Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 4/14/2015 7:08:30 AM EDT
I found a revolver I'm interested in but the lock deters me from using as anything but a range toy
Link Posted: 5/16/2015 1:09:44 AM EDT
[#1]
I also like to know.
Link Posted: 6/6/2015 10:37:47 PM EDT
[#2]
I have the lock on a Rossi Plinker.  It's a different beast than the lock on the S&W revolvers I've had in the past, and I don't see how it's possible that it could engage under recoil like the S&W lock.  Being located on the back of the hammer, recoil forces are acting in a different direction than the rotation of the lock, unlike S&W.  Not saying it hasn't happened, but no amount of googling turns up any mention of a Taurus lock malfunctioning, and it's easy to find mentions of S&W lock issues.

If it really bothers you, I'd imagine you could just stake/peen the edge of the lock into the hammer and render it unable to turn.  Buy a cheap punch at a hardware store, and you're done in one swing of a hammer.  There's a post on THR (warning:obnoxious ads) that says you can remove the hammer and drive out a small pin to remove the lock... but then you have a huge gaping entry point for crud that you need to deal with.

Personally, I'd leave it as is.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:11:10 PM EDT
[#3]
I have one on my Taurus ultra lite and I would not want to mess with it. Some lawyers could have their way with you in court for changing the original design and with the regime we have now, they would not hold back. I don't agree with it, but at the same time we are screwed.
Link Posted: 6/8/2015 10:18:47 PM EDT
[#4]
I also have a Rossi Plinker with the lock. Don't think I've ever used the lock, and never had it engage on me by accident.
Link Posted: 6/24/2015 12:03:34 AM EDT
[#5]
havent heard of any problems with the Taurus internal locks.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top