Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/12/2016 2:06:04 PM EDT
....Anything I need to know?  Mostly wanting to hear from those that carry this daily.

I've been eye balling these things now for the better part of three years.  I have 4 spare magazines on the way, a set of Dawson F/O sights, and thats about it.

Will need a holster at some point, but I'm going to put this thing through its paces first and make sure I love it before I go full bore into it.  I purchased this gun with the intent of it being a "full size" off duty firearm, but also with the potential of it becoming my duty gun, since luckily safariland makes the holster I prefer for it.

What holsters have you found that you like for it, for IWB and OWB carry?  

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:36:02 PM EDT
[#1]
I don't carry mine, I have a PPS for that.
Here is my PPQ M1 in a Safariland holster.

Link Posted: 4/12/2016 6:54:43 PM EDT
[#2]
Very nice, didn't know they made one of those for the PPQ.  Can you tell me the model number please?

Thanks!
Link Posted: 4/12/2016 9:16:26 PM EDT
[#3]
It isn't anything fancy, it was $37 on Amazon.
"Safariland S and W99, Walther P99, P99C QA 6378 ALS Concealment Paddle Holster (STX Black Finish"

It also fits my PPQ M2-22, so it should fit a 9mm M2.
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 12:04:06 AM EDT
[#4]
StealthGear Onyx holster is the finest IWB I've ever used.  Also using TFX Pro sights and a steel guide rod from BTguiderods.

Link Posted: 4/13/2016 11:06:45 AM EDT
[#5]
Safariland 7379

I really want to find a Desantis Viper
Link Posted: 4/13/2016 1:53:12 PM EDT
[#6]
I carry my P229 in an MTAC.  Tried the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3 for the PPQ.  Don't try it.  Get an MTAC or Crossbreed.  

Not great pix, but:

As you can see, I like rubberized feel on my grips.  So I put the rubberized Talons on the PPQ.  Since these pics, I've added the Mepro night sights.

Please do me (and maybe yourself) a favor when you get your new PPQ.  Remove the striker (it's pretty easy to do...push a little button, slide the rear cover down, remove striker) and let me know if there's any factory oil/grease on it.  I bought one used (literally, the guy only had it 4 days) and just recently had consistent failure to fire/light primer strikes on a cold range visit.  Before this, it had started to be carried more than the P229.  Stripped it down and found some lube in the striker works.  40 degrees was cold enough to keep the striker from, well...striking...hard enough.  Wiped it down at the range and it started working.  Thorough cleaning at home and afterwards it launched a pencil to the ceiling.  As specific as Walther is about where and how much to lube, I doubt it was factory lube.  At the same time, I know the original owner used Frog Lube (took me a while to get rid of the smell from the rest of the pistol), and the lube from the striker/channel didn't smell like mint.  I know better than to lube the firing pin, and I really doubt the two dabs of grease on the frame rails I use magically migrated into the striker.

TLDR:  please check the striker and let me know if there's any factory lube.  If you find any, do yourself a favor and clean it out!
Link Posted: 4/14/2016 4:24:55 PM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I carry my P229 in an MTAC.  Tried the Alien Gear Cloak Tuck 3 for the PPQ.  Don't try it.  Get an MTAC or Crossbreed.  

Not great pix, but:
https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-AwMxfXdMmpI/VefOgPqoWMI/AAAAAAAAECo/DA-aamRBxBk5vCcj51F4vH_ij1qHujGbwCCo/s800-Ic42/IMG_0176.JPG

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/-_Rhht8UbZNk/VefOgzQsEnI/AAAAAAAAECs/072eYUiPujc9VdqtbrSxYkIGpdVSge7dACCo/s800-Ic42/IMG_0185.JPG

As you can see, I like rubberized feel on my grips.  So I put the rubberized Talons on the PPQ.  Since these pics, I've added the Mepro night sights.

Please do me (and maybe yourself) a favor when you get your new PPQ.  Remove the striker (it's pretty easy to do...push a little button, slide the rear cover down, remove striker) and let me know if there's any factory oil/grease on it.  I bought one used (literally, the guy only had it 4 days) and just recently had consistent failure to fire/light primer strikes on a cold range visit.  Before this, it had started to be carried more than the P229.  Stripped it down and found some lube in the striker works.  40 degrees was cold enough to keep the striker from, well...striking...hard enough.  Wiped it down at the range and it started working.  Thorough cleaning at home and afterwards it launched a pencil to the ceiling.  As specific as Walther is about where and how much to lube, I doubt it was factory lube.  At the same time, I know the original owner used Frog Lube (took me a while to get rid of the smell from the rest of the pistol), and the lube from the striker/channel didn't smell like mint.  I know better than to lube the firing pin, and I really doubt the two dabs of grease on the frame rails I use magically migrated into the striker.

TLDR:  please check the striker and let me know if there's any factory lube.  If you find any, do yourself a favor and clean it out!
View Quote

Looks like I will be picking it up tomorrow, I will let you know.

Thanks for the tips on the holsters.
Link Posted: 4/18/2016 10:02:37 PM EDT
[#8]
I have a JM Custom Kydex Appendeix IWB holster for it. Appendix carry is not for  everyone but if you want to try it that's the holster to get. That or the George if you are a slim individual.

That said I never carry my PPQ. I mostly carry my Shield but now that I have a PPS M2 I'll carry that when I get a JM Kydex holster for it. He's currently a 9-10 week wait though.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top