Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 6/9/2009 4:33:28 PM EDT
I want to know about reliability, accuracy, DEPENDABILITY like your life depends on it, quality, built? Any solid information and personal experience you have had on your PPS. I love the feel and size of it, so I need to know what to look for. I have seen a few write ups but most of them have not been very positive, EI..Feeding, jamming, Major problems with the slide or anything else. Type of ammo you use, holster. etc....

Thanks in advance...
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 4:52:29 AM EDT
[#1]
Without writing a novel, mine has been totally reliable.  Never had any feeding issues or jamming.  There are reports of slide "lock" due to the slide release spring, but I have two PPS's (one for me and the wife) and neither has ever experienced a problem.  The only time it had trouble with feeding was my wife's gun and she admitted to limp wristing the gun after it happened.  Otherwise it has been fine for both of us.  

We shoot Blazer Brass, WWB for practice and carry/shoot Federal HST 124 grn +p.  As for holsters I have a Kramer and she has Fist pocket holster.
Link Posted: 6/10/2009 8:29:26 AM EDT
[#2]

http://ppstalk.com/forum/

Link Posted: 6/11/2009 12:19:14 PM EDT
[#3]
I had read some stories of initial problems (a few years ago).  This is my wife's carry gun, so I made sure there would be now problems.  I put 4 boxes of duty ammo (Speer Gold Dot .40 S&W 165 gr) through the gun.  Not a single hiccup, very accurate and my hand was just about numb after 200 rounds of the hard stuff.  Great gun, now the idiots that market it need to produce a holster!
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:32:03 PM EDT
[#4]
I'm considering one myself, and my concerns center around the high cost and poor availability of spare magazines.

For what this weapon costs it should ship with more than one mag.
Link Posted: 6/11/2009 2:43:11 PM EDT
[#5]
I got one of the "Special Edition" first thousand when they came out.  It has been a big success with probably 500+ rounds fired by now.  It was a package deal with a slick case and three magazines, one each of each capacity.

The issue of the pistol's flatness was a big seller for me.  I look at like the modern equivalent of the Colt 1908 "pocket hammerless" design, the ultimate in flat pistols IMO.

In retrospect I could probably do without the "carbon fiber" look of the pistol, but otherwise no complaints about the PPS.  It is accurate and dependable enough for concealed carry, and in my book that is the highest accolade I can give a firearm.

Edited to add: I have had a couple of failures to feed with Gold Dot 9mm ammunition, other than that it has been fine.  Several makers are now producing good holsters, although I found a Sparks Walther P99C holster fits nicely and use that.

I own several Walther products and find them to be consistently well designed and reliable.  

Link Posted: 6/16/2009 5:22:37 PM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
I'm considering one myself, and my concerns center around the high cost and poor availability of spare magazines.

The shop you're buying from may be ripping you off.  All the PPSs i've seen for sale have had 2 mags with them, a 6rnd and a 7rnd. and 2 mag guns aren't more expensive either.

anyhoo.  I love my wifes PPS so much i'm going to buy myself one.  It is a compact handgun that could perform as a figting handgun.  Great sights, great ergo, easy to use.  My wifes pistol has over 600 rnds through it, ball and various JHP, no failures, at all.  We even fired the first 300 rounds dry, out of the box and no problems whatsoever.  The trigger and slide operation does smooth up over time w/ usage by the way.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:16:00 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Quoted:

The shop you're buying from may be ripping you off.  All the PPSs i've seen for sale have had 2 mags with them, a 6rnd and a 7rnd. and 2 mag guns aren't more expensive either.

anyhoo.  I love my wifes PPS so much i'm going to buy myself one.  It is a compact handgun that could perform as a figting handgun.  Great sights, great ergo, easy to use.  My wifes pistol has over 600 rnds through it, ball and various JHP, no failures, at all.  We even fired the first 300 rounds dry, out of the box and no problems whatsoever.  The trigger and slide operation does smooth up over time w/ usage by the way.

+1

This sounds very much like my experience with the PPS.

My wife carries one and it's impressed me with it's accuracy and reliability.

We've put almost 800 rds of American Eagle, WWB and PMC hardball, Speer Gold Dot, Remington Golden Sabre and Federal Hydra Shok thru it without any failures.

The PPS handles very well and is easy to take down and clean.

It came with both a 6 and 7 rd magazine from Walther. Both are readily available.

(The 8 rd mag is difficult to find at the moment.)

