/20/2014 8:27:21 PM EDT
Hello I have a a chance to buy a lawman mkiii snubnose for 475... It's condition is 90 percent blue..
Is that a good price and are they reliable guns
thanks in advance
Link Posted: 7/20/2014 9:22:01 PM EDT
[#1]
Very good, very reliable and getting hard to find.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 8:15:00 AM EDT
[#2]
Under $500 for any of the modern Colts is pretty good these days as long as it is in good condition.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:03:51 PM EDT
[#3]
The Mark III series and later Colt revolvers are possibly the toughest DA revolvers ever made.
They were specifically designed for unlimited use of full charge Magnum ammo, and are known to be "tanks".
Quality of fit and finish was typical Colt top of the line.

Any trigger work is limited to installing a spring kit.  Due to the manufacturing process you CANNOT "polish" the internal parts, hammer or trigger.  Doing so will break through a very thin glass hard "crust" and expose soft inner metal.  This ruins the parts and you'll soon have an unsafe gun.
You cam buy spring kits direct from Wolff Gun Springs.  The kit has several weight main springs, and a lighter trigger spring.

The only "weakness" is that you need to use snap caps for dry firing to prevent any chance of a broken firing pin.
A broken firing pin on the later Colt DA revolvers REQUIRE a trip back to Colt for replacement using a special press machine.

One downside of the Mark III Lawman 2 inch is that holsters and after market grips will be difficult to find.
The Lawman Mark III with the 2 inch barrel used a special grip frame that uses grips that are not interchangeable with any other Colt model, they fit the 2 inch Lawman ONLY.
Since these were lower production models, few grip makers or holster makers ever offered grips or holsters to fit.
Link Posted: 7/21/2014 4:47:41 PM EDT
[#4]
Thanks guys I called the shop and they will hold it for me till WED. The condition is 90 percent  or better I just bought a nickel sw model 19 from the shop at the same price 2'1/2 inch barrel........... The wood grips are nice (colt) I would like to take them off and put a aftermarket set on it
Link Posted: 7/22/2014 12:28:23 AM EDT
[#5]
I second what Dfarishweel said.
I was lucky to find one with the original grips.
I had a hard time getting the Original Tyler T grip for it, tho they pop up on GB or ebay from time to time.
As far as Holsters go, I use a Galco pancake holster that I had for my S&W L frame snub.
In the winter time I use a shoulder rig, made for a S&W mod 66 snubbie. Both holster fits fine, ymmv.
I love mine btw, it's like a little hand canon when shooting with 357magnums, laughs at .38s (felt recoil is alot less) and it's built like a tank.

-

-

Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top