Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Page Handguns » Colt
Site Notices
Posted: 1/9/2014 3:12:28 PM EDT
Sent my Python back for a timing job. Bought it at a gun show and it won't shoot reliably in double action. I was told 4-6 months so heres to waiting! Im sure it'll be great when it gets back. Any stories of Colt fixing up your Python or other revolver?

edit: paid them Friday Jan 31st
edit: gun returned end of March. Havent had the chance to shoot it yet, but I can already feel how smooth the lock up is compared to before. I wanted to have the hammer replaced, as someone thought it was a good idea to bob it. But I could not source a new Python hammer. At least whoever bob'd it did a decent job as its very smooth and no discoloration where the spur should be.

Excuse the iPhone pics and my parents 30 year old couch

Link Posted: 1/13/2014 6:36:54 PM EDT
[#1]
If it's anything like 1911 work, expect it back in 18 months
Link Posted: 1/15/2014 7:57:25 PM EDT
[#2]
I don't shoot mine very much. Runs like a champ when I do. Fortunately have never had to send back to colt but def expect a wait. Keep us posted. Would love to see a pic.

Link Posted: 1/18/2014 5:31:02 PM EDT
[#3]
I purchased a pretty dinged up 4 inch nickel Python early last year.   Had some pretty deep pitting near the roll mark & was worried Colt wouldn't be able to do much with it.   Six months later I got back a firearm that looked like it just came off the production line - I was amazed.   The wait is worth it.  

BTW - Spend the extra $ and have them do a trigger tune while they have it.  I didn't think the stock Python double action could get any sweeter.  I was wrong.  
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 1:46:50 PM EDT
[#4]
updated OP
Link Posted: 4/5/2014 3:20:40 PM EDT
[#5]
I tagged this when you sent it off to see how long it would take to get back.  

I too have a Python, 6" stainless that the double action timing is in need of some work.

Could you give me an idea of what kind of cost Colt is now charging for that kind of work?
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 10:41:38 AM EDT
[#6]
That's almost impossible, since timing issues can range from just needing a simple adjustment to replacement of parts.
Naturally, a simple adjustment is going to cost a lot less than parts replacement.
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:28:38 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I tagged this when you sent it off to see how long it would take to get back.  

I too have a Python, 6" stainless that the double action timing is in need of some work.

Could you give me an idea of what kind of cost Colt is now charging for that kind of work?
View Quote

Around $100 including return shipping for me. I think it was 2 man hours of work quoted. I spoke to a lady on the phone prior to sending it in who was very friendly and helpful. Give 'em  a call.

edit: The return label had a hand written explanation of what was done, but I cant read the handwriting
Link Posted: 4/6/2014 5:38:51 PM EDT
[#8]
Thanks for the response, I'll be calling them Monday.  

Link Posted: 4/8/2014 11:44:33 AM EDT
[#9]

Quoted:

Thanks for the response, I'll be calling them Monday.

View Quote

I recently sent a python in to have timing and lock up work, I received the letter for repair and my cost was also about $100 fixed and shipped back to me. I am anxiously waiting for it's return.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 1:52:44 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
BTW - Spend the extra $ and have them do a trigger tune while they have it.  I didn't think the stock Python double action could get any sweeter.  I was wrong.  
View Quote
When I bought my Python 25 yeas ago, a Colt trigger job was $65+shipping.
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 5:26:30 PM EDT
[#11]
wait what....I need some work done a 1911 I need to call them if we are now measuring wait time in months not years
Link Posted: 4/11/2014 7:05:29 PM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

They have two options on trigger jobs from what I remember. And the basic is still around $65
Page Handguns » Colt
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top