Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 3/4/2013 10:05:49 PM EDT
Is it the same quality as Beretta for $150 less?
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:12:15 PM EDT
[#1]
Never seen one with a problem and the safety goes the right way.

Though, that being said, with only a $150 price gap, I'd more than likely get the Beretta especially if I was going to be relying on the gun for SD, high round counts, or a better customer service experience.  $200 gap or more I'd get the Taurus, or if it's going to just be a gun to fool around with/ range toy.

Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:31:17 PM EDT
[#2]
Quoted:
Never seen one with a problem and the safety goes the right way.

Though, that being said, with only a $150 price gap, I'd more than likely get the Beretta especially if I was going to be relying on the gun for SD, high round counts, or a better customer service experience.  $200 gap or more I'd get the Taurus, or if it's going to just be a gun to fool around with/ range toy.

It would be for concealed carry.

I have a 92A1 and like it.  Want to get a 96A1 for carry, but if I could save 150 with a Taurus...but not at the expense of it not going bang when I need it to.
Link Posted: 3/4/2013 10:47:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Probably the BEST gun Taurus ever made.  I have one that I bought in the late 80's.  PT-99.  Still going strong.  Rear sight hasn't fell off yet like I have heard some have had issues with.
Link Posted: 3/8/2013 2:24:10 PM EDT
[#4]
Beretta set up a plant in Brazil for a military contract.  After the contract was complete, Beretta sold the plant and tooling to Taurus.  GTG... only problem is minor parts compatibility issues.
Link Posted: 3/9/2013 8:47:48 PM EDT
[#5]
You know you can't share mags with your beretta, right. You can modify beretta mags to fit though, not sure if they'll still work in your beretta.
The PT92 is the only Taurus I like. VERY smooth weapon. I buy old used ones every time I find them cheap.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 1:25:45 PM EDT
[#6]
Taurus makes a good gun.  Go to the Gun Store pick up a Taurus and a Beretta and pull back the slide and run the trigger.

See if there is a difference and report back.

In my experience the Beretta is much smoother in both areas.
Link Posted: 3/24/2013 1:37:07 PM EDT
[#7]
Older Taurus models are quality, made on the old Beretta machinery.

Modern Taurus 92s? Too much plastic for my liking.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:01:30 PM EDT
[#8]
I prefer the Beretta just becuase I've got more time on it (decades)  However just inherited a PT92SS.  No issues with the gun and shoots just like the Beretta.  Mags do not interchange but the cheaper/easier to find Berettas can be modified to work in the Taurus but won't work back.  Barrels/locking locks are the same (I've swapped them out)  If you already have a Beretta 92 and are going to use both as carry guns I'll suggest not getting the Taurus.  Reasoning is two different safeties and mags to get confusing.  Holsters are interchangable also.

CD
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:28:18 PM EDT
[#9]
The mag catch is ambi. You could, in theory, modify one side of the mag, and make one pistol's mag release face the other way.

Totally screws with your muscle memory, but no matter what mag you grab, it'll fit.

Also, The barrels are interchangeable, but the cam/locks aren't alwayts the same. The pin under the barrel is fatter in one, than the other. At least it was in my early 92AF. Block broke, had to replace it with a Beretta block, but the taurus pin was too fat. I can take some pics if it'll help.
Link Posted: 3/28/2013 6:44:15 PM EDT
[#10]
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:50:34 PM EDT
[#11]
I have a Taurus 92, love it.

I've wondered about Beretta mags fitting it though.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 12:58:28 PM EDT
[#12]
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:40:38 PM EDT
[#13]
Quoted:

Quoted:
I have a Taurus 92, love it.

I've wondered about Beretta mags fitting it though.

Not without modification, the mag catches are different.

(Not sure if they can be modded to work, I've never tried -- always had plenty of mags for both and kept them separate.)

Beretta can be modded for in Taurus. Typically, Taurus cannot be modded to work in Beretta.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:42:48 PM EDT
[#14]

Quoted:

Beretta set up a plant in Brazil for a military contract.  After the contract was complete, Beretta sold the plant and tooling to Taurus.  GTG... only problem is minor parts compatibility issues.

Jesus fucking christ, this is still going around the gun stores and internet? Who told you that, clerk at Bass Pro?

They are NOT made off Beretta tooling
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:49:43 PM EDT
[#15]
Quoted:

Quoted:

Jesus fucking christ, this is still going around the gun stores and internet? Who told you that, clerk at Bass Pro?  

Then go correct the Wikipedia entry...

