Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Link Posted: 1/26/2016 2:55:41 PM EDT
[#1]

I got an XC-1 to try on one of my G19s. So far I really like it. I still need to get a holster for the setup, though.

So far the constant on/off thing doesn't seem like as big a deal as I thought and/or people make it out to be. Is it possible to do it with one hand? No. Is that a deal breaker for me? No.

Link Posted: 2/3/2016 3:41:10 PM EDT
[#2]
I think the XC1 is currently crippled, until/unless they release a DG switch for it, and then it is still somewhat of a niche light. It is not a light that will cover CCW in a movie theater and nightstand use IMHO.

As a CCW light requiring two hands to operate is probably OK. Reactive use is what is anticipated. If you draw reactively it you're likely using two hands to clear a cover garment so you have two hands free to activate the momentary switch. But the output is only really sufficient for close-range affairs. The XC1 doesn't have "movie theater distance" throw.

The output is decent for home defense use -- the beam reminds me of the x200B -- good for filling a residential room. But currently without the ability to activate the light and shoot with one hand (the other hand holding a flashlight, door, kid, etc) it fails. If/when they release a DG switch for it it might be able to do double duty as a close range CCW/home defense light. By then maybe the XC1A will be out with more throw.

Since the XC1 is not really QD like the X300, I can't really swap it on/off for the X300 when I go to the movies, and at home I much prefer the X400. So I'm happily l living with the X300U and the Raven VG3 when I want to carry a light.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 10:59:44 PM EDT
[#3]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
I think the XC1 is currently crippled, until/unless they release a DG switch for it, and then it is still somewhat of a niche light. It is not a light that will cover CCW in a movie theater and nightstand use IMHO.

As a CCW light requiring two hands to operate is probably OK. Reactive use is what is anticipated. If you draw reactively it you're likely using two hands to clear a cover garment so you have two hands free to activate the momentary switch. But the output is only really sufficient for close-range affairs. The XC1 doesn't have "movie theater distance" throw.

The output is decent for home defense use -- the beam reminds me of the x200B -- good for filling a residential room. But currently without the ability to activate the light and shoot with one hand (the other hand holding a flashlight, door, kid, etc) it fails. If/when they release a DG switch for it it might be able to do double duty as a close range CCW/home defense light. By then maybe the XC1A will be out with more throw.

Since the XC1 is not really QD like the X300, I can't really swap it on/off for the X300 when I go to the movies, and at home I much prefer the X400. So I'm happily l living with the X300U and the Raven VG3 when I want to carry a light.
View Quote

You use your EDC gun for bedside and "movie theater" duty??  

EDC (currently) Glock 19 with an XC1
Bedside  M&P 9 FS with a Veridian C5L
Theater / Known high threat environment   Glock 17 with a TLR-1 HL

Each one fills a specific role.
Each one has a dedicated carry system. IWB and a OWB holster and multiple mag pouches.
If you are looking for one light to fill every need then your going to be disappointed.
Link Posted: 2/3/2016 11:28:49 PM EDT
[#4]
After using my BCA w/XC-1 for a week or so, it is much more comfortable than my Phantom w/TLR.
Link Posted: 2/4/2016 1:02:09 AM EDT
[#5]
No, I agree totally. I think some of the objections to the XC-1 are from people who want it to do everything, when it can't.

I EDC a G19 with no light during the day, a G19 with X300U at night or in theater. G20SF/X400 for nightstand.

Quoted:
You use your EDC gun for bedside and "movie theater" duty??  

EDC (currently) Glock 19 with an XC1
Bedside  M&P 9 FS with a Veridian C5L
Theater / Known high threat environment   Glock 17 with a TLR-1 HL

Each one fills a specific role.
Each one has a dedicated carry system. IWB and a OWB holster and multiple mag pouches.
If you are looking for one light to fill every need then your going to be disappointed.
View Quote
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 3:44:46 AM EDT
[#6]
Well shit. So I had issues with the battery draining just sitting there. Put a new battery in on Jan 16th. Let it sit for 10 days. Gave it a quick on off and worked fine. Fast forward to today, lights dead

Batteries used were some Duracell alkaline with a use by date of March 2020. Should I try again with a lithium cell battery?

