Warning

Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Posted: 11/11/2013 7:08:14 PM EDT
I'm looking to buy a reasonably priced reliable 4 inch 22LR revolver.

As I have a bunch of low power 22 ammo that I would like to shoot up.

I've heard nothing but bad things about the Taurus revolvers.

However, they seem to be about the only thing available in my area.

Will I be sorry if I buy one?
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:09:11 PM EDT
[#1]
Ive always had good luck with Taurus. Most people I know that have had issues with them Taurus fixed the problem. A lot of people get pissed because there is no aftermarket for their parts and most parts they don't sell, you have to return it to them for service, so a lot of home gunsmiths could fix most of the little issues but they cant get the parts. One of the best .22 revolvers I have ever owned is a Taurus model 96 (which they don't make any more) it was a K frame size, just like the Smith K22 and they would shoot right with any K22!
Link Posted: 11/12/2013 5:49:23 PM EDT
[#2]
I picked up a Ruger SP101 22lr. and it has been flawless.
Link Posted: 11/14/2013 12:28:30 AM EDT
[#3]
You could do worse than picking up a 4" model 94, they aren't horrible little guns. The best advice I could give using one would be to handle the cylinder & crane carefully, no flipping it shut Hollywierd style. The timing and cylinder pin on these guns can be a little fragile, but if cared for properly, they will perform just fine.

Bear in mind that being a .22 rimfire, there isn't a lot of help for the DA pull, lightening springs will almost certainly cause light strikes, but the SA pull is excellent if left alone.

There are better .22 revolvers out there, but Taurus rimfire revolvers sometimes get a worse rap than they really deserve, especially the older models.

My .02, FWIW, YMMV.
Link Posted: 11/15/2013 1:05:22 AM EDT
[#4]
I've got a 5" 94 Stainless that has worked up burrs on the cylinder at every notch on the side for the hand.  They were just barely noticeable when I bought the gun, but about 1500 rounds later, they built up enough so that trying to fire DA won't lower the hand enough to clear them.  SA still works fine.  When I get back home, I'm going to take it to a smith that has a barrel spinner and have him touch the cylinder to it for a bit to smooth it out.  Besides that, mine has been awesome, and it really helped my trigger control with its almost 20 pound double action trigger!
Link Posted: 11/19/2013 1:07:27 PM EDT
[#5]
Thanks all for the few responses... I think that I'm going to pass on the Taurus.
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 11:13:16 AM EDT
[#6]
I went with a LCR,for the same purpose.
Good snub practice too.
I had a Taurus 94,4" that i got for my daughter to shoot.
It left the factory with no forcing cone.
Never had a lead spitter like that one.
Sent it back, they fixed it, and when it came back
i traded it off. YMMV
Link Posted: 3/20/2015 12:17:51 PM EDT
[#7]
I have shot a friends Ruger LCR .
I am a died in the wool S&W snob who has a great dislike for any revolver without a very good trigger as I feel that is the key to good shooting.

The LCR was very nice. They are at the top or a bit more than the OPs expected price range but way cheaper than the S&W guns.

The Ruger single action guns are very good but I get tired of the loading /unloading drill of a single action . If you can live with that they are reasonable on the used market . For a LCR you pretty much have to buy new , never have I seen a used 22.

I am thinking the OP neckbearded himself a bunch of Remington Golden
Another good option is a lever action .22 rifle like a Marlin 39 or a Henry.

Also-to answer the original question- Yes the most likely result of buying a Taurus revolver is regret . Some claim to like them but what I have seen shows many of them are a mess that you will wish you never bought
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top