Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 1/11/2002 9:05:30 PM EDT
I just recently purchased my first Walther...  a .380 (9mm Kurz) PPK/S which was made in Ulm, Germany and of a 1978 vintage.  Any other PP owners?  What ya think of the pistol.  I thought because of my slim bod...  that a PPK would make for a nice carry.  I've heard that they're supposed to be particular with respect to what ammo they eat best.  Any truth to this or, just another urban legend?
W
Link Posted: 1/11/2002 11:39:04 PM EDT
[#1]
I have owned a PPK/S for five years and only shot Blazer ammo for practice.  I use it for carry also since I live in South Texas and my G19 would look like a tumor under my shirt.  Many reviews have rated the Walther to be the best of the .380's.  Only a few jams with the Blazer ammo, but Blazer is cheap.  Just be careful about letting your hand not get too high of a grip.  The slide will cut you if you are not careful.  I also use the mags with the extended pinky attachment.  It is a great gun for a pea shooter.
Link Posted: 1/14/2002 7:43:44 AM EDT
[#2]
66...  Thanks for your reply and tips.
W
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 5:52:40 AM EDT
[#3]

Quoted:
I've heard that they're supposed to be particular with respect to what ammo they eat best.  Any truth to this or, just another urban legend?

Not legend, it's true. However I've heard it was mostly with the US made guns rather than the older German made ones so you should have no problems. If you don't mind me asking, how much did the gun cost you? I never get to see a used Walther that someone didn't want $50 less than a NIB price for. >gg<
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 11:03:13 AM EDT
[#4]
Well...  it was expensive.  Condition is 98% new, came with a soft holster, 2 mags that have the little finger tab at the bottom of each and the original import box.  Price was $650.00, but I had a NIB Ruger Mini 30 with 1 five and 2 ten round mags plus 100+ rounds of ammo that the fellow took in partial trade.  To that, I added $200.00 cash.  I feel that it was an okay deal, I'm happy, and I checked to see what Earl's (he's the U.S. Walther guy) Gun Repair was asking for his PPK's.  The price was actually a little under what Earl's gets for theirs.  At present, Ammoman has 2 .380 PPK's of the U.S. stainless steel variety for sale at $489.00 each...  and I wouldn't want one of those even if it was given to me i.e. they've had just too many problems.  Hope this helps.
W
Link Posted: 1/15/2002 12:34:58 PM EDT
[#5]
   I bought a 'merican' PPK/S. I thought it had a crappy DAO trigger,sold it. I sold a Sig-220 .45 cal. five years ago for the same reason. I've heard the West German models were smoother, and made better. I have a weak trigger finger and thumb on my strong side due to an AK round shattering my right elbow. I carry a G-19, and don't have the same problem, and love it. I have carried my Glock everyday since 9/11. and can swap out the factory 5 lb pull, for a 3.5 connector if I feel like it. Sounds like you got yourself a nice carry piece. Good Luck!
                  Gib
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top