Link Posted: 6/17/2009 12:43:29 PM EDT
[#8]
Depends on shop ... I won't say they are ripping you off, but new guns from Walther are shipping with only 1 mag.  I believe it is the 7 round mag, so you would have to buy any other combo's you want.  If you can find a used one, most people will include both mags they got with the gun, so you might find a little better deal in the used market.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 1:40:40 PM EDT
[#9]
Yes this it the problem.

S&W ships the PPS with one mag only.

Indefensible action IMHO for a weapon in this price class.
Link Posted: 6/17/2009 3:12:26 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Yes this it the problem.

H&K has been doing that as well.  I don't know if they do that on all of their pistols, but the last one I looked at a couple of months ago (brand new) only came with one mag.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 3:48:36 AM EDT
[#11]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes this it the problem.

H&K has been doing that as well.  I don't know if they do that on all of their pistols, but the last one I looked at a couple of months ago (brand new) only came with one mag.

Sorry to hear about S&W shipping only one mag. (as I mentioned above when I bought my PPS last fall it came with two but they'll obviously changed their policy).

Sig is also only shipping one mag with their pistols too.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:15:10 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
Quoted:
Quoted:
Yes this it the problem.

Sorry to hear about S&W shipping only one mag. (as I mentioned above when I bought my PPS last fall it came with two but they'll obviously changed their policy).

Sig is also only shipping one mag with their pistols too.

Many manufactuers are going the way of one mag.  They are realizing that they can get way more profit out of giving you one and forcing you to buy another if you want it.  No longer are people buying a gun because it comes with two mags.  It's no longer a selling point most of the time.  What I can't stand is that they make the mags so dang expensive.  I mean come on, $50 for a dang mag.  That's ridiculous.  I want a PPS, but it ticks me off that they only give you one mag and make the spare ones so expensive.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 10:40:38 AM EDT
[#13]

My new one = 1 6rd its a .40.

The  carring case foam was cut for two !  So  at recent funshow 2 more 6rd @ 42.00 ea and two 7rd from a on-line vendor = 125.00 shipped !

Not much a person can do. You could buy new/used and look for the best mag deal.

But.....I like my PPS !
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 1:56:23 PM EDT
[#14]
At least FN is still shipping the FNP series with three mags.

I wish they would do a pistol similar to the PPS.

I still may get the Walther though, it is a very nice piece.
Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:07:43 PM EDT
[#15]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Walther / S&W have been shipping with only one mag these days.  Bogus.

Link Posted: 6/18/2009 4:10:30 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

My new one = 1 6rd
its a .40.

The  carring case foam was cut for two !  So  at recent funshow 2 more 6rd @ 42.00 ea and two 7rd from a on-line vendor = 125.00 shipped !

Not much a person can do. You could buy new/used and look for the best mag deal.

But.....I like my PPS !

Look around, I found three 8rd mags in April from a fun shop.

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 4:47:38 AM EDT
[#17]
I got lucky and bought one when they first hit. Price was under 600 for  a first edition. Dealer wasn't sure what it was or how to price it. He does now!! Came with the 3 mags. The big one is a little too big in my opinion to carry. The 7 rounder is just perfect and I wouldn't mind having another

That sucks that they are only coming with one mag now at the higher price. I'll check around my area and see if there are any available and report back.

My 9mm has been solid thru 1200 rds and gets carried every day. Love it and would not hesitate to recommend it. The 40's seem to have some problems but I have no first hand experience with them.

Link Posted: 6/23/2009 4:53:45 AM EDT
[#18]
Got one, not one problem yet with about 400 rounds of various (whatever I can find) ammo through it.  Bought couple months ago, only came with one 7 round mag, bought another 7 round and a 8 round. I'm very happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 5:14:21 AM EDT
[#19]
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 5:15:28 AM EDT
[#20]
Got one, not one problem yet with about 400 rounds of various (whatever I can find) ammo through it.  Bought couple months ago, only came with one 7 round mag, bought another 7 round and a 8 round. I'm very happy with it so far.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 11:25:43 AM EDT
[#21]
Anyone have any idea why the PPS is so overlooked?

Seems everyone is on the g26, kahr p9 bandwagon. The PPS is basically a glock inside with some detail changes.

For some reason the PPS and the FNP 9 don't get any respect even though they both have proven to be great pieces.

Strange how people get hung up on certain makes to the detriment of all others. I mean, I have a G19 and it's a good gun (nothing to write home about in my opinion) but I prefer to carry the PPS.

So why so little love for the PPS?
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 2:03:21 PM EDT
[#22]
I thnk you answered your own question.