Of course I don't have the box or recipt. Think surefire will take care of me?
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 9:35:58 AM EDT
[#7]
Quoted:
Well shit. So I had issues with the battery draining just sitting there. Put a new battery in on Jan 16th. Let it sit for 10 days. Gave it a quick on off and worked fine. Fast forward to today, lights dead

Batteries used were some Duracell alkaline with a use by date of March 2020. Should I try again with a lithium cell battery?

Of course I don't have the box or recipt. Think surefire will take care of me?
View Quote

I wouldn't think the alkaline would die that quick unless maybe it was stored in the cold, but seeing how your in CA I doubt that's very likely.  Was the alkaline brand new? The use by date doesn't mean too much by itself.  I'd try again, but then if there's still a problem I'd think Surefire would fix it even without a receipt as long as it isn't a knockoff.  Personally, I'm sticking to lithium batteries for mine.  Longer run time but more importantly to me they're better for functioning in the cold.  My work is a PFZ so the gun is regularly left in the car in Michigan winter temps.

A quick search brought me to http://www.candlepowerforums.com/vb/showthread.php?279091-Question-about-Surefire-s-Warranty where it looks like they won't ask for a receipt.  Good to know since one reason to buy Surefire is for the excellent warranty.  But I've never had a problem with anything Surefire to use it yet.
Link Posted: 2/6/2016 12:45:59 PM EDT
[#8]
Alkalines were not new, and even though my barracks room occasionally blows cold air instead if hot air during the winter, it's not like I was storing my XC1 in the fridge. I have a package of two week old lithium still in the package that I'm going to try out. I'll check them out in a week. Then its back to surefure. Thanks.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 2:12:31 PM EDT
[#9]
I like mine.

Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:05:07 PM EDT
[#10]
Quoted:
Alkalines were not new, and even though my barracks room occasionally blows cold air instead if hot air during the winter, it's not like I was storing my XC1 in the fridge. I have a package of two week old lithium still in the package that I'm going to try out. I'll check them out in a week. Then its back to surefure. Thanks.
View Quote

How's this problem working out for you?

I came across what seems to be an intermittent problem this week.  I had mine refuse to light up with either the momentary paddles or the on switch.  It happened under live fire recoil and also after just racking the slide during dry drills.  Then it starts working again after playing with it a minute.   I tried a new battery and tightened the battery cap, but it happened again once.  I can't seem to do anything to force it and it most always works.  I'm not sure they'd be able to see the problem if I tried to warranty it.  I'm hoping it gets worse or I find out circumstances that can duplicate the problem.  

I didn't notice any problems until I started wotking with it heavily after finally getting a compatible holster.
Link Posted: 2/9/2016 7:50:04 PM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

I came across what seems to be an intermittent problem this week.  I had mine refuse to light up with either the momentary paddles or the on switch.  It happened under live fire recoil and also after just racking the slide during dry drills.  Then it starts working again after playing with it a minute.   I tried a new battery and tightened the battery cap, but it happened again once.  I can't seem to do anything to force it and it most always works.  I'm not sure they'd be able to see the problem if I tried to warranty it.  I'm hoping it gets worse or I find out circumstances that can duplicate the problem.  

I didn't notice any problems until I started wotking with it heavily after finally getting a compatible holster.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:

Quoted:

I replaced the battery with a newer lithium about 4-5 days ago. Just gave it a momentary on and flared up brightly. So far so good. I'll check it again in another 4-5 days and then keep an eye on it.
Link Posted: 2/13/2016 4:04:40 AM EDT
[#12]
Quoted:
I like mine.

<a href="http://s186.photobucket.com/user/heavymetal1182/media/P1020097_zps5ghaudei.jpg.html" target="_blank">http://i186.photobucket.com/albums/x87/heavymetal1182/P1020097_zps5ghaudei.jpg</a>
View Quote

Man I love how beat up that 320 is, I like to see tools being used as tools.
Link Posted: 2/14/2016 10:24:18 PM EDT
[#13]
I wanted this light until I saw how unfriendly it is to left handed shooters. If I could the power on button to be on the other side I would bite.
Page / 2
Next Page Arrow Left
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top