Close

Confirm Action

Are you sure you wish to do this?

Confirm Cancel
BCM
User Panel

Site Notices
Posted: 8/22/2015 10:09:53 PM EDT
I've been using leather  Ccw belts for a few years I think I want to try something different.
Can you guys recommend me a new belt? Is Ares the best?
Will be worn everyday with or without gun.
Thanks for your time!
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:27:38 PM EDT
[#1]
Volund gear works. However I have found the leather more comfortable having used both. The burnishing on the sides is more friendly than the sharpness of the nylon scuba webbing.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:55:21 PM EDT
[#2]
When you say leather do you mean a typical "leather" belt or a reinforced leather gun belt?
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 10:55:27 PM EDT
[#3]
Atlas Volund.  http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/  Every day for five years now and it looks as good today as it did new.
Link Posted: 8/22/2015 11:12:17 PM EDT
[#4]
The best gun belt I own is the polyester-reinforced leather belt that The Belt Man makes.  (And I've owned a lot of gun belts!)  

If you go this route get a 7 hole, rather than a 5 hole, tongue; and add 2 inches to your normal belt size in order to accommodate ITB carry.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:02:02 AM EDT
[#5]
I've never found any reason to look beyond the Wilderness Instructor Belt, although I do prefer the Frequent Flyer model with the Delrin rings instead of the metal buckle.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:07:44 AM EDT
[#6]
I've been using my Ares belt everyday for 5 years and other than a little finish missing off the buckle it's still as good as day 1.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:07:54 AM EDT
[#7]
Discussion ForumsJump to Quoted PostQuote History
Quoted:
When you say leather do you mean a typical "leather" belt or a reinforced leather gun belt?
View Quote

No not typical belt. Either reinforced leather or custom 2 layer thick leather belt.
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:11:51 AM EDT
[#8]
Quoted:

No not typical belt. Either reinforced leather or custom 2 layer thick leather belt.
View Quote View All Quotes
View All Quotes
Quoted:
Quoted:

Ok got ya. Some people say leather and it really is just a leather dress belt.

I can't help ya out on non leather. I prefer Blade Tech Looper reinforced seires belts
Link Posted: 8/23/2015 8:21:44 AM EDT
[#9]
Quoted:
Atlas Volund.  http://www.volundgearworks.com/belts/  Every day for five years now and it looks as good today as it did new.
View Quote

This right here.
Link Posted: 8/24/2015 7:31:51 AM EDT
[#10]
I have 3 belts that were provided by a former employer that were required for technicians to wear during work. We had tools hanging off of us at times. Heavy, thick leather with solid buckles, yet did not look or feel like a tow strap. I tried on one of the 511 belts, it was way to stiff for comfort for me.

If and when my old work belts wear out. I will scour the internet for the belts. They don't look much different than they did 10 years ago. They came from one  of the 2 uniform companies that we used.
Link Posted: 8/25/2015 12:00:27 AM EDT
[#11]

Quoted:

Volund gear works. However I have found the leather more comfortable having used both. The burnishing on the sides is more friendly than the sharpness of the nylon scuba webbing.
View Quote

That's a Volund problem, not a nylon problem. Wilderness for example has a sooth edge.
Link Posted: 8/26/2015 9:27:07 PM EDT
[#12]
I bought an Ares belt last year and have not looked back.  Very nice belt!
Link Posted: 8/28/2015 3:36:34 PM EDT
[#13]
For nylon, I run a Volund G-hook belt... it's simply awesome. Quck on, quick off.
For leather, I run A better belt usa perfect fit and ultimate bullhide belt. Comfortable and looks great!
Link Posted: 8/30/2015 10:19:27 PM EDT
[#14]
Ares Aegis. Just got mine in and its been great so far.
Much better than the Ranger as it sits really flat behind the buckle.
Link Posted: 9/1/2015 10:13:35 PM EDT
[#16]
I just ordered one of these. Needed something a little dressier than an Ares ranger belt for my wedding. Should be here this week.

http://www.meangeneleather.com/shop/mgl-victory-aegis-black/

If you are wanting something other than leather, you can't go wrong with an Ares ranger. Love mine for over two years.

Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:02:34 PM EDT
[#17]
http://www.laruetactical.com/aegis-enhanced-belt-black-buckle-ares-gear is 500 times better than a Wilderness Instructor Belt.

Posted Via AR15.Com Mobile
Link Posted: 9/4/2015 11:08:30 PM EDT
[#18]
I have always been happy with Galco's belts.
Link Posted: 9/6/2015 10:35:03 PM EDT
[#19]
Ok narrowed it down a little. I really like the ares aegis belt but is it worth the money compared to a wilderness instructor belt? It's double the price. What makes it that much better?
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 8:46:14 AM EDT
[#20]
Quoted:
Ok narrowed it down a little. I really like the ares aegis belt but is it worth the money compared to a wilderness instructor belt? It's double the price. What makes it that much better?
View Quote

There is no velcro to wear out.  It is stiffer than a 5 stitch so you don't have to cinch it as tight.
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 10:07:33 AM EDT
[#21]
Since there is no Velcro on the aegis, does the buckle hold it tight enough? I assume it does. I think I'll give one a try. Thanks
Link Posted: 9/7/2015 11:19:16 AM EDT
[#22]
Quoted:
Since there is no Velcro on the aegis, does the buckle hold it tight enough? I assume it does. I think I'll give one a try. Thanks
View Quote

Tighter than a Wilderness imo.  It is a box frame buckle.You can read about it here.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Belt_buckle
Link Posted: 9/11/2015 8:39:46 PM EDT
[#23]
I've been very very happy with my beltman.  Took a little while to get here (custom made one), but damn, it's nice.  My favorite gun belt of all time.

I also have an aries cobra belt, which I like, but not nearly as much as the beltman belt.
Link Posted: 9/12/2015 12:20:21 PM EDT
[#24]
Quoted:
I've been very very happy with my beltman.  Took a little while to get here (custom made one), but damn, it's nice.  My favorite gun belt of all time.

I also have an aries cobra belt, which I like, but not nearly as much as the beltman belt.
View Quote

There's just something about a finely crafted leather belt!
Link Posted: 9/13/2015 10:07:08 PM EDT
[#25]
my buddy has one of the Mean Gene belts, and they are the stuff.  I'll get one at some point to replace my wilderness belt.
Link Posted: 9/25/2015 10:16:37 PM EDT
[#26]
all of the belts listed are great. but the best value I have is a lenwood leather conveyor belt. its, you guessed it, conveyor belt. so its thick, stiff and durable. synthetic, so it doesn't lose stiffness over time. I have had mine for a year and they come in under $30. they are certainly not cheap mass produced pieces of junk either. its a one man shop and he does leather belts as well. check em out at www.lenwood.com
Close Join Our Mail List to Stay Up To Date! Win a FREE Membership!

Sign up for the ARFCOM weekly newsletter and be entered to win a free ARFCOM membership. One new winner* is announced every week!

You will receive an email every Friday morning featuring the latest chatter from the hottest topics, breaking news surrounding legislation, as well as exclusive deals only available to ARFCOM email subscribers.

By signing up you agree to our User Agreement. *Must have a registered ARFCOM account to win.
Top Top