In 1980, after Italian arms manufacturer Beretta had completed its contracts to produce firearms for Brazil's military, Taurus purchased Beretta's São Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:51:19 PM EDT
[#16]

Quoted:

Quoted:

Quoted:

In 1980, after Italian arms manufacturer Beretta had completed its contracts to produce firearms for Brazil's military, Taurus purchased Beretta's São Paulo manufacturing plant along with the tooling, technical drawings, and work force necessary to produce several different pistol designs.

Using wikipedia as a de-facto source/refrence
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 1:57:28 PM EDT
[#17]
Quoted:

Where's your irrefutable proof that this story is untrue?

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 2:04:26 PM EDT
[#18]
I just traded into and then out of a late 80's PT99. (PT92 with adjustable rear sight). I only had it for about a week and never fired it, but damn that thing felt REALLY solid and smooth when cycling the slide, using the safety, etc. Seemed like a really good gun.

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 2:11:53 PM EDT
[#19]

Quoted:

Quoted:

No need, wouldn't matter because I didn't realize I was in the Taurus forums. Cant insult y'alls cheap shit guns that are "just the same"

I'm out

Link Posted: 4/5/2013 2:20:22 PM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

No need, wouldn't matter because I didn't realize I was in the Taurus forums. Cant insult y'alls cheap shit guns that are "just the same"

I'm out

Very simple question. I'm asking facts to back up your claim. I mean, for such a widely known myth (as you claim) It should be easy to produce some proof, right?

Don't get me wrong, I think modern Taurus offerings are a crapshoot at best. Older models were made much better though...less plastic, more attention to finish, fit, etc.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 6:30:45 PM EDT
[#21]
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:00:58 PM EDT
[#22]
I had one and loved it.  Sold it because I went Glock 19.  The Taurus was excellent.  It was an older pistol made in 1991 and put about 8,000 rounds or so through it.  Only problem I had was the extractor pin on the top of the frame broke.  Taurus fixed it.  I really liked the sites and location of the safety.  I liked the sites on mine more than my friend's 92FS.  My PT-92 seems to shoot better.
Link Posted: 4/5/2013 8:32:33 PM EDT
[#23]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out

You guys just got schooled!  Or not.  
Link Posted: 4/6/2013 10:43:15 AM EDT
[#24]
Some people kill me! LOL Taurus is a good medium quality firearm, better then some, not as good as others! The fit and finish is not up to par with Beretta, Smith and some of the other top of the line firearms. High quality top of the line firearms require a lot of hand fitting and finishing and top of the line firearms are all hand tested before they leave the factory. All the hands on attention with high dollar firearms cost money, and as the consumer you pay for that attention to detail. Taurus is mass produced and only some of them are hand tested and inspected. Even companies like Remington produce a lot of fireamrs in this way, thats how stores like Wal Mart and Dicks can sell 870's and 700's cheaper then your local gun shop can buy them wholesale, they buy them by the truck load and they are mass produced in large lots with very few of them ever being tested or inspected. Gunsmiths have made a small fortune over the years cleaning up burs and making these mass produced Remingtons work the right way.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:08:54 PM EDT
[#25]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out

From the History page of the Taurususa.com website:

Beretta had won a huge contract in 1974 to produce small arms for the army of Brazil. Part of the deal was that Beretta construct a Brazilian factory and use Brazilian labor. This they did, in the southwestern coastal city of Sao Paulo. When the contract ran out in 1980, Beretta sold the plant, literally "lock, stock and barrel," to Taurus. Taurus now owned everything that once belonged to Beretta, including drawings, tooling, machinery, and a very experienced work force. Taurus was in the pistol business, and immediately sought to improve on the Beretta design, resulting in the popular and acclaimed Taurus PT-92 and PT-99 9mm pistols.

http://www.taurususa.com/history.cfm Fifth paragraph from the bottom.
Link Posted: 4/26/2013 11:37:21 PM EDT
[#26]
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out

I won't speak to the quality of Taurus, but it's common knowledge the PT92 got it's start after Beretta sold the plant to a Brazilian firm.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:22:40 AM EDT
[#27]
Quoted:
Older Taurus models are quality, made on the old Beretta machinery.

Modern Taurus 92s? Too much plastic for my liking.

probably less plastic than modern Berettas.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 8:30:09 AM EDT
[#28]
Heavy triggers, slightly rough interior finish and weird smell.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 11:59:42 AM EDT
[#29]
Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

I'm out

I won't speak to the quality of Taurus, but it's common knowledge the PT92 got it's start after Beretta sold the plant to a Brazilian firm.

Oh please.  Next thing you guys will tell me is that the Turkish, South African, or French Militaries bought the rights and machinery to make the Beretta 92 also, and then sold it as their own model on the civilian market through their local civilian arms distributors.....

Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:16:24 PM EDT
[#30]
History of Taurus

Beretta had won a huge contract in 1974 to produce small arms for the army of Brazil. Part of the deal was that Beretta construct a Brazilian factory and use Brazilian labor. This they did, in the southwestern coastal city of Sao Paulo. When the contract ran out in 1980, Beretta sold the plant, literally "lock, stock and barrel," to Taurus. Taurus now owned everything that once belonged to Beretta, including drawings, tooling, machinery, and a very experienced work force. Taurus was in the pistol business, and immediately sought to improve on the Beretta design, resulting in the popular and acclaimed Taurus PT-92 and PT-99 9mm pistols.
Link Posted: 5/4/2013 12:56:53 PM EDT
[#31]
I have a Taurus PT92AF I got back in the mid 80's. It has about 25K rounds that have been pumped through it without any issues and it shows very little wear. I am also retired military and I have not trusted the M9 since I saw a side rupture on a Beretta that had less than 10K rounds on it.

When I went to buy the Taurus back in the 80's a trusted gunsmith told me to go with the Taurus as it was made of better alloys. I never verified his words but I have seen "well used" Berettas and they don't seem to hold up as well as my Taurus. Given a choice I would go with the Taurus every time over a Beretta.

Link Posted: 5/12/2013 2:24:03 PM EDT
[#32]
Ati 92 uses b92 mags unlike the taurus
Link Posted: 5/31/2013 6:24:22 PM EDT
[#33]
Years ago, I owned an old Beretta 92 ( no letter behind it), it has the same safety system as the current Taurus'. My understanding was that Beretta did set up a plant in Brazil for a military contract. When Beretta changed designs to the 92S years later, they changed to the slide mounted safety. And somewhere around that time, they sold the Brazil plant and machinery to Taurus.  I may be wrong, but that would explain why Taurus still uses the frame mounted safety...maybe some legal agreement between the two companies....No proof, but years back I read this in a couple of gun rags...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 12:28:57 AM EDT
[#34]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:

[div style='text-indent: 20px;'] Using wikipedia as a de-facto source/refrence
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:
Quoted:

Quoted:

[div style='text-indent: 20px;'] Using wikipedia as a de-facto source/refrence

It's also on the Taurus website... Beretta set up shop in San Paulo to supply the Brazilian L.E.O. and Military Market with the then popular Beretta 92F (M9), The Italian manufacturing facility was involved in producing hand guns for the U.S. Military, and up to its ass in alligators when it came to producing thousands more for Brazil. Plus the fact that during that period, importing handguns into Brazil was a paperwork Charlie Foxtrot. , When that contract shit the bed, they sold the entire manufacturing facility (literally Lock, Stock, and Barrel...) to Taurus.

How do I know this? I live in Key Largo, 48 minutes from the Taurus U.S.A. Offices, and their C.O.O fishes with me at least once a month... We not only catch fish, we talk shop...
Link Posted: 8/8/2014 1:13:07 PM EDT
[#35]
In terms of pure design and safety placement I actually think the Taurus design better thought out, If only it was made by beretta
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:00:17 PM EDT
[#36]
CDNN has PT92AF's for $309 shipped right now!!!  ...must...resist...pulling...credit...card...out...
Link Posted: 9/17/2014 5:17:36 PM EDT
[#37]
Quoted:
In terms of pure design and safety placement I actually think the Taurus design better thought out, If only it was made by beretta
View Quote

Beretta had the thumb safety originally.  It was moved because cops used to double action revolvers couldn't handle the whole cocked and locked thing.

Taurus 92's are descended from the original frame safety model.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:07:54 PM EDT
[#38]
I would agree I have used both and I own the Taurus PT92. I find the safety more natural and I think any previous 1911 fan would find it a natural fit as well.
Link Posted: 9/26/2014 4:10:36 PM EDT
[#39]

Quoted:

CDNN has PT92AF's for $309 shipped right now!!!  ...must...resist...pulling...credit...card...out...
View Quote
WOW that's an insane price!

Link Posted: 9/26/2014 11:33:06 PM EDT
[#40]
Quoted:
Probably the BEST gun Taurus ever made.  I have one that I bought in the late 80's.  PT-99.  Still going strong.  Rear sight hasn't fell off yet like I have heard some have had issues with.
View Quote

My PT99 was purchased in 1986 or so. My rear sight did fall off after a couple mags of +P.   Factory replaced it with no hassles.
I don't shoot +P in it anymore.
Link Posted: 9/28/2014 2:48:38 AM EDT
[#41]

Quoted:

We have three, had them for years, zero problems or complaints.  I still prefer my Berettas, but my wife prefers the Tauri.
View Quote
It's actually a pretty simple mod couple of videos on YouTube that shows you how. Basically you need to make the make the mag slot a bit larger.

Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top