Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 2/10/2016 7:49:12 AM EDT
Looking to get a Kydex holster for my G19. I see some are closed on the barrel end and some are open. Any pros/cons with each?
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 8:22:34 AM EDT
[#1]
Closed holsters tend to collect dust and lint in the bottom of the holster. Not really a big deal imo.

As far as glocks go, some open bottom holsters are specifically designed that way to accept their big brothers with longer slides. An open bottom is also useful if you intend to carry with a threaded barrel.
Link Posted: 2/10/2016 3:42:05 PM EDT
[#2]
Appendix Config:
Closed end won't burn your balls if you're reholstering a hot gun.
Open end will accept larger size firearms (Glock 19 open end will fit a Glock 17) - Doesn't apply to all
Open end is easier to clean.

OWB Config:
Closed end traps dirt.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:01:05 AM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
Appendix Config:
Closed end won't burn your balls if you're reholstering a hot gun.
Open end will accept larger size firearms (Glock 19 open end will fit a Glock 17) - Doesn't apply to all

OWB Config:
Closed end traps dirt.
View Quote

I run an open holster in appendix position, and don't have any problems with the gun being hot when reholstering. I even run a threaded barrel, and don't have any issues.

A funny sidenote on the subject though, during a Vehicle Course I was in the passenger side for a drill and had a piece of hot brass from the drivers weapon fall into my holster.....that was, interesting
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:55:51 PM EDT
[#4]
If you carry while out in the woods, on the farm, or what have you - a closed bottom holster will keep dirt and debris out of the barrel if you happen to sit down on the ground, take a tumble, etc.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 5:59:35 PM EDT
[#5]
If you train hard (like you should) make sure that whatever configuration you buy, especially IWB, ensures that no matter how you move, the muzzle can't hit skin.

Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:48:11 AM EDT
[#6]
Quoted:
If you train hard (like you should) make sure that whatever configuration you buy, especially IWB, ensures that no matter how you move, the muzzle can't hit skin.

View Quote

You training in a tactical G string?
Link Posted: 2/15/2016 2:59:17 AM EDT
[#7]

Quoted:
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

Phht, I roll commando...  

but you won't see me in a black beanie, turtle neck, and a climbing rope.
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top