The Glock1911HKJohnMosesBrowning Kool Aide drinkers will consider nothing but their drug of choice.

To their detriment.  We live in a golden age of firearms.  So many truely excellent choices.  Why limit yourself?

My FNP series pistols have proven to be excellent.

I suspect the PPS will too.
Link Posted: 6/23/2009 4:59:37 PM EDT
[#23]
A member of this site let me use his PPS 9mm in a BUG (Back-Up-Gun) side match at a recent IDPA shoot.  That was the first time I had ever held a PPS let alone fired one.  Shooting in low light on stages that required strong-hand only as well as some that required head shots I managed to come in 3rd overall and win my division.  

Sure, there was a little skill involved but, I don't think I would have been able to pull it off with just any backup gun.  I found the PPS to be intuitive, accurate, soft-recoiling, very slim (obviously) and it pointed well.  I also found it to be easy to operate for such a small gun.  The only thing I would've changed would be the mag release lever, I like the traditional button a lot better.

This was a very limited experience with the gun but, it really impressed me.  I've been considering getting one as a backup gun.  That's where the downside of price and spare magazines comes in but, that's already been mentioned.
Link Posted: 7/11/2009 4:07:02 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
A member of this site let me use his PPS 9mm in a BUG (Back-Up-Gun) side match at a recent IDPA shoot.  That was the first time I had ever held a PPS let alone fired one.  Shooting in low light on stages that required strong-hand only as well as some that required head shots I managed to come in 3rd overall and win my division.  

Sure, there was a little skill involved but, I don't think I would have been able to pull it off with just any backup gun.  I found the PPS to be intuitive, accurate, soft-recoiling, very slim (obviously) and it pointed well.  I also found it to be easy to operate for such a small gun.  The only thing I would've changed would be the mag release lever, I like the traditional button a lot better.

This was a very limited experience with the gun but, it really impressed me.  I've been considering getting one as a backup gun.  That's where the downside of price and spare magazines comes in but, that's already been mentioned.

I have also found the mag release cumbersome, but after a few trips around the block, I have no trouble with it. The PPS hides under my tee shirt better than my XD9
Link Posted: 7/23/2009 12:34:32 PM EDT
[#25]
How is the trigger pull on these? Can you compare it to anything? I have a HK P7 I was thinking about trading for one.
Link Posted: 7/24/2009 2:44:20 PM EDT
[#26]
Mine is my CCW gun and I love it due to its slim, lightweight nature. So far it has been very reliable, accurate, and I have not had any jams. My only complaints are as follows:

1 - The magazine release is very awkward versus your typical thumb button type release. You get used to it after a while, but its just not as intuitive as a grip located thumb operated release especially if you also shoot another gun with a thumb release located on the grip.  
2 - Due to its slender, diminutive size, the slide release mechanism sits fairly low (at least in my hands) and unless I am very cognizant of this my thumbs can sometimes apply pressure to the mechanism prohibiting the slide from locking open after the final round is fired. The solution is fairly simple, just don't let your thumbs ride up too high.
3 - availability and price for spare mags and mag extenders. Mine came with two mags, but only one with a mag extender which is almost, IMO, a necessity if you are a man with man-sized hands.
4 - availability of holsters, especially IWB types is a limiting factor

While I really like this firearm, I love my 1911 just way too much and I'm thinking of giving my Walther to my wife and purchasing a compact 1911 for CCW. This decision isn't driven by what I feel are the weak points of the PPS 9 mm, but mostly due to the fact that I find myself predominantly shooting my full sized 1911 and wanting a CCW firearm with the same features so my brain under duress if I ever had to draw my CCW weapon doesn't have to change gears.

Hope that feedback helps!

Link Posted: 7/24/2009 5:52:19 PM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:

Ya I loan him a gun and he kicks my but with it.
Link Posted: 8/14/2009 7:09:47 PM EDT
[#28]
I CCW this gun in 9mm in a Crossbreed holster.  I have had not problems with it AFTER I broke it in.  During the first 1-200 rounds I had a few slide locking problems but it has not happened since.  I have around 2000+ rounds through it and have had no further problems with it and would trust my life to it.  As mentioned before in other posts I feel that finding mags for it to be a hassle but that is really my only complaint.  I clean it often but there have been times where I went 400 rounds or so ( not much I know)  without cleaning it between trips to the range and had no issues.  It is slender and is comfortable to shoot both for me and my wife.  It is easily our favorite gun.
Top Top